or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 61

post #901 of 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

OK proportions on the bow tie, but now I have to say that the lapels are a bit big for his torso.


Where is Cary Grant when you need him?

Seriously. Why don't these guys' personal assistants just stuff this picture in their faces and say, "Emulate this!"?

post #902 of 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmax View Post


Seriously. Why don't these guys' personal assistants just stuff this picture in their faces and say, "Emulate this!"?

 

Because while stylish, almost nothing in the above outfit is fashionable at the moment. deadhorse-a.gif

post #903 of 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by recondite View Post

Because while stylish, almost nothing in the above outfit is fashionable at the moment. deadhorse-a.gif

Yup. I also find that women don't understand classic menswear like the proportions of a suit. (Yet some of these are the same women who say, "why can't men dress like real men anymore, like Cary Grant or Fred Astaire?") e.g., slightly dramatized discussion from my life: "I hate pleated pants, you should never wear pleated pants" ... "well, if they're part of the suit, and I'm never going to wear them without the jacket, so shouldn't it only matter how they look with the jacket?" ... "no, pleated pants are out of style you should never wear them" ... "but if I wear flat front pants, they inevitably fall down to my hips and it makes it look I am busting a sag" ... "but you don't want high waisted pants because you'll look like an old man" ... "since it's a tux, I'll have a vest or cummerbund on so no one will see the waist" ... "oh come on vests and cummerbunds are out of style!" etc. etc. etc.
post #904 of 3327
Ovaries do not confer a heightened sense of style.
post #905 of 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Ovaries do not confer a heightened sense of style.

 

+1.  It just about blew my ex-girlfriend's mind when I explained that my classic black tie, including not matching anything about my black tie to her dress, was a good thing, i.e.that I was the frame to her artwork.

post #906 of 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post



Are those penny loafers in the first shot?

A loafer yes but more refined than a penny one. Just the thing for black tie.
Edited by culverwood - 1/17/13 at 5:00am
post #907 of 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Ovaries do not confer a heightened sense of style.

lol8[1].gif
post #908 of 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Yup. I also find that women don't understand classic menswear like the proportions of a suit. (Yet some of these are the same women who say, "why can't men dress like real men anymore, like Cary Grant or Fred Astaire?") e.g., slightly dramatized discussion from my life: "I hate pleated pants, you should never wear pleated pants" ... "well, if they're part of the suit, and I'm never going to wear them without the jacket, so shouldn't it only matter how they look with the jacket?" ... "no, pleated pants are out of style you should never wear them" ... "but if I wear flat front pants, they inevitably fall down to my hips and it makes it look I am busting a sag" ... "but you don't want high waisted pants because you'll look like an old man" ... "since it's a tux, I'll have a vest or cummerbund on so no one will see the waist" ... "oh come on vests and cummerbunds are out of style!" etc. etc. etc.

You get a lot of points for trying to explain each of these points. You get a lot of bonus points if you actually used the phrase "bust a sag".

However, FWIW, I wear flats with my tux and they sit just above my hip. Really doesn't matter much if you wear a cummerbund, IMO, and for someone like me (disproportionately legs) a cummerbund above a high-waisted trouser would look silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culverwood View Post

A loafer yes but more refined than a penny one. Just the thing for black tie.

Well, not a penny as we think of it, but if you look closely at the the more visible of the two shoes you can clearly see a band across it with a cutout, much like a penny loafer...

His jacket would also appear to be a size too big, hence the shoulder pads sticking off the end of his shoulders.
post #909 of 3327
Men don't let women tell them how to dress. That's what we're all here for. Getting guy advice from guys.
post #910 of 3327
Point being that most of the Hollywood stylists dressing these men for award shows are women, blissfully ignorant of classic men's fashion even though they might agree that Cary Grant et al. were very well dressed.
post #911 of 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil10 View Post

+1.  It just about blew my ex-girlfriend's mind when I explained that my classic black tie, including not matching anything about my black tie to her dress, was a good thing, i.e.that I was the frame to her artwork.

So few women realize this.
post #912 of 3327
I think they like it in practice but alot of people, not just women, have trouble visualizing something. It's also been my experience that you don't ask for advice or confirmation on how you are dressing if you dont want the opinion, it opens the door for unsolicited opinions from that point on.
post #913 of 3327
The fundamental problem is that black tie is no longer part of mainstream dressing. It's now a costume one wears for one-off events, disconnected from the rest of the typical man's wardrobe. If he doesn't wear tailored clothing on a regular basis, how can he be expected to wear black tie correctly? These guys recognize that they need help, but they turn to the wrong advisors. I suspect that if some gregarious megastar were to develop an interest in bespoke and do a bit of evangelizing, the results would be much better.
post #914 of 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil10 View Post

+1.  It just about blew my ex-girlfriend's mind when I explained that my classic black tie, including not matching anything about my black tie to her dress, was a good thing, i.e.that I was the frame to her artwork.

great metaphor!
post #915 of 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

The fundamental problem is that black tie is no longer part of mainstream dressing. It's now a costume one wears for one-off events, disconnected from the rest of the typical man's wardrobe. If he doesn't wear tailored clothing on a regular basis, how can he be expected to wear black tie correctly? These guys recognize that they need help, but they turn to the wrong advisors. I suspect that if some gregarious megastar were to develop an interest in bespoke and do a bit of evangelizing, the results would be much better.

This is true, but I know plenty of people who wear suits every day and can't wear those correctly either, so I don't think it's just a frequency-of-use thing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations