Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:11 pm in Classic Menswear
- Meermin MTO Austerity Brogue 10UK Olfe Last post on 7/16/14 at 8:02am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Meermin Shoes..? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Meermin 10164 brogues UK 8 (fits UK 7.5) ** DROP ** Last post on 12/31/15 at 12:01pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Last edited: Yesterday
- Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want with Saphir cream polish?Last edited: Yesterday
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: Yesterday
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 58
Styleforum Top Pickspost #857 of 144486/17/12 at 1:20pmpost #858 of 144486/17/12 at 3:32pmpost #859 of 144486/17/12 at 7:34pm
Am organizing a group order for this:
In this colour:
It is a MTO on the Olfie last. As this is a really big order, you guys will get a very special price that is inclusive of shipping and I can tell you that the savings is quite substantial. There is only a quota of 5 left so let me know if anyone is interested via PM.post #860 of 144486/17/12 at 8:10pmQuote:
100 Euros more? Or USD/local currency? Your other one may not have included shipping? If not, we've started to see the price rise we were expecting.post #861 of 144486/17/12 at 8:24pmpost #862 of 144486/17/12 at 9:10pm
I hate buying shoes.
It used to be so simple. Buy a decent pair of sneakers. End of story.
These days, my shoe vocabulary include such esoteric terms such as "dark oak" and "museum calf". Seriously, who lives this way?
I'm at a point where I want to expand my shoe collection beyond the standard AE and Alden offerings. The problem is, even though I live in a large US city, I do not have easy access to try on shoes like C&J, EG, Vass, etc.
It also does not help that I am surrounded by friends who are able to travel to fulfill their shoe fetishes. Their passive aggressive comments ("In London, there are C&J stores within two blocks of each other!") finally pushed me over the edge.
I'm a big proponent of filling holes in my shoe collection before upgrading existing shoes. One of the missing pieces is that I have no split-toe shoes in my collection. This is something I intend to rectify. Of course, I also don't have a split-toe shoe in cordovan leather either. Maybe I should get that instead. But wait, I definitely don't have a split-toe in cordovan with full norvegesse. That would fill *a lot* of holes in my collection!
At this point, I decided to take a step back.
I realized that I can make some educated guesses, but I really have no clue how the shoes are going to fit until they are on my feet.
So maybe I should get a pair of shoes from Meermin and see how they fit before diving in any deeper. That would be the sensible thing to do. I can always order more shoes later.
Hmm. There appears to be a high level of correlation between my purchasing decisions and more shoes.
I measure 9.5C on the Brannock. I wear 9D in AE 5 last, 9C in Alden Barrie.
The standard width for New Rey is E. Based on the pictures of New Rey shoes, it looks like a long narrow last, similar to the AE 2 last.
After consulting with Pepe Albaladejo and some other forum members, I decided to MTO the shoes in 8.5 EE size because the standard E size would probably be too narrow/too low volume. One of my foot has a slightly high instep so I rather have more volume than not enough.
This is the order I decided to go with.
Collection: Meermin 'Linea Maestro'
Style: 102374/Norwegian derby
Last: MTO New Rey
Lasting: Hand lasted
Upper Leather: Naturcalf Cuero (Light Brown) (Tannerie d'Annonay - France)
Lining Leather: navy
Sole: Full leather channeled sole
Edge finishing: Standard
Sole finishing: 'Planta paloma' 7 clavos
Construction: GY-2/ Hand-sewn goodyear welted
Including MTO and shipping costs, it came to $400 US. At least, that was the exchange rate when I ordered it in March.
Meermin actually had to create a new last in New Rey 8.5 EE because one wasn't available. If anyone else wants to MTO New Rey in 8.5EE, things just got easier for you.
I only arrived at my order after a very lengthy email exchange that included many other shoe lasts and styles. Customer service was top notch. Pepe Albaladejo (Meermin) was incredibly responsive.
Did I really MTO a pair of shoes in an unknown last that I have never tried on? I must be crazy. I guess that's ok because this forum is full of crazy people that do this all the time.
After about 10 weeks, Pepe emailed me that he is shipping out the shoes. FedEx took their pound of flesh ($29) in the form of a "brokerage fee".
The color is light brown with a bit of red.
Length is good. Whenever I go up in length or width, I worry about heel slippage. In my 10 minutes of carpet surfing, heel slippage was minimal to non-existent. Really glad I went up to the EE width. The shoe fits comfortably snug in toe box and vamp, but not tight. I believe the standard E width would have been too small for me. Will have more details once I break in these shoes a bit.
As for my next shoe? Well, I don't have a stingray in my collection either...
post #863 of 144486/17/12 at 9:12pmpost #864 of 144486/17/12 at 9:31pmpost #865 of 144486/17/12 at 9:37pmQuote:
Yes invoice number. MTO price was 290 euros for shell, 50 euro MTO fee and 35 euro shipping. Added in shoe trees as well. Total cost was ~350ish euros, not surepost #866 of 144486/18/12 at 12:09amQuote:Originally Posted by terrorsquad
Am organizing a group order for this:
In this colour:
It is a MTO on the Olfie last. As this is a really big order, you guys will get a very special price that is inclusive of shipping and I can tell you that the savings is quite substantial. There is only a quota of 5 left so let me know if anyone is interested via PM.
Thats a shame ive just (last week) ordered the same shoe on the same last (Olfe not Olfie) in the same colour !!!!
How many do you need and how many have you already got ?post #867 of 144486/18/12 at 12:15amQuote:
Your correct, its Olfe. I only need another 3 pairs and then the order will be closed =) I actually was inspired by your post though if i'm not mistaken, you ordered it in a dark brown correct?This will be in burgundy or bordeaux, which will be confirmed tonight.post #868 of 144486/18/12 at 12:23ampost #869 of 144486/18/12 at 1:55ampost #870 of 144486/18/12 at 10:57am
I am ready to pull the trigger on my first MTO order. Thinking of the Austerity Brogue (se model below) in either light brown (se colour on the semi brogue below) or dark brown.
So, appreciate your input. As a general preference I'm in favour of the lighter brown- Will it look good on this model?
Secondly; I am considering whether it would look better or worse with a medallion on the toe cap. What do you think? An example would be C&J Handgrade Russel.
Looking forward to hear you comments!
- Meermin Mallorca Shoes
Styleforum Top Picks
- Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want with Saphir cream polish?
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 24 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 1 minute ago
- › When is the Next Ralph Lauren Sale? 1 minute ago
- › 200k Push-Ups in 2016 2 minutes ago
- › 2016 Presidential Caucus and Primary Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 2 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...