or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 406

post #6076 of 11790

While I believe that some of the QC complaints I've read lately have been somewhat overblown (or even non-existent), others are definitely cause for concern.  Especially when creating something special like an MTO, Meermin needs to ensure that the product that leaves their factory is top quality.  As a relatively new company it runs the risk of being seen as a low cost, and low quality, provider.  That would be a shame considering the quality of goods they usually create. 

 

I've ordered four pairs of shoes from them and all of them arrived in great condition and still receive compliments when I wear them.  However, I think that the run of MTOs that have been placed lately has overtaxed the company as when I inquired about getting a standard pair of shoes in a different color I was told that they were rather swamped at the moment.  Maybe this is leading to a lack of QC overall.  This is why, while I start to drool at the thought of getting in on one of the museum MTOs, I haven't taken the plunge.  I think I'll wait till the rush is over then see about either joining in on a group order or starting my own.

post #6077 of 11790
I had two MTO from Meermin; one last year and one this year. It is really a crap shoot for quality.

That said, some of the issues are definitely overblown. Say, misaligned toe medallion, which runs rampant for EG, or say leather clicking, which runs rampant at C&J. I know people do expect perfection but then for all RTW or even for bespoke, perfection is only a goal but not reality.
post #6078 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRubbery View Post

Belts would be 95 euro (inc VAT) each. But Pepe needs to double check with the Tannery that they can source enough leather. So if the belts went ahead, they would most likely ship separately from the shoes. However they wouldn't need the 12 week lead time, given the relative ease of making a belt compared to a pair of shoes. 

 

So for everyone interested in the belts, if they could post/PM me and I can give Pepe a rough idea of numbers. If you have already expressed interest in the belts, I've already noted it down, so no need to PM again. 

 

95 euro for a belt made from 15 euros worth of leather?

 

Thanks for investigating the belt option but I'm out.

post #6079 of 11790
On a positive note, I can report that my Museum MTO looks fabulous after a first heavy wear. I wore them yesterday 6am-6pm. Though slightly stiff at the inset, they fit me really beautifully and by lunchtime, they had softened to be one of the most comfortable shoes I have experienced on their virgin voyage. At the end of the day, I can report less creasing than I would have expected and only where it is expected. Wear to the sole is nigh ideal. This means that for my feet the Olfe is a great last. I would prefer a chiseled alternative with similar fit, but maybe that is on its way ....
post #6080 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

I had two MTO from Meermin; one last year and one this year. It is really a crap shoot for quality.

That said, some of the issues are definitely overblown. Say, misaligned toe medallion, which runs rampant for EG, or say leather clicking, which runs rampant at C&J. I know people do expect perfection but then for all RTW or even for bespoke, perfection is only a goal but not reality.

I don't think misaligned toe medallions are an issue that's overblown, no one likes a pair of shoes that look cross eyed. I've also seen issues of Meermin not finishing the leather's raw edge on certain shoes, which even for florsheim  a made in India brand is not having that issue. 

 

Personally I think Meermin should take off some options from their MTO program and get the basics down perfectly first. 

 

That being said, I'm out for the plum MTO. I'd rather wait for more constantly good shoes to come out of their shop.

post #6081 of 11790

Just received an update on the status: my shoes are currently being delivered, so should be here soon. Fingers crossed the sizing is right!
 

post #6082 of 11790
I had a very smooth MTO transaction with Meermin.

March 5: I emailed Pepe my order.
March 10: Pepe confirmed, and I paid the 50% deposit.
May 17: Meermin sent a request for the other 50% and said the shoes were finished. I paid.
May 20: Received shipping confirmation.
May 23: Received shoes.

I was quoted 12-14 weeks. They arrived in just under 12 weeks. I see no blemishes. Pepe answered my one basic question in his reply to me. I received my shoes in less than a week from completing my payment. Shipping was incredibly quick. I think I owed UPS about $63. They had the lining color wrong, but that is inconsequential to me.
post #6083 of 11790

Congratulations!  Pics?  Hope they bring you many years of pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbromer View Post

They had the lining color wrong, but that is inconsequential to me.

But this sort of thing drives me as crazy as the imperfections in closing and lasting: for goodness' sake WHY?!  It's made to order, you picked a colour, they put in another one...that's just not justified at all!  Sure, it's inside, it's inherently less important, and to you it's no biggie.  But to someone else, who'd obsessed wtih having all his shoes lined in orange, it's a disaster.  Of course these things happen...oh..we ran out of fuchsia lining, it will take three months to get more and we need to get this order out (!).  If that's it, fine.  Or did they just get it wrong?

 

BUT they should tell you.  "Hey, ZB, we're terribly sorry but we're out of fuchsia lining - stocking error [that should never happen]and it will take us a while to get more.  Would you like us to finish your shoes in pink or purple or any other of our in-stock colours instead, or shall we wait for the fuchsia?  By the way, the trees are free as a gesture of apology." 

 

Or something,you'd think.  It doesn't matter to you, that's good.  It should have mattered to them, though.

post #6084 of 11790

Hey guys, I've learned a lot reading through this thread.  Based on what others have been saying here, it sounds like YMMV is the Meermin motto uhoh.gif.

 

I am curious what I should expect from the RTW ordering process?  On Sunday night, I picked my size and style from the LM line on the website (102461 navy punch toe, olfe last, size 8.5), added to basket, checked out, and then....never paid anything and was simply told I would be contacted within 30 days with an invoice?  This was Sunday night. Monday I received an automated email saying my order status had changed to "Order received" and then another one to "order initiated."  It's now Thursday and I have not received any further communication, nor paid any money to the company, nor received any invoice/bill.  Is this normal?  If not, at what point should I f/u with the company?  Tempted to just cancel in light of all the recent QC incidents listed here. But...these shoes look beautiful and I would like to give them an honest try before bailing.  

 

Any insights would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

 

MRM

post #6085 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMstl View Post

Hey guys, I've learned a lot reading through this thread.  Based on what others have been saying here, it sounds like YMMV is the Meermin motto uhoh.gif .

I am curious what I should expect from the RTW ordering process?  On Sunday night, I picked my size and style from the LM line on the website (102461 navy punch toe, olfe last, size 8.5), added to basket, checked out, and then....never paid anything and was simply told I would be contacted within 30 days with an invoice?  This was Sunday night. Monday I received an automated email saying my order status had changed to "Order received" and then another one to "order initiated."  It's now Thursday and I have not received any further communication, nor paid any money to the company, nor received any invoice/bill.  Is this normal?  If not, at what point should I f/u with the company?  Tempted to just cancel in light of all the recent QC incidents listed here. But...these shoes look beautiful and I would like to give them an honest try before bailing.  

Any insights would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

MRM
They'll invoice you when your shoes are ready to be shipped.
post #6086 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Congratulations!  Pics?  Hope they bring you many years of pleasure!
But this sort of thing drives me as crazy as the imperfections in closing and lasting: for goodness' sake WHY?!  It's made to order, you picked a colour, they put in another one...that's just not justified at all!  Sure, it's inside, it's inherently less important, and to you it's no biggie.  But to someone else, who'd obsessed wtih having all his shoes lined in orange, it's a disaster.  Of course these things happen...oh..we ran out of fuchsia lining, it will take three months to get more and we need to get this order out (!).  If that's it, fine.  Or did they just get it wrong?

BUT they should tell you.  "Hey, ZB, we're terribly sorry but we're out of fuchsia lining - stocking error [that should never happen]and it will take us a while to get more.  Would you like us to finish your shoes in pink or purple or any other of our in-stock colours instead, or shall we wait for the fuchsia?  By the way, the trees are free as a gesture of apology." 

Or something,you'd think.  It doesn't matter to you, that's good.  It should have mattered to them, though.

Will has written about this topic multiple times over the year. All makers of custom goods have these issues.
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2010/10/bespoke-takes-effort.html?m=1
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2013/04/bespoke-goes-this-way-sometimes.html?m=1

It's just not uncommon. This isnt a good thing, but it's part of the custom process for shoes, for clothes, for furniture, for homes. I've had tailors make things incorrectly. When it matters, I say something and, generally, they make things right. If it's inconsequential to me, I let it pass. C'est la vie.
post #6087 of 11790
There's always this gap in expectations for people who demand perfection or get used to the easy exchange/return process of B&M retail experience.

Not saying Meermin is doing a great job but they didn't have the brand name or resources to bridge that gap.

EG is also notorious for their MTO and Vass did sometimes send out wrong spec shoes.
post #6088 of 11790

Just got my first Meermins: Blue Suede Derbies from the classic range and Black Cordovan Cap-toe Oxfords (semi-mto) from the LM range

By way of some context, on 13 Mar I placed an order for a MTO cap toe cordovan boot. On 19 Mar I added the Cordovan Cap-toes after Pepe advised it would be no problem to modify their normal shell cap-toe to remove the broguing without incurring the normal MTO up-charge.

I made the second 50% payment on 15 May and they Shipped 16 May, arriving in the UK on 23 May (I added the suede derbies on 15 May when pepe advised they were in stock). This puts it about 9 weeks to partially fulfil my order, and pepe's advice was they were on track for mid/late june delivery of the boot (which would be 13 weeks). The boots were ready to be lasted when these shipped



Boot pre-lasting Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

All in all, I'm very happy with both shoes so far! The cordovan looks great up close, I would say it's very similar in finish to what Carmina delivers (although I know this is not Horween cordovan unlike Carmina). There's not very much wax from what I can tell and it looks fairly well nourished.

You can definitely tell the difference in finishing details between classic vs LM. Although there are no defects, the derbies did need a clean and a brush. One peculiar thing about the Suede is that the nap is in opposite directions on L vs R shoe, while this makes no aesthetic difference to my eye - if I was paying a lot more (e.g EG) I'd be trying to exchange them.

All that remains now is to break them in! (and eagerly await the arrival of my boots!)
 

 

 

Black Oxford Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

This is the closest thing I could find to a blemish on the shoes - the welt join (I understand this is near on inevitable and I'm by no means complaining - just commenting this is the worst I could find, the other welt join is close enough to invisible)
Also a good close up of the shell.

 

 

 

 

Suede Derby Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

The photos make the blue look a little bluer than they a appear to my eye - I'd say they look a fraction 'greyer' but still an exceptionally attractive colour to my mind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top down Comparison Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

post #6089 of 11790
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombus View Post

Just got my first Meermins: Blue Suede Derbies from the classic range and Black Cordovan Cap-toe Oxfords (semi-mto) from the LM range


By way of some context, on 13 Mar I placed an order for a MTO cap toe cordovan boot. On 19 Mar I added the Cordovan Cap-toes after Pepe advised it would be no problem to modify their normal shell cap-toe to remove the broguing without incurring the normal MTO up-charge.


I made the second 50% payment on 15 May and they Shipped 16 May, arriving in the UK on 23 May (I added the suede derbies on 15 May when pepe advised they were in stock). This puts it about 9 weeks to partially fulfil my order, and pepe's advice was they were on track for mid/late june delivery of the boot (which would be 13 weeks). The boots were ready to be lasted when these shipped


All in all, I'm very happy with both shoes so far! The cordovan looks great up close, I would say it's very similar in finish to what Carmina delivers (although I know this is not Horween cordovan unlike Carmina). There's not very much wax from what I can tell and it looks fairly well nourished.


You can definitely tell the difference in finishing details between classic vs LM. Although there are no defects, the derbies did need a clean and a brush. One peculiar thing about the Suede is that the nap is in opposite directions on L vs R shoe, while this makes no aesthetic difference to my eye - if I was paying a lot more (e.g EG) I'd be trying to exchange them.


All that remains now is to break them in! (and eagerly await the arrival of my boots!)

 

The black cordovan cap toe oxford looks nice! May I know is it modified from model# 101482 which is in Hiro last?
post #6090 of 11790
Cant wait to see how your boots turn out!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes