or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 102

post #1516 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


I can say with certainty that my MTO LM Meermins don't come close to my Saint Crispin's, John Lobbs, and Edward Greens. I can also say for certain that I find them to be much better than Loake, Allen Edmonds, and Alfred Sargent Premiers (which I don't think are being made anymore, so one shouldn't use this as a comment on the current AS line). Between those two ends of the spectrum is a toss up in terms of comparison, but I will say this - none of them are selling shoes for the prices that Meermin is offering theirs for.

Hey Derek, I was just wondering if you're referring both referring Classic Collection and Linea Maestro, or just the latter when you say the quality of Meermin to be much better than Allen Edmonds, etc. for certain. (I guess it's just Linea Maestro since you wrote "LM Meermins"?)

 

I'm also curious what are the features of Meermin that distinguish itself from those like Allen Edmond's. Is it the quality of leather or their channeled stitching construction?
I am trying to start a decent shoe collection for the first time of my life and thought of starting with AE given that it was best option for my price range with its reputable quality, but after reading your review of Meermin on PTO, I am having a second thoughts on that choice...

post #1517 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedream View Post

Hey Derek, I was just wondering if you're referring both referring Classic Collection and Linea Maestro, or just the latter when you say the quality of Meermin to be much better than Allen Edmonds, etc. for certain. (I guess it's just Linea Maestro since you wrote "LM Meermins"?)

I'm also curious what are the features of Meermin that distinguish itself from those like Allen Edmond's. Is it the quality of leather or their channeled stitching construction?

I am trying to start a decent shoe collection for the first time of my life and thought of starting with AE given that it was best option for my price range with its reputable quality, but after reading your review of Meermin on PTO, I am having a second thoughts on that choice...

The quality of my classic collection Meermin chukkas is nothing to write home about. They are not assembled as well as a pair of AE malverns in my opinion.

I see ravings about the quality of the LM line, but I also see quite a few issues, which is worrying given the small number of shoes produced.

I'd personally give the money to AE. You can try them on, returns are free and easy, customer service is excellent, and the shoes, while not overly sleek are well built, good looking, and long lasting.
post #1518 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cucumber View Post


My friend; are you not using shoe trees? That is shoe abuse.

 

I do, I just took those pics when I woke up yesterday morning
post #1519 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cucumber View Post


My friend; are you not using shoe trees? That is shoe abuse.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

I do, I just took those pics when I woke up yesterday morning

I am not sure if that means you only use them when you are awake or that your shoes go without them while you're sleeping. It sounds like they're getting some benefit either way, but still odd.
post #1520 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by razl View Post

I am not sure if that means you only use them when you are awake or that your shoes go without them while you're sleeping. It sounds like they're getting some benefit either way, but still odd.

Leave the dude alone. One photo of shoes without trees doesn't say anything about whether he uses them or doesn't. And if he's paid enough attention to shoes to own a pair of Meermins, he knows the importance of trees without anyone here having to chide him on it.
post #1521 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson View Post

I’ve had to return shoes from Loake 1880 as well as C&J BG because of faulty production. It happens. You just don’t want it to happen too often.

To be sure, these things happen on even higher-end shoes than C&J BG too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedream View Post

Hey Derek, I was just wondering if you're referring both referring Classic Collection and Linea Maestro, or just the latter when you say the quality of Meermin to be much better than Allen Edmonds, etc. for certain. (I guess it's just Linea Maestro since you wrote "LM Meermins"?)

I'm also curious what are the features of Meermin that distinguish itself from those like Allen Edmond's. Is it the quality of leather or their channeled stitching construction?

I am trying to start a decent shoe collection for the first time of my life and thought of starting with AE given that it was best option for my price range with its reputable quality, but after reading your review of Meermin on PTO, I am having a second thoughts on that choice...

Both the Classic and Linea Maestro are partly made in Shanghai, but I don't know which parts of the production are done where.

Allen Edmonds is a decent entry-level brand. Their construction is solid, their leathers are good, and ignoring the fact that most of their range is pretty ugly, they do carry a few decent (if not unremarkable) conservative designs. And they sell things at reasonable prices, which is admirable. I'd say they're fairly comparable to Loake 1880.

It's just that with Allen Edmonds, you're getting the bare basics with no bells or whistles. I found that my Meermin MTO Linea Maestros were constructed just as well as my Loakes and Allen Edmonds, but the last was more handsome, the leathers more nicely finished, and the soles channeled. To be sure, these features don't add to the shoes' durability, and the true quality of Meermin will reveal itself in about three to seven years. But the brands we value above Allen Edmonds aren't bought because they're more durable, either. We buy them because the we like the designs, lasts, and various finishing touches.

MTOs and Linea Maestro RTWs are also hand welted, and it's been said that this is a superior form of construction. I have no idea if this is true. I have a pair of handwelted Saint Crispin's, and I appreciate them for their artisanal quality. Beyond that, I've found them to be just as durable as my gemmed Edward Greens and John Lobbs. But to be fair, the argument is mostly that handwelted shoes can withstand multiple resolings more easily, and I’ve only had one of these shoes recrafted since buying them brand new (the Saint Crispin’s). Perhaps Meermin will show these claims to be true, or perhaps they won’t. Really, nobody is going to know for certain until the year 2020 or so.

One minor criticism I have, and others here have noted as well, is that Meermin's shoes are bit stiff at first. Mine broke in after about a dozen wears and are comfortable now, however.

In the end, I think the quality to price ratio here is quite high. You can customize your order for just forty euros, or get RTW shell cordovan shoes for 232 euros (after VAT deductions). Any criticisms given so far about their Classic range should be read in context that they’re being compared to brands that are retailing for about 50-60% more (note, I have no personal experience with the Classic range, just MTO Linea Maestro). People here are examining their shoes with microscopes, looking for small nicks and slightly less well-finished soles (tests, frankly, that I don’t think any of my shoes, from any brand, would have passed). Meanwhile, they’re missing the bigger picture. There’s a company now that makes decent quality shoes with nice finishing touches, and lets you customize orders all for a price that’s less than most entry-level brands. That’s kind of amazing.
Edited by dieworkwear - 7/31/12 at 8:37am
post #1522 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by razl View Post

I am not sure if that means you only use them when you are awake or that your shoes go without them while you're sleeping. It sounds like they're getting some benefit either way, but still odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Leave the dude alone. One photo of shoes without trees doesn't say anything about whether he uses them or doesn't. And if he's paid enough attention to shoes to own a pair of Meermins, he knows the importance of trees without anyone here having to chide him on it.

I was joking and/or the snark got away from me. Seriously, i wasn't chiding - his answer was funny. The summary reads like something out of a Sartoriale Caddyshack:

"You don't use shoe trees?"
"I just woke up."
post #1523 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

One criticism I have, and others here have noted as well, is that Meermin's shoes are bit stiff at first. Mine broke in after about a dozen wears and are comfortable now, however.

 

I understand that you went with the MTO LM line. With regards to the Classic line (single monks and wholecuts on the AMA last), both have been extremely comfortable with no breaking in from the get-go.

 

I do a lot of walking after work, as I usually walk from Paddington to Regent's Park, around the Park, and then to Warren Street to take advantage of the clement weather and decent women. My Meermins have been exceptional in this regard. My Loake 1880 Aldwych's (the only entry level shoes I can compare) much less so. Even now, a couple of months later, after a number of wearings (once a week), the upper leather but especially the sole, is hard. The upper leather is starting to break in slowly, but the sole is not comfortable for extended walking i.e. anything more than walking to the tube station, then a short jaunt to the office.

 

In retrospect, I would never have bought the Loakes - although the shape of the Aldwych last is growing on me since I've had my suit tailored. That said, without purchasing the Loakes, I would never have purchased my Meermins.

post #1524 of 11321
I'm not a big country of origin guy, but for some reason, the fact that their LM line is partially made in china bothers me.
post #1525 of 11321
Just ordered a pair of the double monks in dark brown on their narrow New Rey last. Will post photos when they arrive.

I do want to call out, however, their wonderful customer service. José and I have just finished a flurry of emails to each other as I had a few questions. And it is almost one in the morning in Spain!

AHS
post #1526 of 11321

From what I understand, Allen Edmonds are partially made in the Dominican Republic as well.

post #1527 of 11321
post #1528 of 11321

Hi all,

 

Just wanting to confirm with all the experts/purchasers here about sizing (not wanting the hassle of sending shoes back). Had a couple of emails between Jose and myself about sizing for both the Rui and Hiro lasts. My feet length is 26.5 cm and width is 10cm. Jose suggested that a size UK 8 would be fine in both. Does this work for most people in the forums who might be in this range?

 

Looking at the measurements in the posts before for the Hiro last:

L 298mm shoe sole 8UK. - L 301mm shoe sole 8,5UK.
W 105mm shoe sole 8UK. - W 108mm shoe sole 8,5UK.
L 281mm last 8UK. - L 285mm last 8,5UK.
W 101mm last 8UK. - W 103mm last 8,5UK.
Feet 26,3 cm 8UK - Feet 26,9 cm 8,5UK

Size UK 8 seems quite small to me just looking at feet? Am i looking at the right thing or should i be looking at the shoe sole or last which is both bigger?

post #1529 of 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsg View Post

From what I understand, Allen Edmonds are partially made in the Dominican Republic as well.

some of the uppers are stitched to their liners in the DR, thats true.
post #1530 of 11321

Hey Derek, thank you so much for your awesome reply and sharing your thoughts. So I guess I'll do my first decent (new) shoes purchase with Meermin MTO Linea Maestros. Better check my bank balance..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes