or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 303

post #4531 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Probably because no one feels like dressing up to go and see the millionth showing of Carmen.

 

Interesting point. I'd still suit up for it, as we don't go frequently (would say we are solidly appreciative consumers, not aficionados), so it's an event for us. Plus, we're often covered in various types of toddler sauce in daily life, so getting cleaned up once in a while feels good. 

post #4532 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyDandy View Post

Interesting point. I'd still suit up for it, as we don't go frequently (would say we are solidly appreciative consumers, not aficionados), so it's an event for us. Plus, we're often covered in various types of toddler sauce in daily life, so getting cleaned up once in a while feels good. 

There is no reason you can't. When I say it's no biggie that still means a lot of people will be in suits and ties. I just mean that most won't be in a tux.
post #4533 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlbu View Post
 

Does anyone here wear black tie to the symphony?  I just gave my season opener tickets away which was this past weekend, however, I'm planning to use the rest of my tickets. 


This got a bit buried under the opera talk but if you need another data point, I wear just a shirt and tie. For a season premiere you might not be the only one in black tie but I doubt it would be common.

post #4534 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlbu View Post

Does anyone here wear black tie to the symphony?  I just gave my season opener tickets away which was this past weekend, however, I'm planning to use the rest of my tickets. 

I live in a small city in Michigan that has a very good local symphony orchestra. They do five concerts a season. I try to get to a couple every year and I wear black tie. Except for the Christmas concert I don't usually see anyone else in anything resembling formal attire, sometimes there aren't many suits or ties. But I wear black tie because that's what I think should be worn and I feel like it's a more special night out. Last December I wore my dinner jacket to a local production of The Nutcracker. I always get great compliments when I go out in black tie.
post #4535 of 4604

Lens, you are a light in the fog.

post #4536 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensmaster View Post


I live in a small city in Michigan that has a very good local symphony orchestra. They do five concerts a season. I try to get to a couple every year and I wear black tie. Except for the Christmas concert I don't usually see anyone else in anything resembling formal attire, sometimes there aren't many suits or ties. But I wear black tie because that's what I think should be worn and I feel like it's a more special night out. Last December I wore my dinner jacket to a local production of The Nutcracker. I always get great compliments when I go out in black tie.

 

I have visions in my head of doing this with my daughter when she's old enough (2-1/2 now). My goal is to set the bar very high for whatever knuckledragger she ends up bringing home one day :-)

post #4537 of 4604

How we did it.

 

post #4538 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

How we did it.



Looking good! My only advice would be to trade out that shirt for one with a turn down collar.
post #4539 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by brax View Post

Looking good! My only advice would be to trade out that shirt for one with a turn down collar.

I don't mind the wing collar with a peak lapel dinner jacket (I'd trade the cummerbund for a waistcoat if insisting on a wing collar, though). All that said, Caustic is very comfortably in the "got black tie right" range. Good stuff.
post #4540 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by brax View Post


Looking good! My only advice would be to trade out that shirt for one with a turn down collar.

While I personally agree about the collar, and I'm not a fan of batwing bows, there is nothing wrong with what he's wearing. I think these details are the areas where we get to make a few choices with regards to our black tie rigs that individualise things a little bit.

 

@Caustic Man Looking good, thanks for sharing.

post #4541 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavro23 View Post

While I personally agree about the collar, and I'm not a fan of batwing bows, there is nothing wrong with what he's wearing. I think these details are the areas where we get to make a few choices with regards to our black tie rigs that individualise things a little bit.

@Caustic Man
 Looking good, thanks for sharing.

And I agree with you about the bow tie as well as agree with Archibaldleach about the waistcoat rather than cummerbund. But, to me, those are preferences while the wing collar is in the "wrong" category. Not a mortal "wrong" but a "wrong" nonetheless.
post #4542 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by brax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavro23 View Post

While I personally agree about the collar, and I'm not a fan of batwing bows, there is nothing wrong with what he's wearing. I think these details are the areas where we get to make a few choices with regards to our black tie rigs that individualise things a little bit.

@Caustic Man
 Looking good, thanks for sharing.

And I agree with you about the bow tie as well as agree with Archibaldleach about the waistcoat rather than cummerbund. But, to me, those are preferences while the wing collar is in the "wrong" category. Not a mortal "wrong" but a "wrong" nonetheless.


What is wrong - is that the bow tie is tied wider than the distance between his eyes, but unforunately a common mistake!
bigstar[1].gif
post #4543 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post

What is wrong - is that the bow tie is tied wider than the distance between his eyes, but unforunately a common mistake!
bigstar[1].gif

My response was probably not as clear as it should have been. To me, the only thing wrong is the wing collar rather than a turn down collar. And while not wrong, I choose to wear a waistcoat rather than a cummerbund and choose to wear a butterfly collar rather than a bat wing one.

But I don't want to leave the wrong impression. As I first wrote, I think that CausticMan is looking good and his companion even better. Congrats.
post #4544 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by brax View Post


Looking good! My only advice would be to trade out that shirt for one with a turn down collar.


No.

post #4545 of 4604
Nice dinner suit Caustic. I'm not a fan of the wing collar, but I suspect you won't budge on that one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations