or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 289

post #4321 of 11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcox68 View Post

 

Yes, we all have favorite brands and become enamoured with them.  I certainly don't disagree that I'm very much into Meermin's shoes at this time.  However, the opposite also holds true and there will always be someone out there looking to trash another brand in a misguided effort to push their own favorite.  It all evens out.  Perhaps we should just agree that Meemin, whether each of us likes the company or not, needs to get a handle on both delivery times and quality control and one way to do that is through an influx of cash which could be borrowed from the banks (not sure how generous Spanish banks are at the moment) or by raising prices.

 

I'm sorry, I didn't want to come across as "trashing" Meermin - not at all.  I like what they do, I like that they also do MTO, and I just like that they exist.  We can debate and discuss the relative merits of different brands but it doesn't matter - at the moment, you and I both still want to buy Meermin shoes.

 

I'm just saying that they have competition, especially at their LM price point, and as choices get wider, the customer experience can cost.  They need to stop for breath, even if that means freezing new orders for a couple of weeks, and get a simple off-the-shelf e-retail and stock control system - just like some of their equally small competitors have done.  That would make their lives easier, as well as minimising the risk that their customers will cheat on them with a pretty fiddleback Frenchie (other nationalities are available).

post #4322 of 11528

At the Linea Maestro price point there aren't really that many brands offering hand welting, i.e. no gemming. If the quality control was more consistent, I'd take a pair of LM's over a pair of Carminas any day.

post #4323 of 11528
Customer satisfaction is a fairy tale for most Spanish companies.
post #4324 of 11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post

At the Linea Maestro price point there aren't really that many brands offering hand welting, i.e. no gemming. If the quality control was more consistent, I'd take a pair of LM's over a pair of Carminas any day.

 

Including Linea Maestro: if they are "goodyear welted" as described, then that's a mechanical process, and involves gemming.  "Hand welted goodyear" is a contradiction in terms, that I can only take to mean "using your hands to operate the goodyear machine!".  I suspect that the Linea maestro are welted in house, rather than in China like the regular line.  The only actual hand stitching their site shows in its video collection is for Norvegese.  Which is presumably why it is another 100 Euros.  I think if they actually hand-stitched the welts and/or soles, they'd make more of a selling point out of it considering what else they show on the site.

 

Again, I'm not having a dig at Meermin here.  Goodyear welting on a machine is still a skillful process and John Lobb, Edward Green and G&G do exactly the same - and gemming too.  But phrases like "hand made", "hand welted", "hand grade" and the like are deliberately vague.  There are very few (usually bespoke) makers who actually sew the welt and sole on by hand, and I'm pretty sure Meermin isn't one of them.  I think the real difference is quality control, like you've said: the more they do in their own factory instead of China, the more consistent they can be. Along with different leather grades, I'm sure that is what you pay the extra for - not just the painted soles.nest.gif

post #4325 of 11528

A dissected LM (GY-2 construction) shows a carved feather and no gemming, as oppossed to GY-1:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/277707/meermin-carmina-2nd-brand/1000_40#post_5563359

 

I guess they use the term "goodyear" because it sells shoes by itself, but LM are NOT goodyear welted. They are hand welted.

post #4326 of 11528

Here's to hoping my shoes ship as said......................

post #4327 of 11528
Good news for the group MTO; Pepe just informed me that the museum calf has just arrived from Ilcea.He will send me some pics soon that I will share with all of you smile.gif
post #4328 of 11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorsquad View Post

Good news for the group MTO; Pepe just informed me that the museum calf has just arrived from Ilcea.He will send me some pics soon that I will share with all of you smile.gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gifWOO HOO!!! bounce2.gif

post #4329 of 11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post

A dissected LM (GY-2 construction) shows a carved feather and no gemming, as oppossed to GY-1:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/277707/meermin-carmina-2nd-brand/1000_40#post_5563359

 

I guess they use the term "goodyear" because it sells shoes by itself, but LM are NOT goodyear welted. They are hand welted.

 

Then that makes them and Vass pretty much the only regular favourites on here that are then. Thanks for straightening that out, and I'm impressed!

post #4330 of 11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Including Linea Maestro: if they are "goodyear welted" as described, then that's a mechanical process, and involves gemming.  "Hand welted goodyear" is a contradiction in terms, that I can only take to mean "using your hands to operate the goodyear machine!".  I suspect that the Linea maestro are welted in house, rather than in China like the regular line.  The only actual hand stitching their site shows in its video collection is for Norvegese.  Which is presumably why it is another 100 Euros.  I think if they actually hand-stitched the welts and/or soles, they'd make more of a selling point out of it considering what else they show on the site.

Again, I'm not having a dig at Meermin here.  Goodyear welting on a machine is still a skillful process and John Lobb, Edward Green and G&G do exactly the same - and gemming too.  But phrases like "hand made", "hand welted", "hand grade" and the like are deliberately vague.  There are very few (usually bespoke) makers who actually sew the welt and sole on by hand, and I'm pretty sure Meermin isn't one of them.  I think the real difference is quality control, like you've said: the more they do in their own factory instead of China, the more consistent they can be. Along with different leather grades, I'm sure that is what you pay the extra for - not just the painted soles.nest.gif

Just to set things straight: Linea Maestro are indeed hand welted, exactly like for example a few other RTW-makers like Vass or Paolo Scafora, and pretty much all bespoke makers. That to me is the major thing with Meermin. But the hand welting takes place in China, hence the very low price for hand welted shoes. Just the "finishing" of the shoes that's made in Spain, this includes bot Classic, LM and MTO shoes. Why they call it Hand welted Goodyear is probably cause most people take the Goodyear name as a quality stamp, not realising that hand welting is actually better when you don't have to deal with gemming.

But I have to say that I completely agree that Meermin have to take care of their issues with long delivery times, unanswered e-mails and quality control issues ASAP. It could be a big problem if customers give up and don't stand the trouble and effort a Meermin order is currently often associated with.

Edit: Missed that Rdiaz har already answered about the hand welting.
post #4331 of 11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorsquad View Post

Good news for the group MTO; Pepe just informed me that the museum calf has just arrived from Ilcea.He will send me some pics soon that I will share with all of you smile.gif

yeah baby!!!! :D

post #4332 of 11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcox68 View Post

Carmina is nearly double the cost for a slightly better product, and Septieme Largeur (while a very nice shoe) doesn't compare with Meermin when using like measures as SL's line is closer to the Classic Collection which lists at €85 less. 

Nearly double the cost you say?

LM is 260eu, this is 325

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3640213

Further, what are you basing your opinion of SL on? I've seen a few of their products and they are quite nice. The finishing is as nice or nicer than LM and the fiddleback waists are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post

At the Linea Maestro price point there aren't really that many brands offering hand welting, i.e. no gemming. If the quality control was more consistent, I'd take a pair of LM's over a pair of Carminas any day.

this obsession with gemming failure is totally ridiculous in my mind. I have not seen any evidence that goodyear welted shoes are in danger of imminent failure due to being gemmed. Is handwelting better? Sure. Is it almost entirely academic? Yes.
post #4333 of 11528

Nope, they are not in danger of imminent failure - but more than anything clothing-related, I see shoes as an investment. So I do worry about getting the most reliable long-term durability for my money, and if hand welting is any less prone to failure, or allows for more resolings, I'll go for it.

post #4334 of 11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcox68 View Post

Are you working with anyone specifically?  If not, I'd suggest emailing them to see what's up.  I absolutely agree that the time it takes to actually get shoes from them is too long but I think its part of the trade-off to get shoes of this quality at such a low price.  On the other hand, warranty replacements need to cut to the front of the line over new orders.

(...)

Yes, I'm working with Sandro. I am sure that they are really trying hard, but the current waiting times (responses, production, delivery) are just not acceptable. It is now 2 months that I have not been able to wear my shoes.

 

Regarding the quality, they definitely have a good value for the money. However, you have at least a few good alternatives at about the same price and quality range here in Germany that also have shown up in recent years. I'm afraid the current situation may keep a lot of customers from ordering Meermin shoes.

post #4335 of 11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoshoes View Post

Yes, I'm working with Sandro. I am sure that they are really trying hard, but the current waiting times (responses, production, delivery) are just not acceptable. It is now 2 months that I have not been able to wear my shoes.

 

Regarding the quality, they definitely have a good value for the money. However, you have at least a few good alternatives at about the same price and quality range here in Germany that also have shown up in recent years. I'm afraid the current situation may keep a lot of customers from ordering Meermin shoes.

Sent you a PM.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes