or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 147

post #2191 of 11321
Guys-

Has anyone heard from Pepe or Sandro over the last few days? Just wondering if they're back from holiday yet; I wrote 4 days ago, no reply yet..
post #2192 of 11321
Trying to decide between dark brown and burgundy shell cordovan. I've seen this photo, but does anyone have any more? I'm trying to gauge how dark the dark brown is, and how red the burgundy is. If anyone can comment on how the burgundy compares to Horween #8, that would be appreciated as well.

(I'd ask Pepe these questions, but given the team's workload at the moment, I thought I'd check here first).
post #2193 of 11321
I think I saw a few pics that showed the burgundy being much lighter than number 8 SC but I'm not too sure.

From a personal perspective I'd choose burgundy over brown seeing as you've got a rather nice collection of brown shoes already; what style were you going for?
post #2194 of 11321

When the shoes came in It was much lighter than #8,  was also a bit dry and scratched easily, I conditioned it with some shoe cream and its now closer to #8

post #2195 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Trying to decide between dark brown and burgundy shell cordovan. I've seen this photo, but does anyone have any more? I'm trying to gauge how dark the dark brown is, and how red the burgundy is. If anyone can comment on how the burgundy compares to Horween #8, that would be appreciated as well.
(I'd ask Pepe these questions, but given the team's workload at the moment, I thought I'd check here first).

When the shoes came in It was much lighter than #8,  was also a bit dry and scratched easily, I conditioned it with some shoe cream and its now closer to #8

post #2196 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthetig3r View Post

where does it say made in spain? I have two pairs of classic collection and I don't see made in spain anywhere

On the insole, where that cushioning thing ends.
post #2197 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post


I'm interested in this model: http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2328.
If I remember correctly no one has posted a picture of those in this thread. I'd be grateful if anyone who has bought this model would share some pictures and/or experiences.
Thanks!

Not those, but almost the same except for the broguing on the toes.
post #2198 of 11321

It looks like they've raised the prices.  Classic Collection is now € 160 and the Linea Maestro is now € 260, and Shell Cordovan is now even € 30 more than before.

post #2199 of 11321
They need to pay for all the labor that SF orders have produced.
post #2200 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

can we find out once and for all where these things are made?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konda View Post


At least the Classic Collection shoes are made in China (a very small chance in some other Asian country, but China is the information I have been given).

 

If looking for quality significantly above average from your normal British/American shoes (like Loake 1880 series, Sanders, Allen Edmonds, Barker, Herring Shoes), I suggest one only considers the Linea Maestro line from Meermin and forgets about the Classic Collection. If one is looking for an average shoe, like the ones above, I suggest one goes for the Classic Collection: they are beater shoes, do not be mistaken about this.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsg View Post

It may be that the uppers are sewn in China and then welted in Spain. I believe Allen Edmonds does this with some of its "made in the USA" models (only replace China with the Dominican Republic)

 

I've written this before, but might as well do it again: The information I have is that BOTH the classical line and Linea maestro collection is made in China and finished in Spain (the information doesn't come directly from Meermin, but from people who have good insight into the shoe industry on Mallorca). I have no information on exactly what "finished" means and how much of the work it includes, but I'm pretty sure that it's far more than just the upper sewing that is made in China. Think about it, it would be too "good" to be true to get handwelted shoes entirely made in Spain for 250 euros (or 260 now, it appears). 

 

The fact that they stamp the insole with Made in Spain now (is this new, my pair don't have the stamp?) would therefore seem a bit odd I think, but it's a fact that it often takes just a bit of making in the country, eg "finishing" the product, to be able to put that "Made in..." stamp on it.

post #2201 of 11321

Well, I actually think the reason of the raised prices is the raised VAT in Spain.  The VAT went from 18% to 21%. That doesn't explain the whole increase though, but it might be one of the reasons.

post #2202 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson View Post

 

 

 

I've written this before, but might as well do it again: The information I have is that BOTH the classical line and Linea maestro collection is made in China and finished in Spain (the information doesn't come directly from Meermin, but from people who have good insight into the shoe industry on Mallorca). I have no information on exactly what "finished" means and how much of the work it includes, but I'm pretty sure that it's far more than just the upper sewing that is made in China. Think about it, it would be too "good" to be true to get handwelted shoes entirely made in Spain for 250 euros (or 260 now, it appears). 

 

The fact that they stamp the insole with Made in Spain now (is this new, my pair don't have the stamp?) would therefore seem a bit odd I think, but it's a fact that it often takes just a bit of making in the country, eg "finishing" the product, to be able to put that "Made in..." stamp on it.

If you go to Meermin's channel on Vimeo, some videos say "@ Inca Factory". So I think it's safe to assume that those actions take place in Spain.  

post #2203 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson View Post



The fact that they stamp the insole with Made in Spain now (is this new, my pair don't have the stamp?) would therefore seem a bit odd I think, but it's a fact that it often takes just a bit of making in the country, eg "finishing" the product, to be able to put that "Made in..." stamp on it.

are you sure you looked closely enough? the stamp is kinda small, and is located at the inner edge of the insole, towards the middle of the shoe
post #2204 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachoo View Post

are you sure you looked closely enough? the stamp is kinda small, and is located at the inner edge of the insole, towards the middle of the shoe

I just double checked and mine certainly don't have it.
post #2205 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmen View Post

If you go to Meermin's channel on Vimeo, some videos say "@ Inca Factory". So I think it's safe to assume that those actions take place in Spain.  

 

Yes, but there's only two videos were it's written "@ Inca Factory", and these are the video about soles pre-burnishing and cordovan shell finishing for the small leather goods. So that more than anything else confirms the fact that it's just the finishing that is made in Spain, otherwise wouldn't they put out the text "@ Inca Factory" on all of the videos? 

 

For the record, I've asked the Meermin-people where their shoes are made to get it clear once and for all, but they didn't answer. We also know that they do read this thread occasionally, and if it wasn't true that the shoes are manufactured in China one would assume that they would want to tell us that. I got the feeling that they don't want to talk about it since they know that made in China often scares people a bit, so they just sit silent on this.

 

But to clarify, like I've done before, even though the shoes are manufactured in China I still think that it's really good shoes for the money, probably the best money-quality ratio out there, maybe except for Vass shoes ordered directly from Budapest.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachoo View Post


are you sure you looked closely enough? the stamp is kinda small, and is located at the inner edge of the insole, towards the middle of the shoe

Checked mine again, no sign of a stamp what so ever.


Edited by j ingevaldsson - 9/2/12 at 6:20am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes