Hollering for interest in a brown grain calf 5 eyelet chukka on the Olfe. Calls for a rubber/double rubber sole. Below is a reference photo of a 5 eyelet. Also below a link to the Meermin brown grain calf.
Edited by konda - 10/9/13 at 8:50am
I got my first pair of Meermin shoes last week. I wanted to give you my unbiased review. I purchased the dark brown split toe blucher from the classic line. The price was 167.23 euro with shipping which is $226. I placed the order on Sept 05 and I received it on Oct 04. I have not yet gotten hit with customs. Hopefully, I won't.
1. The Box: Very nice but who cares. It's in the trash right now. The flannel shoe bags are very nice though.
2. The Smell: These shoes reek. It's hard to explain but it smells like mud and chemicals. It has stunk up my car and the smell persisted the next day. I'm hoping some shoe polish and a couple days in shoe trees will get rid of it. I can't wear them out until this smell is gone. This should be a small surmountable issue.
3. Sizing: Meermin says this is EE fitting. I am a solid 10.5 D in US sizing. I ordered the 9.5 UK. It has just the right amount of snugness for me. I could not go any narrower. The length is perfect. This probably means that I could fit in the Rui last.
4. Leather: Nice and thick. I think right on par with Allen Edmonds.
5. Stitching: Absolutely beautiful and flawless stitching on this split toe.
6. Finishing: The inside of the left shoe has some burnishing on it and some uneven finishing. The right shoe does not have this. The toes are burnished beautifully. It does not say this on the website, but I was pleasantly surprised.
7. Shape: I'm familiar with Allen Edmonds and Alden which are infamous for bulbous lasts. Even though the Rui is the least sleek of Meermin's lasts, I think it is very nice.
Overall, I like the shoe. The price is great. The only thing that annoys me is the uneven burnishing (see #6). I don't think I would be able to fit into any of there other lasts. If I was buying again, I would by an MTO with a wider width.