Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:15 am in Classic Menswear
- Meermin MTO Austerity Brogue 10UK Olfe Last post on 7/16/14 at 8:02am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Meermin Shoes..? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Meermin 10164 brogues UK 8 (fits UK 7.5) ** DROP ** Last post on 12/31/15 at 12:01pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Can I get the toe of my leather shoes repaired? Can I put in metal...
Last edited: 2/11/16
- How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets that have turned black/Last edited: 2/10/16
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: 2/10/16
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 124post #1846 of 144808/14/12 at 12:52am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #1847 of 144808/14/12 at 1:32am
After 13 weeks (and therefore perfectly in time as communicated by José), I received my Meermin MTOs - tan wholecuts with brogueing on the VIL last in UK 11.
Here are some pictures:
While the packaging looks very nice, it came with a surprise: upon opening a strong "chemical" odor emerged, a smell you usually recognize when entering a store that sells cheap shoes. This smell comes from the upper leathers.
Quite a few here have commented that even their Classic Line Meermins would be of equal or higher quality and finish to their Crockett&Jones etc., statements that I found hard to believe. I own around 15 pairs of Crockett&Jones and Church', and I must say that the leather quality of at least this pair doesn't come anyway near those (not that this would be any surprise at their price point, yet I personally would consider this leather ok for Classic Line but not at the price of Linea Maestro). Not sure if it comes across well on the two pictures taken with flashlight: at least to my eyes the upper leather comes across quite artificial and veeery glossy, just like painted and sealed, it feels very "closed" and more like a polished, shiny surface than actually like leather. (Have written to José if this is the "standard" leather or if there are others of better quality, e.g. I'd love to see the ones made with Freudenberg calf). As many have said before, the leather itself but also the construction on heel and tip are very stiff and rigid, which is a bit uncomfortable at first but will allow the shoe to hold up well for quite some time, which is not bad. The finishing is well done. I'd personally rate this Linea Maestro model somewhere on par with most of my newer Allen Edmonds models.
Since I'm a US 11.5C (sometimes even width B), José had recommended to try the Vil last. As can be seen from the last picture, this last is reeeaaally small, and too small for me, the quarters come apart hugely. In addition, it is a bit too big, I should have stepped down to UK 10.5 to fit me well (but not more), yet the extra room for the sharp tip is amazing, the whole shoe comes out at an overall length of 330mm (13 inch)! Many will consider this shape modern and fashionable, for me it is too much and not what I consider good looking.
Robertpost #1848 of 144808/14/12 at 4:26ampost #1849 of 144808/14/12 at 4:46ampost #1850 of 144808/14/12 at 4:51amQuote:
You could edit your post with that information. I'm looking forward to the information! Did you order suede shoes or smooth leather shoes?post #1851 of 144808/14/12 at 4:53amQuote:
The same happened to me last week. It may take several hours, but your post will occur at that place in the thread where it would have been posted without the effect of the moderation.post #1852 of 144808/14/12 at 5:01amQuote:
Thanks for this! So I'm not alone ;-)Quote:
These are wholecuts in tan with some brogueing (will send picture in separate post). They had to be MTO because they are on the Vil last which only was available up to size UK 10.5, yet José's recommendation was to try UK 11. That last had to be made first, which took the regular MTO time of 12 weeks.post #1853 of 144808/14/12 at 5:08ampost #1854 of 144808/14/12 at 5:18ampost #1855 of 144808/14/12 at 5:54amHope my initial post is up soon, it's all in there ;-)
Many have said here that even the Classic Line for them is as good or even better as C&Js and the likes. I own mainly Crockett&Jones and Church's and find these Meermins to be of a quality in my personal opinion that comes not anywhere close in comparison. Rather on par with newer Allen Edmonds I'd say. So very understandable, especially given the price, but not something I consider an option for myself.post #1856 of 144808/14/12 at 6:08amQuote:Quote:
Indeed. As someone who's close, but hasn't quite yet pulled the trigger ...post #1857 of 144808/14/12 at 6:16ampost #1858 of 144808/14/12 at 6:43ampost #1859 of 144808/14/12 at 7:33ampost #1860 of 144808/14/12 at 7:40am
- Meermin Mallorca Shoes
Styleforum Top Picks
- How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets that have turned black/
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 5 seconds ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 30 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › tailors in seoul korea? 8 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 9 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 12 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.