or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 226

post #3376 of 11793

If Meermin actually opened a U.S. store and got a handle on its quality control, I suspect there would be no debate on the relative merits of AE versus Meermin.  To me, the overseas shipping cost and the lack of quality control are two big strikes against Meermin when comparing them with AE.

post #3377 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

If Meermin actually opened a U.S. store and got a handle on its quality control, I suspect there would be no debate on the relative merits of AE versus Meermin.  To me, the overseas shipping cost and the lack of quality control are two big strikes against Meermin when comparing them with AE.

 

I think the QC issue is overblown. I've ordered four pairs of shoes from Meermin (from both lines) and had zero QC issues. If you do have QC problems, Meermin handles that issue no questions asked.

 

The big strike against AE, for guys like me, is the fact that I think they are fugly. The quality of AE is not steller, I've owned Del Rays, their Balmorals and PA's and had issues with a few.

 

Pound for pound Meermin is tough to beat!

post #3378 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

 

I think the QC issue is overblown. I've ordered four pairs of shoes from Meermin (from both lines) and had zero QC issues. If you do have QC problems, Meermin handles that issue no questions asked.

 

The big strike against AE, for guys like me, is the fact that I think they are fugly. The quality of AE is not steller, I've owned Del Rays, their Balmorals and PA's and had issues with a few.

 

Pound for pound Meermin is tough to beat!

 

The shell longwings I ordered from Meermin had finishing issues that were significant enough to warrant a return if I had purchased them from AE and had an easy avenue for returning, but minor enough to keep when considering the hassle of returning them, customs on the replacement pair and getting a dialogue going with Meermin on the issue.   I have seen many posts with similar sentiments.  I too like many of meermin's lasts better than AE, but the quality control and customer service is not on par with AE.  I am hopeful that it will be one day as Meermin builds and expands.

post #3379 of 11793

Please also help me to find the high quality Jacket for upcoming winter season. I am also looking for the scarves and qualitative Men/Women warm garments.

post #3380 of 11793

yes

post #3381 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhunter View Post

Half serious.   I know for a fact that in my grandfather days shoes were made to squeak on purpose; not so sure these days.

But considering the fact that a quality shoe, like those featured and approved here are made of at least 99% leather all welted and not glued... the squeak comes from leather rubbing on leather, somewhere in the sole area.

Not sure this is a manufacturing defect or not, probably not.

I have shoes that are SF approved and that squeak, and I cannot see that as a defect.

My opinion, and I'm not an expert in shoe making though.


Good to hear - The issue with your originla quote was 'should' rather than 'don't be surprised if they squeak'. My vintage Florsheims have never made a sound, or my Herrings (Loake), however a pair of Meermin have, along with some runners & sneakers.

post #3382 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhunter View Post

Half serious.   I know for a fact that in my grandfather days shoes were made to squeak on purpose; not so sure these days.
But considering the fact that a quality shoe, like those featured and approved here are made of at least 99% leather all welted and not glued... the squeak comes from leather rubbing on leather, somewhere in the sole area.
Not sure this is a manufacturing defect or not, probably not.
I have shoes that are SF approved and that squeak, and I cannot see that as a defect.
My opinion, and I'm not an expert in shoe making though.

Why would shoes be made to squeak? So that you couldn't sneak up on people? I really can't imagine any other reason.

My father grew up in London in the 1930s and 1940s, and I remember that he used to have a funny little saying about squeaking shoes that went something like, "If a man's shoes squeak, it means that he doesn't own them". Hence, whilst his statement was joking, I think that it indicates that squeaking shoes weren't thought of as a good thing.

Essentially, squeaking can be caused by one part of the shoe rubbing against another part of the shoe, such as the tongue rubbing against the inside of the shoe upper or the shank of the shoe rubbing against another part of the sole, or it can be caused by your foot/sock rubbing against the inside of the shoe.

If the latter, using talcum powder, wearing thicker socks, or installing some pads inside the shoes could help. If the former, particularly if the squeaking seems to be coming from inside the sole, it would well be difficult to fix and could be a manufacturing fault.
post #3383 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


Why would shoes be made to squeak? So that you couldn't sneak up on people? I really can't imagine any other reason.
My father grew up in London in the 1930s and 1940s, and I remember that he used to have a funny little saying about squeaking shoes that went something like, "If a man's shoes squeak, it means that he doesn't own them". Hence, whilst his statement was joking, I think that it indicates that squeaking shoes weren't thought of as a good thing.
Essentially, squeaking can be caused by one part of the shoe rubbing against another part of the shoe, such as the tongue rubbing against the inside of the shoe upper or the shank of the shoe rubbing against another part of the sole, or it can be caused by your foot/sock rubbing against the inside of the shoe.
If the latter, using talcum powder, wearing thicker socks, or installing some pads inside the shoes could help. If the former, particularly if the squeaking seems to be coming from inside the sole, it would well be difficult to fix and could be a manufacturing fault.

I can't tell you why, it was probably a fashion thing (my grandparents lived in eastern Europe, where the Budapester is still made).   Probably for the same reason that some men waxed their mustaches?!

post #3384 of 11793

alright guys so I purchased 2 shoes from Meermin. I paid for both on the 14th and on the 20th Luisa told me that I they were shipping out one of my purchases while they had to wait 30 days for the other. I know it is only the 29th but I was wondering how long it usually takes to receive these shoes. I wasn't provided with a tracking number and now I am quite worried.

post #3385 of 11793
^ Relax. I went through the same process and wait. Meermin came through with flying colors with the exception of a small FedEx snafu, which they immediately remedied.
post #3386 of 11793
It's only been just over a week man, relax. Shipping from Spain will take between one to two weeks, depending on how the shipping gods are feeling. If you're really worried, email Luisa for a tracking number.
post #3387 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naka View Post

It's only been just over a week man, relax. Shipping from Spain will take between one to two weeks, depending on how the shipping gods are feeling. If you're really worried, email Luisa for a tracking number.


Worry was a wrong choice of words. My concern doesn't stem from the shoe having not arrived already, but that I haven't received a tracking number yet. Was curious as to whether that was normal.

post #3388 of 11793
I only got an email with a tracking number when they actually shipped.
post #3389 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by lychyrychy View Post

So below are my new shoes!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Dude, they look amazing. Happy to see that they worked out well for you. Does this mean your in for the next group buy I'm organizing? mwink[1].gif

post #3390 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


Why would shoes be made to squeak? So that you couldn't sneak up on people? I really can't imagine any other reason.
My father grew up in London in the 1930s and 1940s, and I remember that he used to have a funny little saying about squeaking shoes that went something like, "If a man's shoes squeak, it means that he doesn't own them". Hence, whilst his statement was joking, I think that it indicates that squeaking shoes weren't thought of as a good thing.
Essentially, squeaking can be caused by one part of the shoe rubbing against another part of the shoe, such as the tongue rubbing against the inside of the shoe upper or the shank of the shoe rubbing against another part of the sole, or it can be caused by your foot/sock rubbing against the inside of the shoe.
If the latter, using talcum powder, wearing thicker socks, or installing some pads inside the shoes could help. If the former, particularly if the squeaking seems to be coming from inside the sole, it would well be difficult to fix and could be a manufacturing fault.


Thanks for the information, Journeyman.

 

Obviously, the squeaking of my shoes does not come from accessible parts of shoe rubbing against each other (as I could cause the sqeaking from just bending the shoes with my hands a little). Should I write Meermin about the issue?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes