or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Septieme Largeur - Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Septieme Largeur - Discussion Thread - Page 9

post #121 of 219
I would go up half a size on the 199 last. But that´s my feet. That would likely give relief for the tightness on the side in the toe area.
Hopefully I can find a local cobbler that can stretch them like Fritzl recommended (thank you).
post #122 of 219
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post


French trans ex Google from the Depiedencap  deconstruction:

 



In summary, we have to do to a shoe, built to current industry practices, with as good:  a first mounting full-grain leather,  leather ends sub (not salpa),  a good quality of leather used for the upper and the lining,  cutting work, and trimming of the tapping rod in good order. However, there is no finishing work like roulette (with slipcase or welts).



Finally, it should be remembered that the shoe has not been dismantled drawn at random from the stock offered to customers, and the default voltage of sewing dots is still distressing.




I am pretty concerned about the roulettes, and the default voltage of the dots upsets me.plain.gif

thx for this thread Gdot, I love the look of some of the finishes!  How have u found the durability of the shoes, and especially of the finish?

When I fist read about SL I wondered whether the finishes would last ...

The voltage in the dots has not been a serious problem for me. I find that the electrical charges lifts my mood (sorta like ECT for the feet). crackup[1].gif Google translate can come up with some whoppers - especially when translating something with technical terms in it!

They are holding up just fine so far. The finish has done quite well. The soles are wearing like cast iron. Only complaint is the uppers are a little stiff and the creasing a little more than I would like. Here's a picture after about 15 wearings. Before putting back in the closet after this wearing I took the plunge and gave them two mink oil treatments to see if that would soften them up. Time will tell but they certainly soaked it up like crazy.

666

Remember the price point on these babies is quite low - these are disposable fashion shoes - they are not in any way comparable to the Vass you are accustomed to.
post #123 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I would go up half a size on the 199 last. But that´s my feet. That would likely give relief for the tightness on the side in the toe area.
Hopefully I can find a local cobbler that can stretch them like Fritzl recommended (thank you).

i dunno, where you live. it's an easy operation so you should be successful. good luck.
post #124 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post






French trans ex Google from the Depiedencap  deconstruction:

 



In summary, we have to do to a shoe, built to current industry practices, with as good:  a first mounting full-grain leather,  leather ends sub (not salpa),  a good quality of leather used for the upper and the lining,  cutting work, and trimming of the tapping rod in good order. However, there is no finishing work like roulette (with slipcase or welts).



Finally, it should be remembered that the shoe has not been dismantled drawn at random from the stock offered to customers, and the default voltage of sewing dots is still distressing.




I am pretty concerned about the roulettes, and the default voltage of the dots upsets me.plain.gif

thx for this thread Gdot, I love the look of some of the finishes!  How have u found the durability of the shoes, and especially of the finish?

When I fist read about SL I wondered whether the finishes would last ...

If I may help with the translation of the bolded parts : they regret the lack of finishing on the welt and heel . Roulette is the name of the tool that is used to make the finishing, I don't know the english word for it (see: http://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/305546863.htm )

And regarding the "voltage", they point out the fact that the thread sewing the welt to the sole is not tensed enough.

I hope I was clear shog[1].gif
post #125 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romain View Post

If I may help with the translation of the bolded parts : Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
they regret the lack of finishing on the welt and heel . Roulette is the name of the tool that is used to make the finishing, I don't know the english word for it (see: http://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/305546863.htm )
And regarding the "voltage", they point out the fact that the thread sewing the welt to the sole is not tensed enough.
I hope I was clear

totally. many thanks
post #126 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen View Post

I would go up half a size on the 199 last. But that´s my feet. That would likely give relief for the tightness on the side in the toe area.
Hopefully I can find a local cobbler that can stretch them like Fritzl recommended (thank you).
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

i dunno, where you live. it's an easy operation so you should be successful. good luck.

Yes this is good advice. I have been experimenting (too much) with my shoes, but now I have found a good cobbler I hope.
post #127 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

totally. many thanks

You're welcome
post #128 of 219

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romain View Post


If I may help with the translation of the bolded parts : they regret the lack of finishing on the welt and heel . Roulette is the name of the tool that is used to make the finishing, I don't know the english word for it (see: http://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/305546863.htm )
And regarding the "voltage", they point out the fact that the thread sewing the welt to the sole is not tensed enough.
I hope I was clear shog[1].gif

 

Why thx ! U could knock me down with a feather-    roulette is real?  come to think it's some kind of little wheely thing rite?

 

 

post #129 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post



Why thx ! U could knock me down with a feather-    roulette is real?  come to think it's some kind of little wheely thing rite?


Roulette means little wheel in French. It's a little wheel that leaves a striped track on the welt. Hiding the sewing.
post #130 of 219

I just got my SL's in the mail yesterday. I first heard about this company 6 months ago while reading the theshoesnob blog. I was impressed by the selection on their website. I was also impressed with some of the features that one would acquire at the price point they are selling their shoes, i.e., Goodyear Welting, Beveled waist, Fiddleback....

It seemed too good to be true. Well, I was wrong. SL is the real deal! No, they are not G&G or Edward Greens or St. Crispins but they ARE the top notch shoe for this price point. Hell, there are some shoes that cost a few hundred more than SL's that are not constructed as well as these. I'll be posting some pictures of them in the upcoming days.

post #131 of 219

Ok. Here is the photo of my SL's as promised. I am very pleased with the quality for the price that i paid. This particular style is called "Eugene". I am a pretty narrow fit so I purchased them in the traditional 199 last.

 

700

post #132 of 219

Nice shoe, congratulations to a good deal.

post #133 of 219
So. Could anybody possibly compare SL to Grenson in terms of construction quality and longevity? They are about the same price and I have almost only experience with Grenson.
Thanks a lot.
post #134 of 219

You could possibly compare them in terms of quality however, I would not compare them stylewise. The thing that makes SL such an attractive brand is that they give a tremendous amount of style for the money. I'm quite sure that you will be able to find quite a few shoe companies that will have shoes in the $300-$400 range but I think, IMO, you will be hard press to find a company that has shoes that have the type of "lines" that SL shoes have.
 

post #135 of 219

I have ordered a pair of Balmoral last 174 wagtail/velvet brown and it is expected to be in front of my door next Monday. I'll try and give some experience in my narrow scope.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Septieme Largeur - Discussion Thread