or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help Me Pick Out a <6k Dress Watch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help Me Pick Out a <6k Dress Watch

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
This would be easy for me if money were no object; Patek Phillipe. But alas, it is, and I could use some advice. Short of the ideal, these are my criteria:

1. <$6k.
2. Few complications beyond a second-hand and perhaps date.
3. Roman numerals on the face (partially or fully).
4. Round face.
5. Pink gold case.
6. Black crocodile strap.

OK, that's pretty specific, so if I have to vary a little to get close to this package, I'm game.
Edited by J. Cogburn - 11/26/11 at 7:18am
post #2 of 47
sorry, do you mean more than $6k, or less than? You've posted >$6k, which would mean greater than, but your tone implies less
post #3 of 47
Thread Starter 
Fixed. You're right. Other edits also tendered to sharpen the criteria.
post #4 of 47
admittedly i haven't found the perfect one in a few minutes of googling (mostly looking at ebay) i think you would do tremendously well with a vintage omega deville or speedmaster; they look wonderful on croc straps, and their pink gold was exquisite. hope this helps a bit.
post #5 of 47

Seems like your criteria are rather narrow.  Roman numerals?  Really?  Pink gold --this stuff has been a big fad for the last five years.  I know that there are some classic pink gold pieces but most of it lately seems like gimmickry.  I'm not sure you can get all of this in one production piece.  I believe there's probably a Rolex that meets most of your criteria but the price would probably go north of 6k.  Maybe something by IWC. Keep in mind that you can buy a lot of watch for half of the budget you describe.  It probably wouldn't be pink gold, however.

post #6 of 47
Checked prices at prestige time.com. The cheapest gold JLC is now over 10k ? I gifted someone a VC Patrimony Traditionelle some time back and it was around 15k. Now it's over 20k.

Anyways, the watch I thought I would suggest were the basic Breguet manual wind or the JLC ultra thin. Both are now north of 10k
post #7 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdannyboy View Post

admittedly i haven't found the perfect one in a few minutes of googling (mostly looking at ebay) i think you would do tremendously well with a vintage omega deville or speedmaster; they look wonderful on croc straps, and their pink gold was exquisite. hope this helps a bit.

Not wild about the Omega's for the office. Nice watches though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsolo View Post

Seems like your criteria are rather narrow.  Roman numerals?  Really?  Pink gold --this stuff has been a big fad for the last five years.  I know that there are some classic pink gold pieces but most of it lately seems like gimmickry.  I'm not sure you can get all of this in one production piece.  I believe there's probably a Rolex that meets most of your criteria but the price would probably go north of 6k.  Maybe something by IWC. Keep in mind that you can buy a lot of watch for half of the budget you describe.  It probably wouldn't be pink gold, however.

Yeah, it's a wish list, but I'm willing to be flexible. I'll trade yellow gold for the pink gold. I'll punt on the crocodile band as long as I switch out the band I'm stuck with. And I'm sure not wed to $6k. If I can get that watch for less, then it's all good.

Now, God-help-me for offering this thought given how I gather Baume & Mercier are felt about around here, but I quite like this watch from an aesthetic point of view
post #8 of 47
post #9 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post

Checked prices at prestige time.com. The cheapest gold JLC is now over 10k ? I gifted someone a VC Patrimony Traditionelle some time back and it was around 15k. Now it's over 20k.
Anyways, the watch I thought I would suggest were the basic Breguet manual wind or the JLC ultra thin. Both are now north of 10k

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "gold-plated" is the only way I can swing this.
post #10 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post

What do you think of this ?
http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Omega/Co-Axial-Small-Seconds/4614.30.02.html

Pretty nice. Shouldn't have dismissed Omega's so quickly; I am only familiar with the Speedmaster and the rest of their tech line. A bit too expensive for me though.
post #11 of 47
Thread Starter 
Of course, if I want to go quartz, I can always save a lot of money and go with Ole Mathiesen. Note the watch with the black croc band and roman numerals.
post #12 of 47
I would go for an Omega as well, great quality and brand. Go for a Seamaster or de Ville
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostron View Post

I would go for an Omega as well, great quality and brand. Go for a Seamaster or de Ville


Yes. I wear an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45.5 daily (it also fulfills my Bond obsession),and I would love to purchase a Speedmaster Professional or De Ville as a dress watch.

 

I currently have a vintage 67' De Ville that I love, I need to get a new strap for it however.

post #14 of 47
You can buy a croc strap anywhere, for any watch. I wouldn't factor that in to a search. I also think you are looking for Rose Gold. May have better luck looking for that search term. Keep in mind those are almost always plated and will damage over time. I suggest either a solid SS, or a very strong plating that will last.

Check out a watch forum (watchuseek). Will give you a lot more suggestions and it will be from "watch people". They work great with a search like you are doing by listing the features you want or don't want.
post #15 of 47
Consider a Grand Seiko. They don't match all your criteria, but for the $$ paid, these are really worth it.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/c=zpuzEo9FKZ1IDzXUWJWA2Xu0o/category/1_grand_seiko/

I particularly like these two:

http://i.imgur.com/5q6HRl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yZWuIl.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help Me Pick Out a <6k Dress Watch