Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:42 am in Classic Menswear
- Meermin MTO Austerity Brogue 10UK Olfe Last post on 7/16/14 at 8:02am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Meermin Shoes..? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Meermin 10164 brogues UK 8 (fits UK 7.5) ** DROP ** Last post on 4/20/16 at 3:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 58post #857 of 148476/17/12 at 1:20pmpost #858 of 148476/17/12 at 3:32pmpost #859 of 148476/17/12 at 7:34pm
Am organizing a group order for this:
In this colour:
It is a MTO on the Olfie last. As this is a really big order, you guys will get a very special price that is inclusive of shipping and I can tell you that the savings is quite substantial. There is only a quota of 5 left so let me know if anyone is interested via PM.post #860 of 148476/17/12 at 8:10pmQuote:
100 Euros more? Or USD/local currency? Your other one may not have included shipping? If not, we've started to see the price rise we were expecting.post #861 of 148476/17/12 at 8:24pmpost #862 of 148476/17/12 at 9:10pm
I hate buying shoes.
It used to be so simple. Buy a decent pair of sneakers. End of story.
These days, my shoe vocabulary include such esoteric terms such as "dark oak" and "museum calf". Seriously, who lives this way?
I'm at a point where I want to expand my shoe collection beyond the standard AE and Alden offerings. The problem is, even though I live in a large US city, I do not have easy access to try on shoes like C&J, EG, Vass, etc.
It also does not help that I am surrounded by friends who are able to travel to fulfill their shoe fetishes. Their passive aggressive comments ("In London, there are C&J stores within two blocks of each other!") finally pushed me over the edge.
I'm a big proponent of filling holes in my shoe collection before upgrading existing shoes. One of the missing pieces is that I have no split-toe shoes in my collection. This is something I intend to rectify. Of course, I also don't have a split-toe shoe in cordovan leather either. Maybe I should get that instead. But wait, I definitely don't have a split-toe in cordovan with full norvegesse. That would fill *a lot* of holes in my collection!
At this point, I decided to take a step back.
I realized that I can make some educated guesses, but I really have no clue how the shoes are going to fit until they are on my feet.
So maybe I should get a pair of shoes from Meermin and see how they fit before diving in any deeper. That would be the sensible thing to do. I can always order more shoes later.
Hmm. There appears to be a high level of correlation between my purchasing decisions and more shoes.
I measure 9.5C on the Brannock. I wear 9D in AE 5 last, 9C in Alden Barrie.
The standard width for New Rey is E. Based on the pictures of New Rey shoes, it looks like a long narrow last, similar to the AE 2 last.
After consulting with Pepe Albaladejo and some other forum members, I decided to MTO the shoes in 8.5 EE size because the standard E size would probably be too narrow/too low volume. One of my foot has a slightly high instep so I rather have more volume than not enough.
This is the order I decided to go with.
Collection: Meermin 'Linea Maestro'
Style: 102374/Norwegian derby
Last: MTO New Rey
Lasting: Hand lasted
Upper Leather: Naturcalf Cuero (Light Brown) (Tannerie d'Annonay - France)
Lining Leather: navy
Sole: Full leather channeled sole
Edge finishing: Standard
Sole finishing: 'Planta paloma' 7 clavos
Construction: GY-2/ Hand-sewn goodyear welted
Including MTO and shipping costs, it came to $400 US. At least, that was the exchange rate when I ordered it in March.
Meermin actually had to create a new last in New Rey 8.5 EE because one wasn't available. If anyone else wants to MTO New Rey in 8.5EE, things just got easier for you.
I only arrived at my order after a very lengthy email exchange that included many other shoe lasts and styles. Customer service was top notch. Pepe Albaladejo (Meermin) was incredibly responsive.
Did I really MTO a pair of shoes in an unknown last that I have never tried on? I must be crazy. I guess that's ok because this forum is full of crazy people that do this all the time.
After about 10 weeks, Pepe emailed me that he is shipping out the shoes. FedEx took their pound of flesh ($29) in the form of a "brokerage fee".
The color is light brown with a bit of red.
Length is good. Whenever I go up in length or width, I worry about heel slippage. In my 10 minutes of carpet surfing, heel slippage was minimal to non-existent. Really glad I went up to the EE width. The shoe fits comfortably snug in toe box and vamp, but not tight. I believe the standard E width would have been too small for me. Will have more details once I break in these shoes a bit.
As for my next shoe? Well, I don't have a stingray in my collection either...
post #863 of 148476/17/12 at 9:12pmpost #864 of 148476/17/12 at 9:31pmpost #865 of 148476/17/12 at 9:37pmQuote:
Yes invoice number. MTO price was 290 euros for shell, 50 euro MTO fee and 35 euro shipping. Added in shoe trees as well. Total cost was ~350ish euros, not surepost #866 of 148476/18/12 at 12:09amQuote:Originally Posted by terrorsquad
Am organizing a group order for this:
In this colour:
It is a MTO on the Olfie last. As this is a really big order, you guys will get a very special price that is inclusive of shipping and I can tell you that the savings is quite substantial. There is only a quota of 5 left so let me know if anyone is interested via PM.
Thats a shame ive just (last week) ordered the same shoe on the same last (Olfe not Olfie) in the same colour !!!!
How many do you need and how many have you already got ?post #867 of 148476/18/12 at 12:15amQuote:
Your correct, its Olfe. I only need another 3 pairs and then the order will be closed =) I actually was inspired by your post though if i'm not mistaken, you ordered it in a dark brown correct?This will be in burgundy or bordeaux, which will be confirmed tonight.post #868 of 148476/18/12 at 12:23ampost #869 of 148476/18/12 at 1:55ampost #870 of 148476/18/12 at 10:57am
I am ready to pull the trigger on my first MTO order. Thinking of the Austerity Brogue (se model below) in either light brown (se colour on the semi brogue below) or dark brown.
So, appreciate your input. As a general preference I'm in favour of the lighter brown- Will it look good on this model?
Secondly; I am considering whether it would look better or worse with a medallion on the toe cap. What do you think? An example would be C&J Handgrade Russel.
Looking forward to hear you comments!
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › 5/2/2016 - 5/20/2016 SW&D Challenge: Rainwear 3 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 18 seconds ago
- › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread 56 seconds ago
- › Recent flawless ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA black 100% Cashmere Peak Lapel... 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Stephane Jimenez Bespoke Shoes 9 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 11 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts