or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 720

post #10786 of 11009
Doubt I'll get any bites but would anyone be interested in a really boring staple style MTO?

I'm imagining these two shoes:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


No perf, in New Ray or Park, in black calf. Dainite sole on the boot, single leather on the derby.
post #10787 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradSchooler View Post

Doubt I'll get any bites but would anyone be interested in a really boring staple style MTO?

I'm imagining these two shoes:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


No perf, in New Ray or Park, in black calf. Dainite sole on the boot, single leather on the derby.

So basically a Meermin tetbury/highbury?
post #10788 of 11009
Basically, yeah.
post #10789 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradSchooler View Post

Basically, yeah.

Is New Rey narrow, or a standard width last with a low instep?
post #10790 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post


Is New Rey narrow, or a standard width last with a low instep?

 

Instep:

 

 

 

 

New ray

= C-/B width narrow

= low instep

 

 

Olfe

= c/c+/d-  width average (Actaully has more room in the toes even though it has an more tapered toe box. To do this the shoe is made a bit longer.)

= averge instep

 

Hiro

= c/c+/d-  width average (Less room in the toes than olfe, I think. And also less tapered in the toes.)

= High instep

post #10791 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfjh View Post

Presents from Mallorca arrived today
 
 

@markfjh Congrats mate! Great pictures. How was the fit? 

 

I've worn mine twice and they feel really good without socks. The belt was too short, on the last hole for me, but I can use it. And I've found out that it looks better than most of my belts, even though it's too short. I am definitely planning on ordering more belts.

 

Also wearing my dark brown oxford brouges today... I absolutely love them. I prefer them over my Loake Aldwych any day. 

I need to get them to a cobbler to get toe irons on though, they wear pretty easily. Also the leather sole seems to wear easier than Loakes.

Anyhow, I prefer Meermins over Loakes any day. I am a very satsified customer.

post #10792 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanerik View Post
 
 

@markfjh Congrats mate! Great pictures. How was the fit? 

 

I've worn mine twice and they feel really good without socks. The belt was too short, on the last hole for me, but I can use it. And I've found out that it looks better than most of my belts, even though it's too short. I am definitely planning on ordering more belts.

 

Also wearing my dark brown oxford brouges today... I absolutely love them. I prefer them over my Loake Aldwych any day. 

I need to get them to a cobbler to get toe irons on though, they wear pretty easily. Also the leather sole seems to wear easier than Loakes.

Anyhow, I prefer Meermins over Loakes any day. I am a very satsified customer.

 

I think i could have gone with a half size down without socks :( I haven't actually tried either of them on though, will definitely do so tomorrow or this weekend.

 

I must agree that the belt does look pretty good! well worth the money I feel.

post #10793 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yipjam View Post

Does anyone know or have any photos of how the Meermin Tan Country Calf boot compares to the Crockett and Jones Coniston?


I second this, if anyone can make a comparison.

post #10794 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejake View Post
 


I second this, if anyone can make a comparison.

 

Third...

post #10795 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omert4 View Post

There are advantages and disadvantages. Some of the advantages of the goodyear welt is that the adhesive will also work as a sealant and having a continuous bond from the glue will allow a more even distribution of force. In a handwelted shoe, the force/stress are localized around the holes and holes are always stress raisers that can negatively impact the structural integrity. Bonded/glued construction is used in space industries due to these advantages. As long as a good quality glue is used and applied right, there's nothing wrong with it. 

I remember seeing a thread not long ago where a Vass handwelted shoe prematurely failed.

Sorry, with all due respect, but this is just to stupid to let go unanswered. First of all, a gemmed shoe will of course also have stitches in the glued canvas rib, making them have the same "weakness" of a stitch around the holes that you talk about, plus the fact that the rib is glued. Secondly, you do know that all shoes are glued too, not just the stitches holding them together? So the pressure is evened out over the whole shoe, whether it's a Goodyear welted or hand welted shoe.
post #10796 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson View Post


Sorry, with all due respect, but this is just to stupid to let go unanswered. First of all, a gemmed shoe will of course also have stitches in the glued canvas rib, making them have the same "weakness" of a stitch around the holes that you talk about, plus the fact that the rib is glued. Secondly, you do know that all shoes are glued too, not just the stitches holding them together? So the pressure is evened out over the whole shoe, whether it's a Goodyear welted or hand welted shoe.

 

I believe you meant "too stupid," with all due respect.

 

You are correct that the canvas rib will have stitching, but you forgot about the insole in the hand welted shoe. The holes in the insole will allow for more points of failure.

post #10797 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omert4 View Post
 

 

I believe you meant "too stupid," with all due respect.

 

You are correct that the canvas rib will have stitching, but you forgot about the insole in the hand welted shoe. The holes in the insole will allow for more points of failure.

 

Yes, I missed a letter. Good for you.

 

Please explain how holes in a holdfast cut out from a thicker insole of a higher grade of leather allow for more points of failure, than a thin insole of lesser quality leather (or even leatherboard or paperboard in some cases) with a glued on canvas rib with the holes in?

post #10798 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson View Post

 

 

I would just let it go man.

You are not going to convince him that handwelting is better. 

 

Sure if you use space age glue it may/will hold together but nothing seals the deal like an physical bond - Needle and thread.

 

Everything is overkill with shoes at this price.

(I mean seriously i can go down the street and buy 15-20 PAIRS of NEW glued shoes at the local store for the price of one LM meermin calf pair.)

 

So i just look at it as if I am paying this much I may as well get the one that logically makes the most sense to me. And that was hand welting for me. 

 

If he does not share this opinion thats okay.

post #10799 of 11009
It's all theoretical anyway. Yes, Meermin uses hand welting, but their QC is so bad that people get shoes that are lasted completely wrong, are off center or have other issues that impact durability. All of the advantages of hand welding aren't enough to overcome the disadvantages of bad QC.
post #10800 of 11009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

It's all theoretical anyway. Yes, Meermin uses hand welting, but their QC is so bad that people get shoes that are lasted completely wrong, are off center or have other issues that impact durability. All of the advantages of hand welding aren't enough to overcome the disadvantages of bad QC.

100% true you never know what really goes on the the back room of the handwelting operation in china. 

The only way to know for sure would be for one of the people here to do an shoe take teardown to actually see what is actually going on inside. (Any one got a pair of LM meermins that they are ready to toss?)

 

(I like to think/believe (possibly incorrectly) even with meermins external QC issues* they have an better product internally b/c of handwelting but like you said this may be a pipe dream. My next shoe will probably be Vass b/c of this.)

 

* I should also say i don't care if my shoes come in 100% clean/Scratchless. after one week of wear i put 7-8 miles on them and quite a few wear marks. As long as they can be buffed out i don't really care. Screwing up the lasting process is a big issue to me but I've only seen 1-2 examples of this in the last 2-3 years. And most probably go a refund. Sole splits are also asthetic and not that big of a deal. 

 

- Also their have been less QC complaints in the past year than before - however, there are more supply chain complaints recently.


Edited by leetpuma - 6/25/14 at 3:58am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes