Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 8:04 pm in Classic Menswear
- Meermin MTO Austerity Brogue 10UK Olfe Last post on 7/16/14 at 8:02am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Meermin Shoes..? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:55pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 124post #1846 of 134768/14/12 at 12:52am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #1847 of 134768/14/12 at 1:32am
After 13 weeks (and therefore perfectly in time as communicated by José), I received my Meermin MTOs - tan wholecuts with brogueing on the VIL last in UK 11.
Here are some pictures:
While the packaging looks very nice, it came with a surprise: upon opening a strong "chemical" odor emerged, a smell you usually recognize when entering a store that sells cheap shoes. This smell comes from the upper leathers.
Quite a few here have commented that even their Classic Line Meermins would be of equal or higher quality and finish to their Crockett&Jones etc., statements that I found hard to believe. I own around 15 pairs of Crockett&Jones and Church', and I must say that the leather quality of at least this pair doesn't come anyway near those (not that this would be any surprise at their price point, yet I personally would consider this leather ok for Classic Line but not at the price of Linea Maestro). Not sure if it comes across well on the two pictures taken with flashlight: at least to my eyes the upper leather comes across quite artificial and veeery glossy, just like painted and sealed, it feels very "closed" and more like a polished, shiny surface than actually like leather. (Have written to José if this is the "standard" leather or if there are others of better quality, e.g. I'd love to see the ones made with Freudenberg calf). As many have said before, the leather itself but also the construction on heel and tip are very stiff and rigid, which is a bit uncomfortable at first but will allow the shoe to hold up well for quite some time, which is not bad. The finishing is well done. I'd personally rate this Linea Maestro model somewhere on par with most of my newer Allen Edmonds models.
Since I'm a US 11.5C (sometimes even width B), José had recommended to try the Vil last. As can be seen from the last picture, this last is reeeaaally small, and too small for me, the quarters come apart hugely. In addition, it is a bit too big, I should have stepped down to UK 10.5 to fit me well (but not more), yet the extra room for the sharp tip is amazing, the whole shoe comes out at an overall length of 330mm (13 inch)! Many will consider this shape modern and fashionable, for me it is too much and not what I consider good looking.
Robertpost #1848 of 134768/14/12 at 4:26ampost #1849 of 134768/14/12 at 4:46ampost #1850 of 134768/14/12 at 4:51amQuote:
You could edit your post with that information. I'm looking forward to the information! Did you order suede shoes or smooth leather shoes?post #1851 of 134768/14/12 at 4:53amQuote:
The same happened to me last week. It may take several hours, but your post will occur at that place in the thread where it would have been posted without the effect of the moderation.post #1852 of 134768/14/12 at 5:01amQuote:
Thanks for this! So I'm not alone ;-)Quote:
These are wholecuts in tan with some brogueing (will send picture in separate post). They had to be MTO because they are on the Vil last which only was available up to size UK 10.5, yet José's recommendation was to try UK 11. That last had to be made first, which took the regular MTO time of 12 weeks.post #1853 of 134768/14/12 at 5:08ampost #1854 of 134768/14/12 at 5:18ampost #1855 of 134768/14/12 at 5:54amHope my initial post is up soon, it's all in there ;-)
Many have said here that even the Classic Line for them is as good or even better as C&Js and the likes. I own mainly Crockett&Jones and Church's and find these Meermins to be of a quality in my personal opinion that comes not anywhere close in comparison. Rather on par with newer Allen Edmonds I'd say. So very understandable, especially given the price, but not something I consider an option for myself.post #1856 of 134768/14/12 at 6:08amQuote:Quote:
Indeed. As someone who's close, but hasn't quite yet pulled the trigger ...post #1857 of 134768/14/12 at 6:16ampost #1858 of 134768/14/12 at 6:43ampost #1859 of 134768/14/12 at 7:33ampost #1860 of 134768/14/12 at 7:40am
- Meermin Mallorca Shoes
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 48 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 54 seconds ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 1 minute ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 1 minute ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY 4 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 4 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 5 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS15 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 9 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...