or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 549

post #8221 of 11779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpo View Post
 

I am looking for black cap toe oxfords and was wondering if you could advise on how the following four models compare:

 

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1971

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2033

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=4042

Loake 1880 Aldwych

 

Which one would you reommend?


The first one is the New Rey. Very sleek and narrow. Lots of lacing holes.

Second and third one are the same shape, both the Hiro last which is pretty much an average, classis oxford last. The difference is that the third one is made of horse butt and is a quarter broque (perforations on the edge of the toe cap).

 

If you are looking for a standard-issue every day black shoe I would choose the second one. If you have narrow feet or like elongated lasts the first one might be the best choice. Because it is in the superior Linea Maestro line it has better construction and leather and is therefore more expensive. The third one just had more expensive leather but theoretically the same construction quality as the second one.

post #8222 of 11779

Yeah if you have the money to spend get something in the Linea Maestro range or the shell cordovan options would be the go, the classic line shoes are good value for money (and im quite happy with my brown cap toe oxfords, thanks meermin) but the leather and construction on them imo is a little behind the Loake you referenced.  A lot of the classic loakes also tend to run a little wider so less likely to have sizing issues.

post #8223 of 11779
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Tatters View Post

The third one just had more expensive leather but theoretically the same construction quality as the second one.
I'm pretty sure Meermin's shell is built with Linea Maestro standards.
post #8224 of 11779
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd13jd13 View Post


I'm pretty sure Meermin's shell is built with Linea Maestro standards.

 

All the LM appear to be GY2 handwelted, the shell linked above has machine welted on the page just like the classic line.

post #8225 of 11779

Trying to get Pepe to make me a pair of burgundy shell longwings. Thought it might be a good Alden alternative

 

They used to sell them but they are gone now so i suppose my only option is MTO.

 

Here they were before on their tumblr.

post #8226 of 11779
Why is a sky welt?
post #8227 of 11779

Sky welt is a decoration. Does nothing good except ruins the aesthetics of many shoes.

 

Sky welt

 

 

Flat welt

 

post #8228 of 11779

More than aesthetics isn't the purpose of a storm/sky welt to prevent water from potentially getting in to the small space that can exist on a flat welt?

post #8229 of 11779
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Tatters View Post
 


The first one is the New Rey. Very sleek and narrow. Lots of lacing holes.

Second and third one are the same shape, both the Hiro last which is pretty much an average, classis oxford last. The difference is that the third one is made of horse butt and is a quarter broque (perforations on the edge of the toe cap).

 

If you are looking for a standard-issue every day black shoe I would choose the second one. If you have narrow feet or like elongated lasts the first one might be the best choice. Because it is in the superior Linea Maestro line it has better construction and leather and is therefore more expensive. The third one just had more expensive leather but theoretically the same construction quality as the second one.

 

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will probably go for the cheaper option (second one) as a first Meermin shoe. I heard that the Hiro last is similar to the Loake capital. I have the Loake Strands in 10, would you recommend getting the Hiro in 10 or 10.5 UK? I have fairly wide feet so the capital fits me well.

post #8230 of 11779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpo View Post
 

 

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will probably go for the cheaper option (second one) as a first Meermin shoe. I heard that the Hiro last is similar to the Loake capital. I have the Loake Strands in 10, would you recommend getting the Hiro in 10 or 10.5 UK? I have fairly wide feet so the capital fits me well.

 

I would definitely go up.  I have the Churchill on the 8 capital last and an 8 in the hiro is pretty snug eg id go up half a size or a full size next time I ordered snug.

post #8231 of 11779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris2012 View Post
 

More than aesthetics isn't the purpose of a storm/sky welt to prevent water from potentially getting in to the small space that can exist on a flat welt?


Yes this is the official truth. Personally I feel it is more about aesthetics and of making a heavy shoe like a long wing / country brogue look more robust than about the usefulness of preventing water from ruining ones day. Unless someone enjoys jumping in ponds with their expensive shoes just for shits and giggles.

post #8232 of 11779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris2012 View Post

I would definitely go up.  I have the Churchill on the 8 capital last and an 8 in the hiro is pretty snug eg id go up half a size or a full size next time I ordered snug.

I agree; if the capital last fits snugly I would go up half a size.
post #8233 of 11779

Gentleman, the plum museum MTO is scheduled to be sent out at the end of this month. Will send some pics of it soon. 

 

Also, here are some pics of the prototype last compared to the Ben last; the toebox will be widened a bit more. I will have a look at the final last soon and update all of you.

 

 

 

 

post #8234 of 11779

Is it just an optical illusion or is the last length wise a stubby from the toes and the angle on the chisel rather steep?

post #8235 of 11779
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorsquad View Post

Gentleman, the plum museum MTO is scheduled to be sent out at the end of this month. Will send some pics of it soon. 

Also, here are some pics of the prototype last compared to the Ben last; the toebox will be widened a bit more. I will have a look at the final last soon and update all of you.












Pretty "U-last"-ish
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes