or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 41

post #601 of 3500
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvw View Post

I'm glad this discussion has moved past, "Suit jackets and dinner jackets are the same, except for the differences, and the similarities are important" vs. "Suit jackets and dinner jackets are different, except for the similarities, and the differences are important." biggrin.gif
Maybe we can move on to other matters, such as converting jackets into other button configurations. Someone else, please continue with this ...

Are you a bot?
post #602 of 3500
What prompted this? No, but how does it fit the discussion?
post #603 of 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Not potentially. Actually.

I can see a 1B being converted to a 2B by just adding another button hole and button lower than the buttoning button, But from 1 to 3 would be a bit tricky as the roll is already established at what would be the middle button. Maybe a 1B converted to a 3 roll 2? I mean i assume we are talking about jackets already made as 1B and not in the process of being made.
post #604 of 3500
post #605 of 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


Not potentially. Actually.

Doesn't it depend on how the quarters are shaped too? If they are quite open and start opening directly below the button wouldn't a new button there look odd?

post #606 of 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltricks View Post

My sister just had her debut (18th birthday party) and she specified black tie. The vast majority were, surprisingly, correctly dressed in black tie. Mostly peak/shawl lapels, some DB tuxes, 2 or 3 velvet smoking jackets. Shoe's were a slightly different story, but the ratio of patent/slippers to other was almost 50/50. I dunno if we just have fashionable friends/family or if it's a filipino thing, but I was pleasantly surprised.
My sister also let me choose her court's clothing, so they were all properly dressed. Interesting to see that this isn't the norm when it comes to black tie, considering that the attendees were mostly ethnic non-caucasians.

As someone who lives in the "old country," I must say that I am impressed with this report that most of your sister's guests at her debut were in black tie. More often than not, our default for formal wear will be national dress (climate being tropical and all that). 

 

Black tie is a relative rarity here in the Philippines, at least after 1986. Most events I have attended where formal garb was required would have had the men in Filipiniana or in lounge suits. To be fair, the black-and-white palette of black tie finds a complement in the black-and-white palette of the barong Tagalog when the latter is worn with evening trousers (at best; black sans the satin outer seam stripe seems to be the norm). I suppose the white dinner jacket with proper accessories would have blended nicely with men in Filipiniana, but I digress. 

post #607 of 3500
Thread Starter 
At one of the best dressed weddings I've ever been to. Attempting to do my part.

footux_london.jpg
post #608 of 3500
It's only appropriate, since it was his wedding, but I dug Bill's peaks more than this shawl. I like your studs more than his uncovered buttons, however. Either way, both great looks. Hope y'all had a good time.
post #609 of 3500
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

It's only appropriate, since it was his wedding, but I dug Bill's peaks more than this shawl. I like your studs more than his uncovered buttons, however. Either way, both great looks. Hope y'all had a good time.

Yes, but just think: the wedding would never have even gotten off the ground without dutiful groomsmen to seat guests and hand out programs. We are the forgotten bearers of burden.
post #610 of 3500
Foo, this question grows out of wondering if I've been pushing my tailor to make my sleeves a bit too short. Are your sleeves on this suit as long as the picture makes them look, and if so, what would you say about it. If that's right, then I'm definitely wrong. I like the DB shawl though, it is definitely not going to look like all the others.
post #611 of 3500
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrologia View Post

Foo, this question grows out of wondering if I've been pushing my tailor to make my sleeves a bit too short. Are your sleeves on this suit as long as the picture makes them look, and if so, what would you say about it. If that's right, then I'm definitely wrong. I like the DB shawl though, it is definitely not going to look like all the others.

It's cut like all my other jackets. I only ever show a sliver of cuff, like half a centimeter or so. There is a broad range of acceptability in my book.
post #612 of 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

It's cut like all my other jackets. I only ever show a sliver of cuff, like half a centimeter or so. There is a broad range of acceptability in my book.

OK, probably just the angle and being B&W then. Thanks.
post #613 of 3500
I know i'm breaking some rules but I come correct 22 outfits and a mic check, how am I doing?

file-1.jpg

file.jpg

file-2.jpg
post #614 of 3500
Looking pretty good. Though, if that last pic is indication, it appears that there is a bit of a gap between the top of your pants and your buttoning point. This exposes some white area. IMO this ruins clean lines and takes away from the continuity of the fit. Try tossing a cummerbund on next time to avoid the glaring gap and especially if you plan to wear your tux unbuttoned.

Also, it appears that there is some flaring at the tails (though it might just be your slightly off-kilter stance in the pic). A ventless jacket will avoid this issue.
post #615 of 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

Looking pretty good. Though, if that last pic is indication, it appears that there is a bit of a gap between the top of your pants and your buttoning point. This exposes some white area. IMO this ruins clean lines and takes away from the continuity of the fit. Try tossing a cummerbund on next time to avoid the glaring gap and especially if you plan to wear your tux unbuttoned.
Also, it appears that there is some flaring at the tails (though it might just be your slightly off-kilter stance in the pic). A ventless jacket will avoid this issue.

I was already wearing suspenders is it appropriate to wear both suspenders and a cummerbund? The flaring is a non-issue when I stand straight up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations