or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring? - Page 12

post #166 of 204

$900 at my local AAFES (Army/Air Force Exchange Service in 1994) Got a .9 caret diamond that she still wears. Back than I worked in a liquor store with her and was in the AF National Guard. Now that I can afford to get her the big diamond she laughs at me and said she likes hers just fine and would rather retire a few years early than waste money on jewelry. I love my wife, and this is why we have been happily married for 18 years because both of us are frugal.
 

post #167 of 204
A diamond that is a few 'years' of retirement income?
post #168 of 204
I spent about a million, but only because my wife doesn't care about material things.
post #169 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

A diamond that is a few 'years' of retirement income?


Did you see the guy talking about his 200K engagement ring? Also the 25K Tiffany engagement ring. I don't know about you but I know what I put in to a 401K every year and it is less than a Tiffany engagement ring. So yeah, spending 25K now on a ring would set me back 2 years of retirement. The most amazing thing ever created was compound interest. $25K compounded over the next 20 years at 8% return would be over $116K which if inflation isn't too bad and my house is paid off would last me two years...

 

"I was told there would be no math!!!"

post #170 of 204
How much would a ring with 3 5ct diamonds cost?
post #171 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by riotior View Post

How much would a ring with 3 5ct diamonds cost?

you're kidding right? multiple hundreds of thousands...
post #172 of 204
How about a pink diamond? Has anyone done that?
post #173 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeluv View Post


Did you see the guy talking about his 200K engagement ring? Also the 25K Tiffany engagement ring. I don't know about you but I know what I put in to a 401K every year and it is less than a Tiffany engagement ring. So yeah, spending 25K now on a ring would set me back 2 years of retirement. The most amazing thing ever created was compound interest. $25K compounded over the next 20 years at 8% return would be over $116K which if inflation isn't too bad and my house is paid off would last me two years...

"I was told there would be no math!!!"

You don't need to bark at me.

It struck me as being a strange way to phrase it, as there are obviously many different scenarios that fit on both ends of the spectrum. Likely, the guy paying 200k for the ring is not pushing back his retirement to buy it, if it is truly 'no big deal' as he suggested.
post #174 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post


You don't need to bark at me.

It struck me as being a strange way to phrase it, as there are obviously many different scenarios that fit on both ends of the spectrum. Likely, the guy paying 200k for the ring is not pushing back his retirement to buy it, if it is truly 'no big deal' as he suggested.


I apologize, that didn't come out like I wanted. I was just trying to make a joke out of it. I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

post #175 of 204
No worries. What really matters is; happy wife, happy life.
post #176 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

No worries. What really matters is; happy wife, happy life.


Very true... Took me ~10 years of marriage to get that down. Now that I have life is great.

post #177 of 204
cheers.gif
post #178 of 204
I forgot the lulz this thread brings. Well done gents, mrmax and riotier in particular.
post #179 of 204
6k as of a few days ago . . . wish me luck, gents!
post #180 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by minervau View Post

6k as of a few days ago . . . wish me luck, gents!

 

Woo! Wish you the best for a happy wedding!

 

thumbs-up.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?