or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › My New Portable Audio System (Headphone Based)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My New Portable Audio System (Headphone Based) - Page 2

post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xericx View Post

pretty nice. just wait until some old grandma on a plane thinks its a bomb and you end up in Guantanamo bay though!

laugh.gif

I'm disappointed that there is no styrofoam anywhere...
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post

You use Grados on transportation? I love my HF-2s but it's so open both ways. You can hear everything outside and everyone else can hear your music.

Uhh I want HF-2s so bad...if you ever sell yours or know anyone that is selling, I will buy them up in a heartbeat biggrin.gif
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post

laugh.gif
I'm disappointed that there is no styrofoam anywhere...

That's why my portable setup sounds so good! (iPhone 4 or iPad 1 straight into Apple IEMs and Comply tips.)

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/Whoomp-Foam-Tips/

--Andre
post #19 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post

laugh.gif
I'm disappointed that there is no styrofoam anywhere...

That's why my portable setup sounds so good! (iPhone 4 or iPad 1 straight into Apple IEMs and Comply tips.)

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/Whoomp-Foam-Tips/

--Andre

Yikes Andre, the Apple IEMs suck. I would have expected a better choice from you. The iPhone sucks too unless you are running EQu.
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post

Yikes Andre, the Apple IEMs suck. I would have expected a better choice from you. The iPhone sucks too unless you are running EQu.

They don't if you have properly fitting ear tips. The stock tips are no good, and make the IEMs sound tinny and like they have no bass, hence the Complys. With the Complys, I prefer them to my Ety 4s.

The iPhone sounds pretty good actually, and I'm not sure what running an EQ will do for it, unless you're trying to compensate for listening through Grados. devil.gif
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post

The iPhone sounds pretty good actually, and I'm not sure what running an EQ will do for it, unless you're trying to compensate for listening through Grados. devil.gif

Andre: take a look at this http://www.head-fi.org/t/526662/improve-ipod-sound-quality-equ
post #22 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post

Yikes Andre, the Apple IEMs suck. I would have expected a better choice from you. The iPhone sucks too unless you are running EQu.

They don't if you have properly fitting ear tips. The stock tips are no good, and make the IEMs sound tinny and like they have no bass, hence the Complys. With the Complys, I prefer them to my Ety 4s.

The iPhone sounds pretty good actually, and I'm not sure what running an EQ will do for it, unless you're trying to compensate for listening through Grados. devil.gif

Nah, even with the best comply tips, they still suck. I have a pair.
post #23 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedforsuccess View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post

The iPhone sounds pretty good actually, and I'm not sure what running an EQ will do for it, unless you're trying to compensate for listening through Grados. devil.gif

Andre: take a look at this http://www.head-fi.org/t/526662/improve-ipod-sound-quality-equ

The reason I suggested this is because a good friend is an Apple audio designer and this is what they all do. Secondly, there is significant "midrange suckout" on the iPhone so EQ is needed to get to flat FR.
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedforsuccess View Post

Andre: take a look at this http://www.head-fi.org/t/526662/improve-ipod-sound-quality-equ

Thanks. I've read that, and it's good for EQing recordings and headphones (especially if they put a sine wave sweep in there), but correcting for the quality of the iPhone? Some of the comments imply that there is some sort of euphonic effect going on with compression. Maybe that's why some people like its sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post

Nah, even with the best comply tips, they still suck. I have a pair.

What can I say? We will agree to disagree. The Apple IEMs are totally underrated and a hidden gem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post

The reason I suggested this is because a good friend is an Apple audio designer and this is what they all do. Secondly, there is significant "midrange suckout" on the iPhone so EQ is needed to get to flat FR.

From http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-review-490p7.php:

gsmarena_001.png

Where is the suckout?
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedforsuccess View Post

Uhh I want HF-2s so bad...if you ever sell yours or know anyone that is selling, I will buy them up in a heartbeat biggrin.gif

Haha I doubt I will but if I see a pair FS I'll let you know. I have the HF-1 and HF-2 in matching serials so they hold some sentimental value.
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post

Haha I doubt I will but if I see a pair FS I'll let you know. I have the HF-1 and HF-2 in matching serials so they hold some sentimental value.

Damn you...uhh even more jealous. I love grados noise (got SR225i right now) but I've always thought the HF-2s were some of the best looking headphones I've ever seen. I think getting a pair would cure my upgraditis satisfied.gif
post #27 of 41
Andre, I've heard that sometimes you can get sound distortion from the phone part of the iphones (I guess when you're on a call, streaming data or whatever). Have you experienced any of this?
post #28 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedforsuccess View Post

Andre: take a look at this http://www.head-fi.org/t/526662/improve-ipod-sound-quality-equ
Where is the suckout?

I'm not sure how they conducted that test as I could not find it from the link...but using my own recordings the suckout is quite noticeable. I have had several apple designers admit this. Adding in a hump on EQu makes nice improvement and brings my classical recordings back to where they sound like the live event did. The Classic, and even more my other iPod the 5G, sound far better.

Do you know how they conducted that test?
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedforsuccess View Post

Andre, I've heard that sometimes you can get sound distortion from the phone part of the iphones (I guess when you're on a call, streaming data or whatever). Have you experienced any of this?

Do you mean the interference that GSM phones occasionally put into nearby electronics? Other than that I haven't really experienced distortion from the phone. I've had some bad luck with the AT&T network messing up calls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post

I'm not sure how they conducted that test as I could not find it from the link...but using my own recordings the suckout is quite noticeable. I have had several apple designers admit this. Adding in a hump on EQu makes nice improvement and brings my classical recordings back to where they sound like the live event did. The Classic, and even more my other iPod the 5G, sound far better.
Do you know how they conducted that test?

Here is their test methodology:

http://www.gsmarena.com/latest_features-review-171p2.php

At first I thought that perhaps your suckout could be due to the increased loading of driving a pair of headphones directly but I see from that page that they also test into a 32 Ohm AKG headphone as well as the 20 kOhm line-level input of the M-Audio.

What is the frequency, magnitude and width of the suckout, and how was that measured? If it really exists, that would reflect utterly incompetent design, as even the cheapest DACs don't have anything nearly that bad. They have other bad things, but frequency response errors in the middle is not one of them.

The other thing you should note is that EQu has had a few bugs. For example, in that Head-Fi thread, the curves sometimes don't reflect the actual EQ value (the curves are half as much as the EQ), which makes me wonder what other bugs are in their software. For example, is flat in EQu truly flat?
post #30 of 41
Thread Starter 
Andre,

I'm using my ears because in my experience measurements do not do an adequate job capturing sound differences. But in any event, M-Audio or RMAA are not really the last word in test equipment so my doubts remain how flat the iPhone really is.

If you go to Head-Fi, a large number of people do not find the sound quality to be very good at all. I find this opinion valid based on my own experimenting with various sources from iPods to hirez files>dacs>amps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › My New Portable Audio System (Headphone Based)