or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 538

post #8056 of 10195
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post


Price ex VAT would be just under $450 and shipping to Canada is €30 iirc. They ship FedEx so duty, tax and fees is probably about another grand biggrin.gif


Thanks.And damn FedEx...

post #8057 of 10195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris2012 View Post
 

 

Think p.henrick is looking after it all but as a running total so far it would be

 

1. P.Henrick

2. Osiris

3. IanGP

 

3 more to avoid the MTO charge.

How the hell did we lose out on burgundy shell? I was in for that :(

post #8058 of 10195
Are your insoles like these as well?
Edited by Lexyyy - 10/10/13 at 9:58pm
post #8059 of 10195
Yes.. My classic line Monks have the same insoles
post #8060 of 10195
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfridman View Post

Earlier this summer I've ordered 2 pairs of Meermin shoes:

The double monks in dark brown calf (http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2338) and tassel loafers in dark brown calf (http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1938).

Before placing an order, I've contacted the sales consultant (via their website) on the sizing of the shoes. I usually wear 9.5 UK in G or F fit. The Meermin person advised me to place order in the same exact size, 9.5.

I have to say that once I've received the shoes, I was quite disappointed by the sizing - they fit very, I mean VERY, snug. I would say they that are a full 0.5 size smaller than my C&Js, Loakes and Barker shoes (they are all 9.5). I took the shoes to the cobbler to stretch them out a bit (they were extremely uncomfortable to walk in, even painful), and after a few fittings, they are now at least bearable to walk around in.

Other than that - the build quality, the leather and everything, I am very pleased with my Meermins.

Just wanted to share my experience with Meermin and warn potential buyers - it may be reasonable to order a 0.5 size up from your usual size. Maybe even measure the length of soles on your current shoes, and compare them to the lengths of Meermin lasts. 

I wish I had this infor 30 dyas ago as I have placed an order for exactly the same shoes plus brown oxfords and MTO single monks in exactly the same size. I am also a 9.5 UK F or G, at least all my Herrings are that size.

I also contacted the sales person who gave the same advice.

I hope they fit me well otherwise I am going to be annoyed after dropping £1k on shoes.
post #8061 of 10195
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatitalian View Post

I wish I had this infor 30 dyas ago as I have placed an order for exactly the same shoes plus brown oxfords and MTO single monks in exactly the same size. I am also a 9.5 UK F or G, at least all my Herrings are that size.

I also contacted the sales person who gave the same advice.

I hope they fit me well otherwise I am going to be annoyed after dropping £1k on shoes.

I understand that you would be annoued if they don't fit, but you should never buy three pairs at once from a maker you've never tried on irl. Even if you send measurements and get advice from the seller, it's just a too big gamble since fit is so hard to pin point without actually trying shoes on.
post #8062 of 10195
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post


Price ex VAT would be just under $450 and shipping to Canada is €30 iirc. They ship FedEx so duty, tax and fees is probably about another grand biggrin.gif

Anybody know how much these boots would be shipped to the US, including taxes, custom fees, and anything else?  Waiting on delivery on #8 Cordovan Perf-Toe Alden blucher boots in the Barrie last (from J. Crew) but damn these look even better (and sleeker).  I think the Aldens are ~$420 with all discounts applied.  Never worn Meermin before so I have no idea of my sizing on the Hiro but I'm really tempted by this MTO. If y'all were in my place which would you go for (I don't own any Alden or shell cordovan at the moment)? Obviously the 3 of you already in on the MTO would like a few more :) but I'd love some honest opinions.

post #8063 of 10195
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson View Post


I understand that you would be annoued if they don't fit, but you should never buy three pairs at once from a maker you've never tried on irl. Even if you send measurements and get advice from the seller, it's just a too big gamble since fit is so hard to pin point without actually trying shoes on.

 

I don't fully agree with this statement.

 

Whilst I understand and agree with your point about ordering over the internet without physically trying items on I do not agree with your comments about sending measurements .

 

I undertsand if the shoes are a little snug or loose here and there but ultimately the shoes should still fit. If someone isn't willing to appreciate that they may not be a perfect fit well, quite frankly, they are naive but I would expect Meermin the know the dimensions of their lasts and advise accordingly.

 

In fact another shoe manufacturer (I won't name drop) advised me to get a 9.5 with a slightly wider fitting instead of a size 10 that I have taken all my life based on his knowledge of the last I was interested in and the dimensions of my foot I gave him. It is by far the best fitting shoe I own and all this over the internet without trying them on.

 

It may be difficult but it isn't impossible. Feel free to let me know if I am being too demanding or indeed naive, no offence will be taken!


Edited by thatitalian - 10/11/13 at 11:39am
post #8064 of 10195
I gave Meermin lasts that they can easily read up on to help with sizing e.g. Loake Kempton chukka, Allen Edmonds Leeds model. I actually linked the last info directly as a URL in my email correspondence. I don't think it can be that far off then when I receive my shoes Monday for fitting devil.gif
post #8065 of 10195

For what it's worth, I ignored the sizing recommendations from Meermin and am glad I did.  Meermin suggested I go 1/2 size smaller than I ordered and it is now clear to me that 1/2 size smaller would have been too small.  In making my decision, I asked for the sole and last measurements for the two sizes.

post #8066 of 10195
^Yes, ask for sole measurements also helps tons. This should be universal practice when shopping for shoes online IMO. Sole length and width though not accurate is a pretty good indicator as to whether your shoe will fit [aesthetically]. Because who wants clown feet, AMIRITE?? satisfied.gif
post #8067 of 10195
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatitalian View Post

 

 

It may be difficult but it isn't impossible. Feel free to let me know if I am being too demanding or indeed naive, no offence will be taken!

 

Unfortunately you probably have some merit to complain given meermin gave you advice, which they should probably stop doing as its too difficult to give someone an accurate recommendation over the net; how did they measure, whats their instep incline, what do they consider snug vs loose...etc.

post #8068 of 10195
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

^Yes, ask for sole measurements also helps tons. This should be universal practice when shopping for shoes online IMO. Sole length and width though not accurate is a pretty good indicator as to whether your shoe will fit [aesthetically]. Because who wants clown feet, AMIRITE?? satisfied.gif

Sole measurements could help ONLY comparing very similar shoes, 360° storm welted boots couldn't be obviusly compared to sleek shoes with 270° welt.
I wouldn't care too much about sole meaurements, most of the times they cause only mistake.
post #8069 of 10195
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

^Yes, ask for sole measurements also helps tons. This should be universal practice when shopping for shoes online IMO. Sole length and width though not accurate is a pretty good indicator as to whether your shoe will fit [aesthetically]. Because who wants clown feet, AMIRITE?? satisfied.gif

Sole measurements could help ONLY comparing very similar shoes, 360° storm welted boots couldn't be obviusly compared to sleek shoes with 270° welt.
I wouldn't care too much about sole meaurements, most of the times they cause only mistake.

yes, but the buyer knows tell that easily by looking at the photos of the product, it's just not possible to try on shoes before purchase.

but I do agree with not buying 3 at once if you never had a pair before.
post #8070 of 10195
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatitalian View Post

I don't fully agree with this statement.

Whilst I understand and agree with your point about ordering over the internet without physically trying items on I do not agree with your comments about sending measurements .

I undertsand if the shoes are a little snug or loose here and there but ultimately the shoes should still fit. If someone isn't willing to appreciate that they may not be a perfect fit well, quite frankly, they are naive but I would expect Meermin the know the dimensions of their lasts and advise accordingly.

In fact another shoe manufacturer (I won't name drop) advised me to get a 9.5 with a slightly wider fitting instead of a size 10 that I have taken all my life based on his knowledge of the last I was interested in and the dimensions of my foot I gave him. It is by far the best fitting shoe I own and all this over the internet without trying them on.

It may be difficult but it isn't impossible. Feel free to let me know if I am being too demanding or indeed naive, no offence will be taken!

I still stand by what I stated in my earlier post, you can't expect a good, or even decent, fit when ordering online even if you have supplied measurements of length and width. This is because that there are so many other thing to take into consideration, how wide and long the last is is just one thing. The height of the ball area, girth size (which is actually what the fitting of shoes is measuring, not the flat width), toe shape, heel shape, instep height, arch support and so on. All these things differ between lasts, and since people's feet look different even if the length and width are the same, it's not easy to judge by just that. It helps providing those measurements, and in many times it gets correct (like in your earlier example), but my point is that you can't expect it and you can't be annoyed if it doesn't work out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes