or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 38

post #556 of 11419
bah, pepe's @meermin.es email address isnt working either
post #557 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

I have both the Meermin LM and several pairs of EGs. The Meermin's are nice for the price, but not even in the same zip code as the EGs in terms of quality and style,

this is a hard judgement, if i may say.
post #558 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

bah, pepe's @meermin.es email address isnt working either

 

Site seems to be back up, not sure about e-mail. Was in the middle of an order discussion and was wondering why the replies had slowed down.

post #559 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne View Post

Yes, 9D on the Plaza. Not a particularly wide foot, but relatively low arch as well as instep. If in doubt, measure your feet and compare against the actual last measurements and recommended foot length I posted for UK8 and UK8.5 in the Hiro last. That's what I did and it turned out well.

Interesting, according to your recommended foot sizes and the last sizing - I may be an 8.5UK; strange considering I"m a comfortable 9D on the Plaza (balmoral though, if that makes a difference).
post #560 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post


this is a hard judgement, if i may say.

 

Just an honest one really. I think Meermin shoes are great for the price, and if people are interested they certainly shouldn't hesitate based on quality concerns. That being said, EGs really are in a different league altogether - the construction is tigher all across, the finishing is smoother and the styles / lasts  are far more sophisticated. And that should come as no surprise, as EG is 3x the price.

post #561 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

I have both the Meermin LM and several pairs of EGs. The Meermin's are nice for the price, but not even in the same zip code as the EGs in terms of quality and style,

This is true. EG has a wider range and finer lasts, but they are still machine-made. I always use handwork and its execution as highest signs of quality. We have different markers, ET.
post #562 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

This is true. EG has a wider range and finer lasts, but they are still machine-made. I always use handwork and its execution as highest signs of quality. We have different markers, ET.

handwork is not necessarily a sign of quality. I've seen LM meermins. Yes, they are well finished. Are they up to G&G and EG levels of finishing? Hell no.

Look, they build probably the best value $300 shoe out there right now. But to say its superior quality to EG is simply inaccurate.
post #563 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Just an honest one really. I think Meermin shoes are great for the price, and if people are interested they certainly shouldn't hesitate based on quality concerns. That being said, EGs really are in a different league altogether - the construction is tigher all across, the finishing is smoother
and the styles / lasts  are far more sophisticated. And that should come as no surprise, as EG is 3x the price.

well, the few EG's i have handled in person have been the blandest shoes i've ever seen. i'm not planning on getting meermin's either.

i was just curious.
post #564 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post


This is true. EG has a wider range and finer lasts, but they are still machine-made. I always use handwork and its execution as highest signs of quality. We have different markers, ET.

 

On the Q of handwork, EGs are hand-lasted and goodyear-welted as well. Besides, as Quadcammer accurately put it, handwork is no guarantor of quality.

post #565 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

On the Q of handwork, EGs are hand-lasted and goodyear-welted as well. Besides, as Quadcammer accurately put it, handwork is no guarantor of quality.
By hand lasted you mean that the lasting machine is hand actuated? Goodyear welted proerly means welted with a Goodyear machine, Meermin linea maestro are supposed to be hand welted.
This said, I agree that handwork doesn't always mean quality.
post #566 of 11419

Nope, the EGs I saw in-progress during my visit were actually lasted by hand (similar to the procedure highlighted in the Vass shoemaking book). Goodyear welting is obviously machine-welting as Goodyear is the name of the machine itself (I was unaware that the Meermin are hand-welted).

 

Regardless, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, none of this is an accurate indicator of quality. I like Meermin and recommend them, just don't buy them in the hope of getting an EG quality / style shoe.

post #567 of 11419
Totally unsure on what you guys mean by "finishing".
Is this the shine that people put on the shoes?

If construction is not an accurate indication of quality, what is?
post #568 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

Totally unsure on what you guys mean by "finishing".
Is this the shine that people put on the shoes?
If construction is not an accurate indication of quality, what is?

finishing to me means the the quality of the finish on the leather, as well as the stitching, welting, little things like the grooves on the welt (can't remember the name just now), etc.

Goodyear welting is very prevalent in these shoes...but I would prefer a well done machine GY welt to a sloppy or inexpertly done hand welt.

So yes, goodyear welting gets you in the door and hand lasting/welting is typically a step above. But its how well you employ each form of construction that is the ultimate determining factor to me.
post #569 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

finishing to me means the the quality of the finish on the leather, as well as the stitching, welting, little things like the grooves on the welt (can't remember the name just now), etc.
Goodyear welting is very prevalent in these shoes...but I would prefer a well done machine GY welt to a sloppy or inexpertly done hand welt.
So yes, goodyear welting gets you in the door and hand lasting/welting is typically a step above. But its how well you employ each form of construction that is the ultimate determining factor to me.


Understood. I think we just have different definitions and priorities.
post #570 of 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

well, the few EG's i have handled in person have been the blandest shoes i've ever seen. i'm not planning on getting meermin's either.
i was just curious.

Thank you.

The few EG's I handled, although well finished, were not just bland but downright unsexy, very oldmanish. This is OK if it fits with your entire conservative outfit, but certainly not eye catching or wow!

Let's face it EG's look, well, more robust!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes