Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:27 am in Classic Menswear
- Meermin MTO Austerity Brogue 10UK Olfe Last post on 7/16/14 at 8:02am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Meermin Shoes..? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn Style
Last edited: 10/14/15
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 58
Styleforum Top Pickspost #857 of 140776/17/12 at 1:20pmpost #858 of 140776/17/12 at 3:32pmpost #859 of 140776/17/12 at 7:34pm
Am organizing a group order for this:
In this colour:
It is a MTO on the Olfie last. As this is a really big order, you guys will get a very special price that is inclusive of shipping and I can tell you that the savings is quite substantial. There is only a quota of 5 left so let me know if anyone is interested via PM.post #860 of 140776/17/12 at 8:10pmQuote:
100 Euros more? Or USD/local currency? Your other one may not have included shipping? If not, we've started to see the price rise we were expecting.post #861 of 140776/17/12 at 8:24pmpost #862 of 140776/17/12 at 9:10pm
I hate buying shoes.
It used to be so simple. Buy a decent pair of sneakers. End of story.
These days, my shoe vocabulary include such esoteric terms such as "dark oak" and "museum calf". Seriously, who lives this way?
I'm at a point where I want to expand my shoe collection beyond the standard AE and Alden offerings. The problem is, even though I live in a large US city, I do not have easy access to try on shoes like C&J, EG, Vass, etc.
It also does not help that I am surrounded by friends who are able to travel to fulfill their shoe fetishes. Their passive aggressive comments ("In London, there are C&J stores within two blocks of each other!") finally pushed me over the edge.
I'm a big proponent of filling holes in my shoe collection before upgrading existing shoes. One of the missing pieces is that I have no split-toe shoes in my collection. This is something I intend to rectify. Of course, I also don't have a split-toe shoe in cordovan leather either. Maybe I should get that instead. But wait, I definitely don't have a split-toe in cordovan with full norvegesse. That would fill *a lot* of holes in my collection!
At this point, I decided to take a step back.
I realized that I can make some educated guesses, but I really have no clue how the shoes are going to fit until they are on my feet.
So maybe I should get a pair of shoes from Meermin and see how they fit before diving in any deeper. That would be the sensible thing to do. I can always order more shoes later.
Hmm. There appears to be a high level of correlation between my purchasing decisions and more shoes.
I measure 9.5C on the Brannock. I wear 9D in AE 5 last, 9C in Alden Barrie.
The standard width for New Rey is E. Based on the pictures of New Rey shoes, it looks like a long narrow last, similar to the AE 2 last.
After consulting with Pepe Albaladejo and some other forum members, I decided to MTO the shoes in 8.5 EE size because the standard E size would probably be too narrow/too low volume. One of my foot has a slightly high instep so I rather have more volume than not enough.
This is the order I decided to go with.
Collection: Meermin 'Linea Maestro'
Style: 102374/Norwegian derby
Last: MTO New Rey
Lasting: Hand lasted
Upper Leather: Naturcalf Cuero (Light Brown) (Tannerie d'Annonay - France)
Lining Leather: navy
Sole: Full leather channeled sole
Edge finishing: Standard
Sole finishing: 'Planta paloma' 7 clavos
Construction: GY-2/ Hand-sewn goodyear welted
Including MTO and shipping costs, it came to $400 US. At least, that was the exchange rate when I ordered it in March.
Meermin actually had to create a new last in New Rey 8.5 EE because one wasn't available. If anyone else wants to MTO New Rey in 8.5EE, things just got easier for you.
I only arrived at my order after a very lengthy email exchange that included many other shoe lasts and styles. Customer service was top notch. Pepe Albaladejo (Meermin) was incredibly responsive.
Did I really MTO a pair of shoes in an unknown last that I have never tried on? I must be crazy. I guess that's ok because this forum is full of crazy people that do this all the time.
After about 10 weeks, Pepe emailed me that he is shipping out the shoes. FedEx took their pound of flesh ($29) in the form of a "brokerage fee".
The color is light brown with a bit of red.
Length is good. Whenever I go up in length or width, I worry about heel slippage. In my 10 minutes of carpet surfing, heel slippage was minimal to non-existent. Really glad I went up to the EE width. The shoe fits comfortably snug in toe box and vamp, but not tight. I believe the standard E width would have been too small for me. Will have more details once I break in these shoes a bit.
As for my next shoe? Well, I don't have a stingray in my collection either...
post #863 of 140776/17/12 at 9:12pmpost #864 of 140776/17/12 at 9:31pmpost #865 of 140776/17/12 at 9:37pmQuote:
Yes invoice number. MTO price was 290 euros for shell, 50 euro MTO fee and 35 euro shipping. Added in shoe trees as well. Total cost was ~350ish euros, not surepost #866 of 140776/18/12 at 12:09amQuote:Originally Posted by terrorsquad
Am organizing a group order for this:
In this colour:
It is a MTO on the Olfie last. As this is a really big order, you guys will get a very special price that is inclusive of shipping and I can tell you that the savings is quite substantial. There is only a quota of 5 left so let me know if anyone is interested via PM.
Thats a shame ive just (last week) ordered the same shoe on the same last (Olfe not Olfie) in the same colour !!!!
How many do you need and how many have you already got ?post #867 of 140776/18/12 at 12:15amQuote:
Your correct, its Olfe. I only need another 3 pairs and then the order will be closed =) I actually was inspired by your post though if i'm not mistaken, you ordered it in a dark brown correct?This will be in burgundy or bordeaux, which will be confirmed tonight.post #868 of 140776/18/12 at 12:23ampost #869 of 140776/18/12 at 1:55ampost #870 of 140776/18/12 at 10:57am
I am ready to pull the trigger on my first MTO order. Thinking of the Austerity Brogue (se model below) in either light brown (se colour on the semi brogue below) or dark brown.
So, appreciate your input. As a general preference I'm in favour of the lighter brown- Will it look good on this model?
Secondly; I am considering whether it would look better or worse with a medallion on the toe cap. What do you think? An example would be C&J Handgrade Russel.
Looking forward to hear you comments!
- Meermin Mallorca Shoes
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Styling Doc Martens 29 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 1 minute ago
- › Reigning Champ Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 2 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 7 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories