Originally Posted by Karembeu
I bought another pair of shoes from Meermin before getting in on this most recent MTO group buy and Meermin's instructions upon checkout for me told me not to pay the PayPal invoice until the shoes are ready to ship. Here is the direct quote that was sent to me in my confirmation:
- At first, all orders are going to be shipped in 30 days, in special cases it will take longer, but we will contact you to inform.
- If there are any units availabile in your size, the order will be shipped before the 30 days.
- Shortly you'll receive an invoice, but you don't need to pay it until we have the pairs ready to ship.We will send you a remembering once the pair is ready to be shipped.
- Once we have sent the order, you'll receive the tracking number, provided by the courier.
- If you have any question related to your order(Sizing, or any other question) ,please contact us before proceeding the order, Contact Us here.
I think this only applies to their RTW collection and not MTO. All the MTO's group buys I have handled (Meermin,Vass etc) have requested 100% payment upfront before they even start work on the shoe.
Originally Posted by UnnamedPlayer
Quick question that is applicable for those who have ordered shoes in the past that were not going to be ready for 6,7,8,etc. weeks,
does Meermin issue an Invoice to PayPal and you don't pay anything until the shoes are actually ready to be shipped?
With the Styleforum MTO shoes, I am happy to pay the price and happy to wait the time, however I don;t want to actually pay anything until the 20 or so weeks have passed
and the shoes are ready for shipping.
Originally Posted by chogall
Pepe paypal invoiced me after the details are set, paid 100% up front, and then wait till he sends pictures for updates. And billed by FedEx at the time of delivery for import duty.
AFAIK, almost every MTO/bespoke, from shoes to suits, is either 50% up front or 100% up front.
Yup, this is how Meermin operates actually. I think Chogall's answer already explains this.
With regards to this particular MTO group buy, bear in mind that:
a) Meermin will be sourcing the leather specially for this MTO (which Ilcea will need 8 weeks to make); and
b) the number of people participating in the MTO group buy (45) with a long waiting list (20 in case people drop out).
All I know is that for other MTO group buys with other brands, the number of people is only between 6-15 people and they use the same leather they have been using for all their shoes. This is not the case for this MTO .
I also honestly don't think Meermin will take the risk of people pulling out when the shoes are ready as they not only have to pay Ilcea for the leather but also the fact that since this is a MTO, I dont think they will be able to sell the shoes to other people with someone else's initials imprinted in the shoe and on the sole of the shoe.
But this is just my opinion and I stand to be corrected on the facts