Universally known, Scotland, especially Hawick, makes the highest quality cashmere out there. However, 1) it is hard to get hold of them in the States and, 2) they make a wide range of cashmere products and I am unsure which one is high quality, which one is not. I do already own some from RLPL, but I do not consider them high quality, especially at the premium they charge. Ben Silver sells some but not my size (they carry everything from M up, but not S), and I do not know about their quality, though they do seem nice and the price of $500 a pop seems right. I have looked at several British companies like John Laing and Alan Paine, but faced the same problem of difficulty to get hold of.
- I am looking for low profile cableknit, not fisherman
Update (on what I have learned so far):
- Loro Piana and other Italian designers seem to have really nice pieces but obscenely expensive (at retail). Mark-ups are too high.
- Ben Silver has them, but not my size (S). They are made by William Lockie.
- A Suitable Wardrobe has crew neck made by John Laing, in my size, though color choice is too limited.
- Paul Stuart maybe a solution here, though I still need to figure out who makes them.
- Sierra Trading Post has some Johnston of Elgin at $425, which will go down to $300 using a 30% coupon. Pretty nice deal.
Edited by onix - 12/5/11 at 1:40pm