or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 288

post #4306 of 10257
Could somebody post the contents of the MTO pdf that was referenced earlier in the thread please? Apologies if my searching skills aren't up to snuff, but I can't find it.

Also, is it correct to assume that changing the last of an existing model is subject to the MTO charge?

Thanks.
post #4307 of 10257
MTO_Aug2012.pdf 256k .pdf file

 

 

 

 

 

Changing lasts, or basically anything that would be considered MTO, is an extra 100 Euros.  If you want a wide fitting or any kind of adjustment, that goes up to 150.

 

So basically MTO starts at 360 Euros inc. VAT, or just under 300 without, not including trees or shipping, for regular calf in standard (bench made) goodyear welt.  If you want a non-standard fit, trees, and shipping, you're starting at about $500 without VAT.

post #4308 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

MTO_Aug2012.pdf 256k .pdf file





Changing lasts, or basically anything that would be considered MTO, is an extra 100 Euros.  If you want a wide fitting or any kind of adjustment, that goes up to 150.

So basically MTO starts at 360 Euros inc. VAT, or just under 300 without, not including trees or shipping, for regular calf in standard (bench made) goodyear welt.  If you want a non-standard fit, trees, and shipping, you're starting at about $500 without VAT.

Thank you!

It's a shame that none of the plain black cap toes come in the Olfe last. How accurate have people been finding the sizing charts on the site? Perhaps I could fit in a New Rey and spare myself the MTO wait.
post #4309 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJ View Post


Thank you!

It's a shame that none of the plain black cap toes come in the Olfe last. How accurate have people been finding the sizing charts on the site? Perhaps I could fit in a New Rey and spare myself the MTO wait.

 

Your profile says you have a EEE width fitting.  That's an H in English, and I'm not sure what in Euro-speak.  The New Rey looks very narrow indeed, and considering that Pepe told me none of their regular lasts would fit my (E) feet well at all, I think it's MTO and then some, or nothing!

post #4310 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Your profile says you have a EEE width fitting.  That's an H in English, and I'm not sure what in Euro-speak.  The New Rey looks very narrow indeed, and considering that Pepe told me none of their regular lasts would fit my (E) feet well at all, I think it's MTO and then some, or nothing!

My feet measure 104mm across (which jives with the New Rey sizing chart), so I was off by a bit LOL.

That said, my most comfortable shoes are 10E Tramezzas. One of my other pairs are B width, but in that case I sized up to a 10.5. I'll go with Pepe's recommendation ultimately, but I reckon that I'm not any wider than average.
post #4311 of 10257
In my view don't under any circumstances go tts in New Rey if you have wide feet. I have borderline narrow and tts had some serious breaking in to do. Size up or go with a different last
post #4312 of 10257

+1

 

But I'd always avoid sizing up to fit into a narrower last, if possible: if you do that, it might look elegant somehow to have a long, thin shoe, but it's likely that the "break" in the toe will be in the wrong place and be uncomfortable.  It also looks odd.

 

If 10E US is comfortable (I'm the same size in Allen Edmonds, don't have any SF Tramezza), then get a more comfortable last in the right size: I can see where you're coming from in wanting a Linea Maestro shoe without paying the MTO charge. But as the difference is about $100 with the VAT removed to get a last that is more likely to be comfortable - and the colour choices too - then it seems like a false economy to go with the generic New Rey in a bigger size that might end up an instrument of torture.

post #4313 of 10257

ARe there sometimes sales on Meermin shoes? What would be the ideal time of the year to buy them? Thx!

post #4314 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi1382 View Post

ARe there sometimes sales on Meermin shoes? What would be the ideal time of the year to buy them? Thx!

At these prices and their current troubles keeping up with production, I'd be very surprised to see any sales events.  Why attempt to sell more product at a lower price when you can't get out the orders you have at full retail?

 

Based on the quality of materials, great designs and their customer service, I'd consider every day a sale as I wouldn't doubt they raise prices very soon.

post #4315 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

+1

But I'd always avoid sizing up to fit into a narrower last, if possible: if you do that, it might look elegant somehow to have a long, thin shoe, but it's likely that the "break" in the toe will be in the wrong place and be uncomfortable.  It also looks odd.

If 10E US is comfortable (I'm the same size in Allen Edmonds, don't have any SF Tramezza), then get a more comfortable last in the right size: I can see where you're coming from in wanting a Linea Maestro shoe without paying the MTO charge. But as the difference is about $100 with the VAT removed to get a last that is more likely to be comfortable - and the colour choices too - then it seems like a false economy to go with the generic New Rey in a bigger size that might end up an instrument of torture.

Great advice
post #4316 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi1382 View Post

ARe there sometimes sales on Meermin shoes? What would be the ideal time of the year to buy them? Thx!

The best time to buy? I would advise you to order immediately if you plan to wear them this year...

post #4317 of 10257
No sales, at least at Madrid shop.
post #4318 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoshoes View Post

The best time to buy? I would advise you to order immediately if you plan to wear them this year...

yeah tell me about it, been waiting my ones from 3rd january!!!!

 

anyhow doesnt' get any better than meermin price\quality wise so take those 160 euro and invest in great shoes :) 

post #4319 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by totolino85 View Post

yeah tell me about it, been waiting my ones from 3rd january!!!!

 

anyhow doesnt' get any better than meermin price\quality wise so take those 160 euro and invest in great shoes :) 


Meermin was aware that I would (have to) return my shoes on December 19. The exchange pair still hasn't been shipped...

post #4320 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoshoes View Post


Meermin was aware that I would (have to) return my shoes on December 19. The exchange pair still hasn't been shipped...

Are you working with anyone specifically?  If not, I'd suggest emailing them to see what's up.  I absolutely agree that the time it takes to actually get shoes from them is too long but I think its part of the trade-off to get shoes of this quality at such a low price.  On the other hand, warranty replacements need to cut to the front of the line over new orders.

 

On a somewhat unrelated note, I don't know what Meermin's finances are like but I suspect that even with a large portion of the labor coming from China, the costs of materials, production facilities, shipping, finishing in Spain, etc... can't be allowing for a large profit point per shoe.  Even so, they don't bill until they're ready to ship which means they have to asorbe all the costs up front.  I just don't know if this is a sustainable business model.  Especially after receiving my first pair of shoes from them and seeing exactly what they're putting into these things, I believe they could easily up their prices by $75-100US and still have more orders than they could reasonably meet.  I guess the upshot of all this is that I'm willing to bet that Meermin either raises prices or closes shop within a year or two.  I hope they merely raise prices which might allow for expanded production facilities but we'll see.

 

And then there's the distinct possiblility that I'm wrong...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes