or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Thick as Thieves ONLINE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thick as Thieves ONLINE - Page 8

post #106 of 4208
OK, sounds good. I agree with you on the trouser legs - flared or bootcut looks bad (disco anyone?). I guess you would have to make the pants really narrow around the knee area if you wanted a decent looking straight leg - which would be far too uncomfortable for most. The taper isn't that big enough that it would look silly anyway.

I was actually thinking of getting notches on all lapels anyway, even if I get a one button.

When will the rest of the fabric swatches be posted?
post #107 of 4208
I think he only offers the one button in peaks.
post #108 of 4208
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
When will the rest of the fabric swatches be posted?

I'm trying to finalize some tweeds, so it's a matter of when that happens, maybe in about 2 weeks. The tweeds aren't intended for the one button suit, more fitting with possibly the 3 button but mostly intended for the ivy-sack (not yet avail, but in the near future).

Currently, the swatches online are what's available for the one/three button suit.
post #109 of 4208
Jason, I was pleasantly surprised by the evident amount of design that went into your fabric choices: besides the black (which I've already whined about ), you've obviously carefully selected your colours rather than just going with the usual suspects (eg: no navy!). I think I'm not the only one who'd love to hear more regarding your feelings about the fabrics, the thought process that went into choosing them, and how you envision them being worn? For example, just looking at the showroom photos, you've partnered with each very stylistically different shirts, ties, and shoes...
post #110 of 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
Jason, I was pleasantly surprised by the evident amount of design that went into your fabric choices: besides the black (which I've already whined about ), you've obviously carefully selected your colours rather than just going with the usual suspects (eg: no navy!). I think I'm not the only one who'd love to hear more regarding your feelings about the fabrics, the thought process that went into choosing them, and how you envision them being worn? For example, just looking at the showroom photos, you've partnered with each very stylistically different shirts, ties, and shoes...

+1 - we want info
post #111 of 4208
I'm curious about some of the paterned ones - it's tough to tell from the photos since they are not to scale the size of the pinstripes, checks and plaids (and windowpanes).

wool colors:
-black
-navy - not available yet?
-charcoal
-mid grey
-steel blue grey - ditto?
-large prince of wales check
-small prince of wales check
-olive green-ish glen plaid
-taupe glen plaid - is this the brown one?
-black pinstripe
-dark grey pinstripe
-mid grey pinstripe
-navy pinstripe
-navy windowpane - yum

a few flannels:
-black
-olive/grey
-shit brown
-dark teal
post #112 of 4208
Thread Starter 
Bandwagon...regarding your questions about colors:

-no navy. I'm not a big fan of navy blue suitings. Most navy's (regardless of its pedigree) just don't look good to me, maybe because of my prejudice towards those who wear it (corporate midlevel management types). I know there's been some discussion on MC about "midnight blue" and this is a color I've seen (as well as own, in a vintage jacket) that I'd *love* to offer if I can find the right fabric. But no luck yet.

-steel blue grey. Originally this was going to be an offering, but I reconsidered because it doesnt have the right sheen that I'd want this sort of color to have. It's not a bad color tho, and I might throw it into the mix again.

-I replaced the taupe glen plaid with the dark brown glen plaid. It's a richer color, but the taupe (which is what I'm wearing in a few pics) is available if you *really* want it.

-Navy windowpane...despite what I said above about navy, I like the base navy color of this quite a bit. It's got a slight greycast to it, and it's not so magenta-infused blue that most navy's are. Next time I update the swatches with the tweeds, I'll throw this back into the mix.

-the brown flannel I'm not too into. It'll probably get replaced by a brown-tone tweed eventually, preferably a salt/pepper type tweed in a brown colorway.
post #113 of 4208
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
I think I'm not the only one who'd love to hear more regarding your feelings about the fabrics, the thought process that went into choosing them, and how you envision them being worn? For example, just looking at the showroom photos, you've partnered with each very stylistically different shirts, ties, and shoes...

If I had chosen fabrics about 3+ years ago it would have looked more like what Duncan Quinn/Ozwald Boateng are doing with bright pink/blue pinstripes, loud prints/checks etc. I've owned suits like this and grew out of their ineffectiveness to look smart, yet serious, and their inability to be paired with interesting shirt/tie combos without looking too over the top (or you end up looking like Sanford from Sex in the City).

I'm more into neutral suit palettes now so that you can wear a bright shirt/tie with it and not have all the EQ levels cranked to 10.....or you can wear it more classically with white shirt/simple tie, which evokes more of a "60s cool" vibe, esp if you throw in a white hanky with a TV-fold showing just under .25" visible. I think the fabric choices here are versatile for different settings, and on their own have enough personality as well.
post #114 of 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
-Navy windowpane...despite what I said above about navy, I like the base navy color of this quite a bit. It's got a slight greycast to it, and it's not so magenta-infused blue that most navy's are. Next time I update the swatches with the tweeds, I'll throw this back into the mix.

That's a shame about the solid navy; however, I really like the navy-windowpane (with the grey undertone) that you've worn in a few pics. It's enough to make me look past the omission of a solid navy. It just looks kick ass.
post #115 of 4208
I'm really interested in the PoW check... though I wish your trousers were more to my taste so I could make a suit of it. Would be nice to have a more "traditional" trouser to go along with the two button if you ever make it.
post #116 of 4208
Wow, I just had to come out of lurk mode to say that this seems like a great opportunity for poor students like me that REALLY new to start building a serious, but also stylish wardrobe.

Thanks for this!
post #117 of 4208
$400 is still too much for a lot of students!
post #118 of 4208
Well, I didn't say that I wasn't going to be poor after buying one. I just won't be as poor!
post #119 of 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I'm more into neutral suit palettes now so that you can wear a bright shirt/tie with it and not have all the EQ levels cranked to 10.....or you can wear it more classically with white shirt/simple tie, which evokes more of a "60s cool" vibe, esp if you throw in a white hanky with a TV-fold showing just under .25" visible. I think the fabric choices here are versatile for different settings, and on their own have enough personality as well.
Yeah, you seen to have done an excellent job of walking the fine line. But me and skalogre want to know what each of those personalities is! I'm used to chosing fabric from one or more of these criteria: Can I wear it to work? Can I get a deal on it? Do I like how it looks in person? But none of those apply here, so I'm digging for guidance. I know nothing about mod style and little about clothes, but how about I tell you what comes to mind when I look at the swatches and you can tell me how wrong I am:
  • The black, charcoal, and grey worsteds are for your friends and guys from Streetwear who don't have many other suits and need something with maximum versatility. Or the minimalists.
  • The flannels are surprising for a line based out of LA, but I'm guessing they have historical accuracy? They're for the three-button, which is, you mentioned, intended to be coarser and more casual.
  • The olive worsteds provide the most overt retro look, like brown as discussed recently in MC.
  • The Prince of Wales is your personal favourite check.
  • The grey pinstripe is for your dream that someone will wear a TAT suit to work.
post #120 of 4208
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
[*]The black, charcoal, and grey worsteds are for your friends and guys from Streetwear who don't have many other suits and need something with maximum versatility. Or the minimalists. [*]The flannels are surprising for a line based out of LA, but I'm guessing they have historical accuracy? They're for the three-button, which is, you mentioned, intended to be coarser and more casual. [*]The olive worsteds provide the most overt retro look, like brown as discussed recently in MC. [*]The Prince of Wales is your personal favourite check. [*]The grey pinstripe is for your dream that someone will wear a TAT suit to work. [/list]
damn, that's pretty spot on. esp point #4 actually my friends liked the plaids, checks, and stripes the most. But point #1 is right there, maximum versatility and for those who like the 'coolness' of minimalism Re: #5...I think that my 3 button is totally appro for many workplaces....even the one button in a more creative environment. Considering the sartorial dumbing down of the workplace, I would think ANY kind of suit these days would be considered a step up from the bad "business casual" that's rampant for someone who "doesnt know much about mod or clothes" you've got my intents sorted out pretty well
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Thick as Thieves ONLINE