or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 251

post #3751 of 11094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

okie dokie folks, here are my lms. both received without any major issues.






pretty pleased. the few little marks on the walnut upper are no biggie, and the sole will wear and get rid of the black marks. The brown ones are pretty solid with no major issues.

 

Those look gorgeous. I've given up with trying to determine my size, but I think I definitely need to go to Madrid to try a few on.

post #3752 of 11094
your favorite, the new rey
post #3753 of 11094
^^hahaaa owwwwww!^^
post #3754 of 11094
Oops
post #3755 of 11094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Wooow. The brown one, AFD. That's a good looking shoe.

post #3756 of 11094
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

Thought I'd share the progression of my Meermin shell longwings for those considering:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Arrival: 

700

 

 

 

After five wears and an application of Renovateur after each wear: 

700

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After one application of the Saphir Cordovan Cream: 

700

 

 

 

 

 

I'm coming to the conclusion that the Mac Method and/or simply applying Renovateur just does not cut it for the Meermin shell and that the Saphir cordovan cream may be necessary.  Anyone else have experience with Meermin shell to share?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

Yes, first pair of shell, but additional buffing was not helping and, in fact, made it worse.  I'm not sure what Meermin does to finish the shoes, but the more I buffed with a horsehair brush and a cloth, the more color that ended up on the cloth and the worse the shoe's finish looked.  While the second picture does not fully show it, I finally gave up on Renovateur because the finish of the shoe was startnig to lighten in patches and taking on a cloudy appearance that looked awful compared to how they looked out of the box.

 

Now, after using the Saphir cordovan cream, it has filled in all the unfinished places on the shell and additional buffing is making the shoe look better, not worse.  You're probably right on the last picture, though, that there is considerably more buffing still to be done to get a better result.

 

Sounds try and not finished.  Maybe you need to coat it with polish.  Just maybe.  Seems like the cordovan that Meermin uses has a very different finish compare to Horween cordovan leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timotune View Post

quick question:
I have some Suede Meermins on the Hiro Last. At first they were a bit tight, but broke in nicely. No I am ordering a pair in "normal" leather (the group buy MTO). I heard, that "normal" leather will not stretch as much as the suede.
Is this true?

 

Unlined leather/suede stretches.  Lined leather/suede behave similarly in my experience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

thanks.
I actually went TTS on new rey. I'm about a 10.25 on AE and the american brands. 9uk on the 348 CJ, which are snug. I went with the 10uk at luisa's direction. They are comfortable but a touch loose first thing in the morning.

 

I am 9E UK on 337 C&J and 9E/EE UK on 7000/8000 JL, so my feet is about the same size as yours.  Pepe recommended me 9E UK for Ben last.  So it does need to be sized up for New Rey?

post #3757 of 11094
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post


Sounds try and not finished.  Maybe you need to coat it with polish.  Just maybe.  Seems like the cordovan that Meermin uses has a very different finish compare to Horween cordovan leather.

Unlined leather/suede stretches.  Lined leather/suede behave similarly in my experience.


I am 9E UK on 337 C&J and 9E/EE UK on 7000/8000 JL, so my feet is about the same size as yours.  Pepe recommended me 9E UK for Ben last.  So it does need to be sized up for New Rey?
I don't know how that C&J fits compared to the 325 but my 9uk C&J onslow fit me well with a little extra width room in the forefoot area. The 9 New Rey is great lengthwise but pretty tight in the toebox and over the instep. I would size up a half but would slightly worry about them being too long
post #3758 of 11094
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

Yes, first pair of shell, but additional buffing was not helping and, in fact, made it worse.  I'm not sure what Meermin does to finish the shoes, but the more I buffed with a horsehair brush and a cloth, the more color that ended up on the cloth and the worse the shoe's finish looked.  While the second picture does not fully show it, I finally gave up on Renovateur because the finish of the shoe was startnig to lighten in patches and taking on a cloudy appearance that looked awful compared to how they looked out of the box.

 

Now, after using the Saphir cordovan cream, it has filled in all the unfinished places on the shell and additional buffing is making the shoe look better, not worse.  You're probably right on the last picture, though, that there is considerably more buffing still to be done to get a better result.

This sounds very strange to me---much different than the Carmina-finished Horween shell I'm used to. It sounds like either a) the Reno was dissolving the finish and pulling it off too aggressively or b) for some reason it was blooming before your eyes, but rubbing it with a rag should have diminished that. Did you try just straight water and rubbing?

post #3759 of 11094
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post


I don't know how that C&J fits compared to the 325 but my 9uk C&J onslow fit me well with a little extra width room in the forefoot area. The 9 New Rey is great lengthwise but pretty tight in the toebox and over the instep. I would size up a half but would slightly worry about them being too long

 

Therefore I would hate to size up on any shoes whose last does not conform to my feet; personally I do not like the feeling of heel slip or out of place arch fit.  I don't need to be Cinderella's step sisters.

post #3760 of 11094
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

 

 

Sounds try and not finished.  Maybe you need to coat it with polish.  Just maybe.  Seems like the cordovan that Meermin uses has a very different finish compare to Horween cordovan leather.

 

 

It was very dry.  In fact, in an area where the left shoe folded/creased, the finish rubbed off completely.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymil View Post

This sounds very strange to me---much different than the Carmina-finished Horween shell I'm used to. It sounds like either a) the Reno was dissolving the finish and pulling it off too aggressively or b) for some reason it was blooming before your eyes, but rubbing it with a rag should have diminished that. Did you try just straight water and rubbing?

 

Meermin, unfortunately, does not use Horween for its shell supplier.  After a few coats of Renovateur, the white creases that walking created would go away with brushing.  Prior to the first coat of Renovateur, however, it was a disaster when I brushed the creases as the shoe's finish was literally coming off before my eyes.  As mentioned above, there is still a small fold/crease on one shoe where the finish came off completely.  While the applications of Renovateur took even more color off, they at least left the shoe looking less "dry" and prevented further instances of folds/creases causing the finish to come off.

 

I never tried water and rubbing because early on a few drops of water fell on the shoe and slightly discolored it.  That went away with an application of Renovateur, however.

 

Overall, I'm happy with the shoes, but my experience has definitely been very different from the usual shell care posts.

post #3761 of 11094
as mentioned earlier in the thread. I think the meermin sweet spot is LM's in Calf. The shell just doesn't seem to be on the level.
post #3762 of 11094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

as mentioned earlier in the thread. I think the meermin sweet spot is LM's in Calf. The shell just doesn't seem to be on the level.

 

Ahem . . . those were my words.   teacha.gif   And still believe it just as much today.

post #3763 of 11094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

as mentioned earlier in the thread. I think the meermin sweet spot is LM's in Calf. The shell just doesn't seem to be on the level.

 

+1

 

But I think the problem does not lie with Meermin but its cordovan supplier.  Horween seems to be the only viable option for shell cordovan...

post #3764 of 11094
I wouldn't use Renovateur repeatedly on any shoe. Especially one whose finish is coming up. Renovateur is designed to partially strip off existing finish. So mutliple coats on new shoes could be counterproductive.

Stick with the Saphir Cordovan Cream Polish. It will get better.

As for the Mac method - it works great for Alden's shell shoes. But I've found my Carminas and CJ in shell simply needed some moisturizing - and the Saphir Cordovan Cream really did the trick for me.
post #3765 of 11094
Damn €200 more for Carmina shell it is then. (Or just get 2 more pairs of LM!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes