To be specific, I am refering to the Ballet, not the Opera. I cant speak to the Opera as I just cant go. I think supporting the arts is very important, but it genuinely disagrees with me...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- D.C./Baltimore Haberdasher? Last post on 8/6/15 at 7:21pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 1/15/17 at 7:11am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 1/12/17 at 11:10pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style Last post on Today at 12:52 am in Classic Menswear
- Ambrosi Napoli Last post on 3/2/16 at 7:23am in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- How do I have a black tie optional wedding?Last edited: 3/18/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 302post #4517 of 46949/28/16 at 7:45amQuote:
Opening night of a production is no biggie unless it is a world premier or some other factor that makes it special.post #4518 of 46949/28/16 at 8:13ampost #4519 of 46949/28/16 at 8:15ampost #4520 of 46949/28/16 at 8:18ampost #4521 of 46949/28/16 at 8:22ampost #4522 of 46949/28/16 at 8:45ampost #4523 of 46949/28/16 at 8:54ampost #4524 of 46949/28/16 at 10:07amQuote:
But this time it's set in space!
(I certainly don't mind new and interesting productions, but the concept of 'director's opera' needs to die a swift and merciless death.)post #4525 of 46949/28/16 at 10:08ampost #4526 of 46949/28/16 at 10:09amQuote:Originally Posted by culverwood
Not so well, they come and go and Glyndebourne is the only constant high quality country house opera. Though as you say it is hardly that any more.
That's unfortunate; it seemed like a charming idea, particularly for chamber operas.post #4527 of 46949/28/16 at 10:39amQuote:
I know what you mean, although I wouldn't go quite so hard on it. I prefer traditional productions, generally speaking, but sometimes a new interpretation can be really cool. I just wish there were more world premiers out there. Lyric rarely has them. The Met perhaps more often. But the smaller companies seem to really push the envelope with world premiers these days.post #4528 of 46949/28/16 at 10:55amQuote:Originally Posted by Caustic Man
I know what you mean, although I wouldn't go quite so hard on it. I prefer traditional productions, generally speaking, but sometimes a new interpretation can be really cool. I just wish there were more world premiers out there. Lyric rarely has them. The Met perhaps more often. But the smaller companies seem to really push the envelope with world premiers these days.
The larger companies are, by and large, extremely cautious about new work, and that has trickled down. My hope is that the mid-tier and regional companies will gradually become a little more brave.
For example, Missy Mazzoli's Breaking the Waves is getting rave reviews in Philly. I tend to find Vavrek's libretti pretty lifeless and thoughtless affairs, and Mazzoli's not my favourite composer, but it's a sign of hope, a least. American Opera Projects in Brooklyn seems to be a bit of a hub for Mazzoli, Lang, et al.
quick edit: Chris Cerrone's Invisible Cities is another good example, and there's fantastic HD video of it on his website/Youtube-- which is, incidentally, the only filmed opera (in the sense of using editing like a movie, rather than MetHD) that I haven't find instantly risible. Musically brilliant, even if Weaver's translation of the Calvino does trip him up at times.post #4529 of 46949/28/16 at 10:58am
Yeah, it remains to be seen where this all leads to. Just this year there has been two widely talked about world premiers though. And I don't mean that just opera fans are talking about them. I'm talking about Fellow Travelers and Shalimar The Clown, the latter of which actually got a lot of air time on NPR. Neither of which I got to see :(. I was ready to drive down to Cincinnati to see Travelers but the dates didn't work out.post #4530 of 46949/28/16 at 11:06am
I feel like the John Adams experiment was simultaneously too great a success and too big a failure. Houston commissions a massive hit in Nixon, it goes on to great success elsewhere, everybody gets very optimistic-- then Klinghoffer happens and everybody panics. (Adams basically stopped writing opera properly so-called; Alice Goodman ran off to Oxford and joined the clergy.) Now we're seeing a little more willingness to develop, but a great deal more caution.
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 5 seconds ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 8 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 10 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 20 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 25 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 28 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 31 minutes ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 34 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 35 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...