or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 62

post #916 of 3164

Are there any unique rules which apply to a white evening jacket? 

post #917 of 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimebuck4 View Post

Are there any unique rules which apply to a white evening jacket? 

1. Don't get bleach white, get ivory or cream.

2. Technically they should only be worn in tropical climates, but at least they should be restricted to warm weather.
- 2a. Ergo, vests/waistcoats are not appropriate, only cummerbunds.

3. White DJs are considered less formal than black, which is why the shawl lapel is common.
- 3a. Ergo, turn down collars only, no wing collars.
post #918 of 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmax View Post


What is he holding in his arm? An overcoat? It seems to have twin satin stripes.

post #919 of 3164

It seems to me that he is sitting and that's his leg actually.

post #920 of 3164

That would make sense, but that's an awfully loose leg—which was en vogue at the time. But the double stripes is interesting.

post #921 of 3164
I think the fact that men's magazines have had quite a few sections devoted to Black Tie the last couple of years combijed with the spate of Bond movies recently is starting to make it more acceptable. Dinner jackets are ever increasingly to be found on billboards and bus stop advert, which is leading more men to enquiring about them and even wearing them. Perhaps also the latest Bond incarnation is lending some toughness and roughness to the tuxedo, diminishing the erroneous perception that they are strictly for poncy, feminine dandies?
post #922 of 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post


2. Technically they should only be worn in tropical climates, but at least they should be restricted to warm weather.
- 2a. Ergo, vests/waistcoats are not appropriate, only cummerbunds.

Dr. Jones might disagree with you...


post #923 of 3164
Back in the 30s, when the film took place, I feel as though men were just so much more accustomed to three-piece suits in general and therefore vests would always make an appearance.
post #924 of 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post


Dr. Jones might disagree with you...


 

If it's on the silver screen, it must be true. =:-/

 

Hollywood would never mislead anyone or co-market someone's merchandise or ideas. right?

 

One day maybe more than a handful will realize that entertainment is a poor source of truth. Most especially entertainment by forms of art, which by definition is a political statement or expression of the world view of the artist who is seeking for the artistic expression of their statement, the approval of an audience, even if it is an audience of one.

post #925 of 3164

Thank you for your responses. My client is getting the white dinner jacket for a summer wedding. He also wants a "fun" jacket to wear after the ceremony when he is dancing at the wedding. I think it is a cool idea, but what the f**k is he looking for? anyone have an idea that wouldn't look completely ridiculous? thanks...

post #926 of 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimebuck4 View Post

Thank you for your responses. My client is getting the white dinner jacket for a summer wedding. He also wants a "fun" jacket to wear after the ceremony when he is dancing at the wedding. I think it is a cool idea, but what the f**k is he looking for? anyone have an idea that wouldn't look completely ridiculous? thanks...

 

Ugh, like...this kind of...fun?

 

 

post #927 of 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

Dr. Jones might disagree with you...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Yes, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, that famous 1980s film revered for its unparalleled historically accurate depiction of the 1930s.
post #928 of 3164
I would rather trust these:

post #929 of 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Yes, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, that famous 1980s film revered for its unparalleled historically accurate depiction of the 1930s.

History-Schmistory.....I think Harrison Ford looks very slick in that look.
post #930 of 3164
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil10 View Post

 

Ugh, like...this kind of...fun?

 

 

 

Bingo! Thats exactly what he wants...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations