or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 148

post #2206 of 10131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmen View Post

If you go to Meermin's channel on Vimeo, some videos say "@ Inca Factory". So I think it's safe to assume that those actions take place in Spain.  

 

Yes, but there's only two videos were it's written "@ Inca Factory", and these are the video about soles pre-burnishing and cordovan shell finishing for the small leather goods. So that more than anything else confirms the fact that it's just the finishing that is made in Spain, otherwise wouldn't they put out the text "@ Inca Factory" on all of the videos? 

 

For the record, I've asked the Meermin-people where their shoes are made to get it clear once and for all, but they didn't answer. We also know that they do read this thread occasionally, and if it wasn't true that the shoes are manufactured in China one would assume that they would want to tell us that. I got the feeling that they don't want to talk about it since they know that made in China often scares people a bit, so they just sit silent on this.

 

But to clarify, like I've done before, even though the shoes are manufactured in China I still think that it's really good shoes for the money, probably the best money-quality ratio out there, maybe except for Vass shoes ordered directly from Budapest.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachoo View Post


are you sure you looked closely enough? the stamp is kinda small, and is located at the inner edge of the insole, towards the middle of the shoe

Checked mine again, no sign of a stamp what so ever.


Edited by j ingevaldsson - 9/2/12 at 6:20am
post #2207 of 10131
Not sure if the "Made in Spain" stamp is a new thing — my pair is from July.

Wikipedia:
Quote:
Generally, articles only change their country of origin if the work or material added to an article in the second country constitutes a substantial transformation, or, the article changes its name, tariff code, character or use (for instance from wheel to car). Value added in the second country may also be an issue.

I've understood that the tariff code is a pretty important factor in determining the country of origin in the EU.

What does everyone mean by "finishing"?
post #2208 of 10131
The discussion about country of origin, and the derision of China as a manufacturer of quality goods is pretty interesting.

If we assume the quality of the garment - absent materials quality - can be described as a function of the amount of labor and the skill of the craftsman:

(labor hours)x(labor skill)

We can assume that the cost of labor hours for an equivalently skilled craftsman is lower in China than it is in Spain. Thus, assuming they can properly train their craftsmen, by manufacturing in China they can reach a higher quality for the same cost.

The cost can be described thus:

(labor hours)x(salary) = cost

If the salary is lower, the amount of hours going into a shoe can increase for the same constant cost.

The big assumption here is of course that the Chinese factory-workers are trained to a sufficiently high skill level. Personally I would find it very interesting to hear Pepe's and Sandro's approach to training people in China, assuming that is where the shoes are made.

From a personal perspective, I would actually LIKE this to be the explanation. If the reason for them being able to provide shoes of this quality at this price point is that they have lower salary costs, I could surmise that they are not cutting corners in the construction or materials of the shoe.

(very simplified model, of course - I was starting to put in coefficients and building out a more proper economic quality model, but decided to keep it this way)
post #2209 of 10131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post

The discussion about country of origin, and the derision of China as a manufacturer of quality goods is pretty interesting.
If we assume the quality of the garment - absent materials quality - can be described as a function of the amount of labor and the skill of the craftsman:
(labor hours)x(labor skill)
We can assume that the cost of labor hours for an equivalently skilled craftsman is lower in China than it is in Spain. Thus, assuming they can properly train their craftsmen, by manufacturing in China they can reach a higher quality for the same cost.
The cost can be described thus:
(labor hours)x(salary) = cost
If the salary is lower, the amount of hours going into a shoe can increase for the same constant cost.
The big assumption here is of course that the Chinese factory-workers are trained to a sufficiently high skill level. Personally I would find it very interesting to hear Pepe's and Sandro's approach to training people in China, assuming that is where the shoes are made.
From a personal perspective, I would actually LIKE this to be the explanation. If the reason for them being able to provide shoes of this quality at this price point is that they have lower salary costs, I could surmise that they are not cutting corners in the construction or materials of the shoe.
(very simplified model, of course - I was starting to put in coefficients and building out a more proper economic quality model, but decided to keep it this way)

too simple an explanation actually.

 

Let me break it down for you.

 

It costs less to manufacture in China.

Why do people move manufacturing over to China?

Is it to sell a product for the same retail and make a bigger profit margin or is it to produce a lower priced product using cheaper manufacturing.

 

This isn't about the Chinese making the shoes, it is about the decision to manufacture in China and how it represents a shift from high price to low price.

post #2210 of 10131
For me, it's a matter of 'voting with my pocketbook' as my grandmother would say.

Do I wish to spend my money in support of the practices of the Chinese government or in support of a government which is more friendly to my personal ideals?

I try to avoid made in China as much as possible because I have no reason to believe that the Chinese government is my friend.

There is no doubt that quality goods can be manufactured in China - all it takes is training and quality control.
post #2211 of 10131
I've asked a few pre-purchase questions lately, thanks for answering them, all. One last one: I'm trying to figure out the total outlay on 2 pair of classic line shoes, the last thing I'm unsure about it is the tariff. What can I expect to get dinged for on two pair?
post #2212 of 10131
I find, the whole do-I-buy-made-in-China thing hard. While, I wish, to not fund a bad practice system--one which pays it's players a tiny wage, and forces them, to work long hours--the people working those machines need every damn penny they can get. There's a really interesting documentary, called Last Train Home, about a couple who work in terrible conditions, so that their daughter can get an education. She, then, decides to quit, and take up the very same job her parents have. It's very sad; that's why I continue, to buy Made in China, and petition how I can.
post #2213 of 10131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

I find, the whole do-I-buy-made-in-China thing hard. While, I wish, to not fund a bad practice system--one which pays it's players a tiny wage, and forces them, to work long hours--the people working those machines need every damn penny they can get. There's a really interesting documentary, called Last Train Home, about a couple who work in terrible conditions, so that their daughter can get an education. She, then, decides to quit, and take up the very same job her parents have. It's very sad; that's why I continue, to buy Made in China, and petition how I can.

I share your struggle with this. To be sure my quibble is not at all with the Chinese people. For I wish them a good life and freedom from poverty, as I do everyone.

I work in China a good bit, the vast majority of my company's income is currently derived from providing professional services in China. (Thus we are actually exporting TO China from the US.) My Chinese counterparts are very much kept under lock and key. It is very hard for them to even get a visa to leave the country for business meetings. The government is in control of so much more than it might appear (IMO).

There is no easy answer here.
post #2214 of 10131
Re-made MTO modified oxford pair with black suede uppers, slim leather sole, dark purple lining. Natural welt top with white stitching, Hiro last.

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford02.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford03.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford04.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford05.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford06.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford07.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford08.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford09.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford10.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford11.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford12.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford13.jpg
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford14.jpg
post #2215 of 10131
is it just me or does that hidden/folded toe cap stitching look a bit off to anyone else?
post #2216 of 10131
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnamedPlayer View Post

too simple an explanation actually.

Let me break it down for you.

It costs less to manufacture in China.
Why do people move manufacturing over to China?
Is it to sell a product for the same retail and make a bigger profit margin or is it to produce a lower priced product using cheaper manufacturing.

This isn't about the Chinese making the shoes, it is about the decision to manufacture in China and how it represents a shift from high price to low price.

Let me un-break it down for you, since you are generalizing a bit too much. You are providing too simple an explanation, actually.

Assuming Meermin produces in China, Meermin's whole business model is premised on the wage differential between the western world and China. They can provide quality shoes at a cost they would not be able to produce shoes at if they were entirely made in Spain. They would be a different type of company if they produced in Spain - and their business model would be different: either they would be more expensive, or they would be of lower quality. As it is, Meermin has been able to find an unexploited niche in the market - a niche they can only target because of Chinese manufacturing.

I simply don't buy the notion that made in china = low quality.
post #2217 of 10131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

is it just me or does that hidden/folded toe cap stitching look a bit off to anyone else?

It does as well to me.
post #2218 of 10131

Hey guys,

 

you are just saying the same thing. Of course, at a given quality, the wage differential between Spain and China enables Meermin to offer the shoes cheaper by producing in China than in Spain. This does not necessarily imply low(er) quality. Nonetheless, as the same shoes would have to be sold at a higher price if produced in Spain, the shift from high price to low price mentioned by UnnamedPlayer is abolutely correct.
 

post #2219 of 10131
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford02.jpg

Nice!
post #2220 of 10131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post

As it is, Meermin has been able to find an unexploited niche in the market - a niche they can only target because of Chinese manufacturing.

What would you say that unexploited niche is exactly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes