or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring? - Page 9

post #121 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

Yeah... but no offense, 50% of that was for the word "Tiffany". For that money you could have gotten something larger and/or much more unique. Ask Stitchy.

The pleasure a woman gets when she says that she got an engagement ring from Tiffany's may be worth the price to individuals. It's like fulfilling their princess dream.

Men think of utility and value. That stuff really isn't worth nearly as much to women.
post #122 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post

Men think of utility and value. That stuff really isn't worth nearly as much to women.

Agreed. Also, I can sell my ring for what I bought it for. And I shopped at the wholesale, jeweler's row places and my ring would've cost the same. Colorless, GIA, round, VS, as you get over a carat prices increase exponentially. So I would be surprised if In stitches could replicate the setting/ring and diamond for 9k.
post #123 of 204

After >30 years, we agree that the ring cost $100. We just cannot agree on whether I paid for it, or she bought it herself.

 

By the way. Did no one wonder why the guy who paid cash did that? Was this a stolen ring? Or paid for with stolen cash? Wouldn't a conventional credit card/cashiers check transaction have been safer?

post #124 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post


The pleasure a woman gets when she says that she got an engagement ring from Tiffany's may be worth the price to individuals. It's like fulfilling their princess dream.
Men think of utility and value. That stuff really isn't worth nearly as much to women.

 

I don't think it's good to feed the feeble-minded by encouraging their behavior.

post #125 of 204
Try Blue Nile for online purchases of Eng. rings. They are the largest online retailer because of price and service. Great values.
post #126 of 204
$12,000 at DeBeers, and went back for wedding bands.

Say what you want about brands, but brand value significantly increases resale value (god forbid!) On a jewelers row type ring I would expect to resell at wholesale or below wholesale.

Tiffany did not really impress me in anything under about $20k, I felt like they often chose diamond qualities that were a little less than desired for the pricing. Cartier and DeBeers offered a bit more quality, though they are still charging a premium.

They also do things like rolled bands, which are a quality level above what most jewelers can provide.

The box and presentation were superb. Something that is important to me and also something most jewelers can't provide.
post #127 of 204
$17k for 1.7 carat, GIA cert. E, VVS.

Quality over quantity.
post #128 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coors Light View Post

$17k for 1.7 carat, GIA cert. E, VVS.
Quality over quantity.

Because 1.8c would have been too much...
post #129 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post

The pleasure a woman gets when she says that she got an engagement ring from Tiffany's may be worth the price to individuals. It's like fulfilling their princess dream.
Men think of utility and value. That stuff really isn't worth nearly as much to women.

and it's the same reason women will pay $150 for a pair of Uggs made in China for $3, or some plasticky, crappy bag from Gucci (also I have begun to suspect MIC) for $2K that is worth a quarter of that or Kate Spade, Pandora, Michael Kors, Paige or SFAM denim.. the list goes on and on and on. I would just be disappointed to feel the pressure to succumb to what is essentially marketing. that's why you're exactly right when you say it's a dream... a real princess is not legitimated by a little blue box....
post #130 of 204
^^^ That is guy talk. It may be logical but try and use logic to figure out females. Good luck smile.gif
post #131 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

and it's the same reason women will pay $150 for a pair of Uggs made in China for $3, or some plasticky, crappy bag from Gucci (also I have begun to suspect MIC) for $2K that is worth a quarter of that or Kate Spade, Pandora, Michael Kors, Paige or SFAM denim.. the list goes on and on and on. I would just be disappointed to feel the pressure to succumb to what is essentially marketing. that's why you're exactly right when you say it's a dream... a real princess is not legitimated by a little blue box....


Disagree. Sure some buy simply on name but many buy for the emotional connection to Tiffany's, the history, the movies... Family tradition. An engagement ring is one of the most cherished possessions of any woman. Spending for those emotions means more than the quality of the stone.

To associate that Tiffany's, who do their own cutting and grading and maintain an aura of service is the same as sweatshop labor is a real stretch.
post #132 of 204
Nickles, Most things that you buy are marketed to you, all of a sudden you are worried about it? I don't see any of this whining in the shoe pron thread, but something special for your love and you want to save a buck.

I dn't expect to buy a pair of lobbs at the cost of a calf hide anymore than I expect to buy a name brand ring at the cost of materials.
post #133 of 204
Cary and Skinny ... that's not quite what I meant and I'll admit the analogy is not entirely cogent, but I suspect that throughout their history Tiffany's has procured diamonds for years and sat on them just like DeBeers and more recently Alrosa and Firestone... and I think we all know the labor employed to attain them could be analogized sufficiently to my examples.
Really all I'm saying is that I don't think Tiffany adds THAT much inherent value aside from the marketing whereas from the materials and craftsmanship I would say that Lobbs are closer to being worth the price whereas a $650 pair of Guccis is a joke.
and no I'm not cheap. I have a ring I dropped about $7.5K... I don't have all the stats and shit off the top of my head but it's something like a round brilliant G, VS1 something something... central rock is like 1.07 w/ about 46 points around it and that's not including the band. and yes I have bought things at Tiffany's... just not diamonds. that's all. NO stirpot.gif
post #134 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

^^^ That is guy talk. It may be logical but try and use logic to figure out females. Good luck smile.gif

Exactly. They are not logical creatures like we are.

I guarantee you that if you got something from Tiffany's versus Bluenile for most girls, the reaction, whether justified or not, will be a world of difference.
post #135 of 204
1500, got a custom designed artisnal ring from todd pownell.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?