or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › help with upcoming trip to Paris?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

help with upcoming trip to Paris? - Page 2

post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedNBooted View Post

As far as restaurants go:
-Up the street, opposite Dior there is a trendy restaurant where celebrities from the Plaza often go, l'Avenue.

L'Avenue is the shit. Good chicken. The food is also great at the Pompagnac center.

I love Buddha Bar and Hotel Costes as well, for a bar loungey vibe. As touristy as they are, I love em.
post #17 of 40
nothing wrong with loving a tourist spot now and again.

It just dawned on me. One of the architectural treasures of the world.......Le Sainte Chapelle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Chapelle

I've seen a LOT of historic architecture and this is one of my top 5.

Skip Notre Dame, across the street and don't even think about trying to get to Versailles within a short trip. If you can manage to go when the light is strong so much the better.
post #18 of 40
go and get a Kouignette from Maison Georges Larnicol on Blvd St Germain. Best thing I've ever eaten.
post #19 of 40
i was in Paris last winter and everybody was wearing Moncler. i guess you can wear that if you want to blend in. i was wearing a cashmere overcoat that the locals seemed to appreciate. smile.gif
post #20 of 40
Hi, I'm a Parisian guy and I know many places matching your expectations... Unfortunately I have no time for details now. If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll give you more addresses than you need.

That RLBL jacket is fine, because 1) it's beautiful, 2) as an item coming from a global brand, they certainly sold it in Paris too...
post #21 of 40
Thread Starter 
this is great stuff, really appreciate all the input. I look forward to printing the responses and visiting the various recommended places- my flight from dubai is 30 december, so i still have some time to scheme the trip.
post #22 of 40
Dubai you say?

John Lobb, Dubai Mall, next to the Armani Hotel in the Burj Kalifa. Stop in the Armani for a drink or afternoon tea.

Camel races in the desert if you have time for some local color. Hopefully you can scout out one with robot jockies.

A million decent if uninspired restaurants.

That's about it.
post #23 of 40
Don't stay at the Plaza, it might very well be the corniest hotel in the world. Well I guess if you're coming from Dubai it'll be an easy transition....
post #24 of 40
Restaurants : Le relais de l'entrecote - Rue Marbeuf. If you like meat, this is something you have to try. Book in advance because it is always full
post #25 of 40
The Marais is touristy but for good reason. Very charming.

Champs-Elysees is a waste of time unless you're looking for Westons. See the Arc and be done with it.

Cokes often run 3 euro, so if you're thirsty, "une carafe d'eau, s'il vous plait" will save you some money.

The fountains in Place de la Concorde are beautiful and worth seeing, as is the obelisk from Luxor. Plus there's the revolutionary significance.

Read up on some of the more common scams. People will start trying to dun you as soon as you arrive.

However little time you have, spend some of it just sitting outside a bistro watching the people go by.

Drink some vin chaud for me.
post #26 of 40
Here's an earlier thread that has helped with my planning.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/210708/paris-recommendations
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by max b View Post

Restaurants : Le relais de l'entrecote - Rue Marbeuf. If you like meat, this is something you have to try. Book in advance because it is always full

Big disappointment - small(ish) portions in an interesting sauce. Saint Germain location but I imagine they're all like that. I recommend Chez Denise near Chatelet if you're a carnivore.

If you want something closer Aubrac is supposed to be good. Haven't been yet though. http://www.aubrac-corner.com/index-21,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0.htm
Edited by bapelolol - 12/5/11 at 12:21pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBer View Post

facepalm.gif That jacket screams you are American from a mile away. Please don't wear a baseball cap backwards with it (or sideways, that's even worse shog[1].gif).

This is such an outrageously silly and groundless criticism that I feel compelled to use the word "idiotic." It's a very nice RLBL jacket; it has nothing to do with Americana and it is the very opposite of the tourist phenomena you are talking about (fanny packs and general lack of style). Nobody who would buy/wear that jacket would ever have backwards ball-cap on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrenetique View Post

Hi, I'm a Parisian guy [...] That RLBL jacket is fine, because 1) it's beautiful, 2) as an item coming from a global brand, they certainly sold it in Paris too.

+1 and thank you
post #29 of 40
It's a nice jacket and certainly better looking than what most Parisians are wearing at this time of year. RL is much appreciated over here so you won't look out of place. Plus it appears to have plenty of secure zipped pockets which will keep the inevitable Metro pickpockets at bay (Les Champs-Elysées have become quite bad for petty crime, mostly aimed at tourists, in the past year. Yet another reason to avoid what the French still insist on calling "the most beautiful avenue in the world").

Rue Marbeuf is the most SF-approved shopping street in the area you've selected. Berluti, Canali, Corneliani, Zilli (only joking), Cifonelli RTW (and their bespoke operation along the street), John Lobb (on a sidestreet off Marbeuf), and a really good branch of Arthur and Fox (men's weekend / classics / Boglioli). There are a few decent brasseries and cafés on and around the street (the further you get from the Champs-Elysées the better for value and atmosphere). They're nothing special for foodies but if you want a beer and a steak frites between shopping and sightseeing they'll do the trick). You also get to hang out around some of the well-heeled Parisians who live and work in the neighbourhood. I like Café La Belle Férronnière, Rue Pierre Charron just opposite Lobb's. I stress, nothing that will trouble Michelin but very much where locals lunch during the week. There's a Maison de la Truffe nearby, which is expensive but fun if you like truffles.

More SF-inspired fun: Not far from Place de la Concorde is a Slowear (Incotex, Montedoro) boutique which is worth visiting.

Note that you're getting in on 30 December: Much of Paris (and indeed France) closes on 1 January so make allowances for that. Enjoy your trip!
post #30 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Don't stay at the Plaza, it might very well be the corniest hotel in the world. Well I guess if you're coming from Dubai it'll be an easy transition....

I'll be there with the girlfriend, so not staying at a slick modern hotel or anything cool this trip-- however, pretty sure the athenee hotel receives many good reviews from what i've seen/ seems to be well reviewed by everything from travel magazines to the esquire Black Book. Is it the decor you're referring to in making it "corny?"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › help with upcoming trip to Paris?