or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 933

post #13981 of 15548
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

So 2 years was just one person, and in the interest of having a good discussion, I shouldn't have focused on that.

There are, however, many many posts of person saying they just can't walk far with these shoes, they are getting blisters just wearing them, and the heels and toes are extremely unforgiving.

From what I've read, the LM line is probably the better buy, and it's the Classic line that has these issues.

I'm trying to figure out why so many people are putting up with potentially ruining their feet. It's not exactly great value if you're not comfortable, regardless of how good the shoes may look, or how little they cost comparatively.

This is what's making me so hesitant to try them. Well that, shipping, duties and the low CAD. Might as well bite the bullet and keep an eye out for Carminas.

Most people buy through the web this brand.  Most people do not know their feet. Most people get wrong lasts.  I believe those people are the ones with blisters.

 

Again, FIT is always a must on a shoe, but specially with brands like Meermin.

post #13982 of 15548
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL50 View Post

 

ANTIQUE OAK CALF

Finally!! the real life pics of the antique oak double monk.

please post more outdoor pics if you can, Im drooling over here :)

ps. the color is quite similar to my normal dark brown calf (maybe a bit lighter),not sure if its due to lighting.

post #13983 of 15548

Received my first pair of Meermin's last week; a pair of antique oak & country calf balmoral boots. 

 

Initial impressions were that the finishing and attention to detail was definitely below the likes of C&J, Carmina, etc. Some of the broguing holes were off centre and there were inconsistencies and marks on the upper. Having said that, I was expecting this considering the price point and what I managed to gather from this invaluable thread.

 

The upper itself seems like good value relative to price, although is undeniably stiff out of the box. Much stiffer than my pair of Tricker Stow's were out of the box. Some of this may be due to the design of the shoe itself, or some other processing Meermin apply to the leather. The heel counters are very stiff compared to C&J, and were difficult to manage but bearable for a break-in. The Hiro last isn't something that excites me too much, but it does the job and looks the part on this boot. I'd also much prefer if the shoe had more eyelets for the lacing rather than the speed hooks, which ironically take longer to put on!

 

Aesthetic wise, I think the calf and grain complement each other very well, although I'd say the images on the website aren't reflective of the different shades the brown can take on. The image below was take under indirect sunlight on a damp London day. The leather takes to a mirror shine fairly well and looks like it will provide many years of service.

 

 

 

All in all, I am satisfied with the shoes given the price that I paid, just can't hold Meermin to the same quality standards that I'd hold other higher end manufacturers to.

post #13984 of 15548

Are those LM?.  I agree 100% with you.

 

Nice boots.

post #13985 of 15548
Excellent wrtie-up and a very nice shine! I would love to see how the shoes of others has developed over multiple wears.
post #13986 of 15548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks11 View Post
 

Received my first pair of Meermin's last week; a pair of antique oak & country calf balmoral boots. 

 

Initial impressions were that the finishing and attention to detail was definitely below the likes of C&J, Carmina, etc. Some of the broguing holes were off centre and there were inconsistencies and marks on the upper. Having said that, I was expecting this considering the price point and what I managed to gather from this invaluable thread.

 

The upper itself seems like good value relative to price, although is undeniably stiff out of the box. Much stiffer than my pair of Tricker Stow's were out of the box. Some of this may be due to the design of the shoe itself, or some other processing Meermin apply to the leather. The heel counters are very stiff compared to C&J, and were difficult to manage but bearable for a break-in. The Hiro last isn't something that excites me too much, but it does the job and looks the part on this boot. I'd also much prefer if the shoe had more eyelets for the lacing rather than the speed hooks, which ironically take longer to put on!

 

Aesthetic wise, I think the calf and grain complement each other very well, although I'd say the images on the website aren't reflective of the different shades the brown can take on. The image below was take under indirect sunlight on a damp London day. The leather takes to a mirror shine fairly well and looks like it will provide many years of service.

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

All in all, I am satisfied with the shoes given the price that I paid, just can't hold Meermin to the same quality standards that I'd hold other higher end manufacturers to.

Looks to be a little more reddish? I have an MTO coming antique oak and dark brown country calf. A little concerned it won't be as contrasting as I hoped. 

post #13987 of 15548
FWIW I wore the Meermin patent balmorals on my wedding day without breaking them in until it was time to actually wear them and i danced the night away with no issues or pain on the day of or the next day. They were seconds, too.
post #13988 of 15548

Just my two (or three) cents on the Hiro last vs. Loake Capital last, in case anyone else was searching for info on that (I found a good bit here before ordering) - the Capital last is one of the few balmoral oxfords I've found that fits me well (as well as having a pleasing last shape to my preferences) in terms of instep, allowing the laces to completely close. The Hiro last oxfords do not, which I can't stand at all (I knew it was a risk when I ordered them, but at that price, I decided if they didn't close well they'd be beater and rain shoes). I picked up balmorals in both dark brown grain (combo leather/rubber sole) and dark brown suede (double rubber sole) so they'll work fine for those purposes.

 

w/r/t sizing: I've heard many say on here that the Capital last is true to size and so is the Hiro, so to stick with that. Meermin also advised me on this when I emailed them. That said, some others have noted that the Capital last is a bit roomy and to size up half a size with Meermin. I ultimately did go up a half size, to be safe (figured I could always throw in heel pads or whatever).

 

Even with going up a half size, they're almost unbearably tight. Not unwearable (assuming they break in well - the grain leather ones are RIDICULOUSLY stiff out of the box) but certainly not what I'd want for an every day rotation shoe. I'm thinking I should've gone up a full size for the Hiro, which is weird as no one else seems to have done this and furthermore that'd be a full size bigger than every other shoe I've owned (except loafers, where I size one half down), regardless of the international sizing conversion.

 

Anyhow, annoying and weird to me, and not something I expected after scouring this thread on the subject as well as contacting Meermin. Rain and beater shoes it is. Shame, because they seem relatively well made for the price and I like the styling more or less.

 

EDIT: here's a comparison pic of the suede Meermin's (left) and suede Loake 1880 Aldwych on the Capital last, because, well, why not?

 


Edited by Andrew Ryan - 11/8/15 at 6:18am
post #13989 of 15548

A question: anyone have any experience with classic collection suede in the rain? I don't wear my nicer suede oxfords in the rain, but these DO have a double rubber sole, and I don't mind beating them up a bit (but not too much). Is the idea of a dedicated rain shoe in suede stupid, or does Meermin's suede hold up okay to rain? FWIW I've already brushed them and treated them with two rounds of protective spray.

post #13990 of 15548
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

So 2 years was just one person, and in the interest of having a good discussion, I shouldn't have focused on that.

There are, however, many many posts of person saying they just can't walk far with these shoes, they are getting blisters just wearing them, and the heels and toes are extremely unforgiving.

From what I've read, the LM line is probably the better buy, and it's the Classic line that has these issues.

I'm trying to figure out why so many people are putting up with potentially ruining their feet. It's not exactly great value if you're not comfortable, regardless of how good the shoes may look, or how little they cost comparatively.

This is what's making me so hesitant to try them. Well that, shipping, duties and the low CAD. Might as well bite the bullet and keep an eye out for Carminas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post

Most people buy through the web this brand.  Most people do not know their feet. Most people get wrong lasts.  I believe those people are the ones with blisters.

Again, FIT is always a must on a shoe, but specially with brands like Meermin.
+1 I believe it's more of a fit issue or shoes being to narrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan View Post

A question: anyone have any experience with classic collection suede in the rain? I don't wear my nicer suede oxfords in the rain, but these DO have a double rubber sole, and I don't mind beating them up a bit (but not too much). Is the idea of a dedicated rain shoe in suede stupid, or does Meermin's suede hold up okay to rain? FWIW I've already brushed them and treated them with two rounds of protective spray.

I use my suede chukkas as rain shoes, no issues with suede though find their dainite version a bit more slippery than normal dainite
post #13991 of 15548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan View Post
 

A question: anyone have any experience with classic collection suede in the rain? I don't wear my nicer suede oxfords in the rain, but these DO have a double rubber sole, and I don't mind beating them up a bit (but not too much). Is the idea of a dedicated rain shoe in suede stupid, or does Meermin's suede hold up okay to rain? FWIW I've already brushed them and treated them with two rounds of protective spray.

 

Yes, got my suede loafers in some really heavy rain a few days ago and they held up surprisingly well, I also had 2 coatings of protective spray.

 

The only problem is that the dainite soles are quite slippery when wet, I always thought dainite soles would have more grip than leather but I was mistaken (at least in this case, it's my first pair of dainite sole shoes).

post #13992 of 15548
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTopCat View Post
 

 

Yes, got my suede loafers in some really heavy rain a few days ago and they held up surprisingly well, I also had 2 coatings of protective spray.

 

The only problem is that the dainite soles are quite slippery when wet, I always thought dainite soles would have more grip than leather but I was mistaken (at least in this case, it's my first pair of dainite sole shoes).

 

I believe Meermin does not use actual Dianite soles, rather their own version of it (a rubber sole with the dianite pattern).  I would imagine that genuine dianite soles (like those found on select Allen Edmonds rubber soled shoes), would have a significantly better grip than leather when wet.

post #13993 of 15548
Pair of Loakes with Dainite sole vs Meermin's 'genuine double rubber' sole:
 

 

post #13994 of 15548

Haven't worn the Meermins in rain yet, just got them - but the Loakes are great in the rain, and cursory inspection reveals no obvious difference between the two.


Edited by Andrew Ryan - 11/8/15 at 6:35pm
post #13995 of 15548

I REALLY want a pair of the Dark Brown Rapello Suede Chelsea boots. Does anyone know what the status of these boots is? Or a replacement? The color is absolutely DIVINE.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes