or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meermin Mallorca Shoes - Page 695

post #10411 of 11012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

I have some shell from them. I've some shell from Horween. I can't tell the difference because neither have been worn much yet. If there is a difference, I suspect I'll only notice it after a few years (they both get worn maybe twice a month each).

 

Here's a picture of the Meermin's after about a dozen wears.

 

Looking good for the most part even with the fears I have had.

 

If a dozen wears you have not noticed the color lightening that is probably a good sign. 

 

Here an article from 2012 of how meermin was dealing with shell. This fellow's shell would lighen after 1 wear.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?119749-Meermin

 

At the factory:

 

 

After a couple wears

 

 

After adding some color back:

 

 

Has any one with meermin shell experienced this?

 

I have a feeling meermin probably has a bettering dyeing process than in 2012 since I have not heard too many bad things about their shell since then.

post #10412 of 11012

I could be wrong but I think you are starting to move into territory where you are dealing with a lack of moisture in the shell, even my carmina shell has smaller instances of the effect above but its become non existant after a few wears and applying saphir.  Where this has been discussed in this thread the past most users report the same thing.

post #10413 of 11012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris2012 View Post
 

I could be wrong but I think you are starting to move into territory where you are dealing with a lack of moisture in the shell, even my carmina shell has smaller instances of the effect above but its become non existant after a few wears and applying saphir.  Where this has been discussed in this thread the past most users report the same thing.


Oh I see. So this is less a coloring issue and more of an dryness one.

 

That is good to hear. That some saphir conditioner will likely clear it up.

 

Again I have never owned shell and so I have 0 experience with what happens as you wear it.

 

===================================

 

Is this dryness harmful for the shoe upper?

 

I have heard shell is some of the highest oil impregnated leather (at least at horween) it soaks for months (6 months if i remember) in vats of oil.

 

If the shell is still dry after that it is pretty impressively non-porous.

 

And since carmina uses horween shell and it even can be dry. I cant expect anything better from even the argentinian shell.

post #10414 of 11012
For recent orders, how long after the "your order is ready to be shipped" email do you receive another email with the invoice?

thanks
post #10415 of 11012
In my experience, about a day or two.
post #10416 of 11012
The in-stock inventory is really lacking for shell offerings. Anybody interested in doing a group MTO for some shells? That is, if they even offer it...
Edited by JezeC - 5/13/14 at 8:58am
post #10417 of 11012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post

For recent orders, how long after the "your order is ready to be shipped" email do you receive another email with the invoice?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiva View Post

In my experience, about a day or two.


If you find yourself with the same question in the future, look to your junk folder. The updated order email went to my inbox, but the payment request went to my junk. The emails had been sent within minutes of each other.
post #10418 of 11012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetpuma View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Looking good for the most part even with the fears I have had.

 

If a dozen wears you have not noticed the color lightening that is probably a good sign.

 

Here an article from 2012 of how meermin was dealing with shell. This fellow's shell would lighen after 1 wear.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?119749-Meermin

 

At the factory:

 

 

After a couple wears

 

 

After adding some color back:

 

Has any one with meermin shell experienced this?

 

I have a feeling meermin probably has a bettering dyeing process than in 2012 since I have not heard too many bad things about their shell since then.

 

Yes, that was my experience precisely.  I bought mine in August 2012 and got those white lines every time I wore them.  After several applications of Saphir's cordovan creme, the white lines went away, so likely had something to do with dryness.  I used the colored cordovan creme due to finishing issues with my shoes.  Here is a picture of them today:

 

 

post #10419 of 11012
Hi all,
I'm in the market for a pair of oxford shoes in dark brown. My initial idea was the Meermin model 101198 with Hiro last ; I already own one pair of 101198 in black, but they are just a bit too snug in my toe area, so my question to you experts is if the 12153 model, with Olfe last, is wider in the toe than the 101198 with Hiro last.

Any other oxford model suggestion ?

Thanks,
Engi


Model 101198 with Hiro last




Model 12153 with Olfe last

post #10420 of 11012
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post
 

 

Yes, that was my experience precisely.  I bought mine in August 2012 and got those white lines every time I wore them.  After several applications of Saphir's cordovan creme, the white lines went away, so likely had something to do with dryness.  I used the colored cordovan creme due to finishing issues with my shoes.  Here is a picture of them today:

 

 

Very interesting you own shell from the early days of meermin. (Similar to that guy that posted his on AAAC.)

 

(I have a feeling that Meermin has cleaned up this issue as I have heard very few issues posted by folks with2013 shell pairs onwards)

 

It is good to know that some color cream and renovatur fixed all the issues they look like an great pair. (And as good as any Horween shell pair i have seen )

 

Thanks!!!

post #10421 of 11012
Looking good new shoes. Have you had any issues with water spots? My 2012 meermin shell appears susceptible to water spots not sure if you've experienced the same an how you treated it. Thanks
post #10422 of 11012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engi View Post

Hi all,
I'm in the market for a pair of oxford shoes in dark brown. My initial idea was the Meermin model 101198 with Hiro last ; I already own one pair of 101198 in black, but they are just a bit too snug in my toe area, so my question to you experts is if the 12153 model, with Olfe last, is wider in the toe than the 101198 with Hiro last.

Any other oxford model suggestion ?

Thanks,
Engi

I find that the Olfe has very slightly more room through the toes than the Hiro

post #10423 of 11012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

The in-stock inventory is really lacking for shell offerings. Anybody interested in doing a group MTO for some shells? That is, if they even offer it...

 

They do. I've been wanting to try go get a MTO going for some Hiro/Olfe lasted chukkas, preferably unlined, for a while, but there hasn't been much interest.

post #10424 of 11012

Shell chukka?  Hiro, Norwegian welt...I'm in and flexible on the colour.

post #10425 of 11012

Hi Guys

 

I'm a bit confused my Meermin's website. There seem to be very few styles and it seems like you're almost forced to buy MTO, for which I find the 100 euro MTO fee negates the value offering which makes me interested in the first place. 

 

Is this normal for the site?

 

I work at a digital agency where dress code is smart/casual - slacks, shirt, knit/jacket etc, so I'm after a nice pair of boots for the Aussie winter. The tan country calf looks nice but was hoping for something darker and surprised that's the only laced boot on offer.

 

It's possible Meermin is so in demand (judging by the amount of people who mention they're patiently waiting) that they have not RTW styles left?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meermin Mallorca Shoes