or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 4

post #46 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophe View Post

I regularly see men in traditional black tie at the orchestra and the opera on Saturday night. They look great and not at all out of place. If only the slobwear crowd would catch on! Most men actually look very good in decent black tie.

What city do you live in?
post #47 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman View Post

Men are dressing less formally everyday.

While semi-formal dress has seen a steady decline, I don't think the same is true for business wear. It seems that more people wear jackets and ties to work now, or even out at night, than 5-10 years ago.


I have noticed the same thing in Chicago.

 

post #48 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick R View Post



I have noticed the same thing in Chicago.

Not to mention pocket squares - not all, probably even not most, are doing it well, but I see pocket squares all over the place in DC now. You might dismiss this as ignorant imitation of others without the knowledge to pull it off or whatever, but at least there is an effort and an interest (let's just stop there and acknowledge this rather than go into whether this is a good thing or not - let that debate stay in the Occupy SF thread). Moving back to the black tie discussion - this same thing has not happened with black tie, partly because of the large expense in getting started, and also because of the lack of any occasions even remotely appropriate for the 25-40ish range that seems to be participating in this menswear resurgence. I think at least in cities if some guys started wearing tuxes out to clubs and classy bars/lounges, many would follow.
post #49 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

The point is that it isn't just about you. When you've been invited to a black tie event, you've been invited to enjoy another's hospitality and requested to comply with a certain level of formality in exchange. That's why the "rules" here are so important--they are not just about what's aesthetically sensible, but about what's socially respectful and considerate. You can have all the fun you want with how you dress when you're the one throwing the party.

That statement was more to my style of dressing in general, not limited to black tie. That said, I understand and agree with your point. You should look your best.

However, as stated above, more and more people have taken the black tie rule as an invitation to wear suits. While you might not have experienced this, it is the sad truth. Wearing a tux in many "formal" or "black tie" environments is now the exception rather than the rule.

As I stated above this is especially evident in the case of younger people. As someone in his early 20's I don't know of anyone who is adequately equipped or understands the ins-and-outs of black tie. This becomes very evident in their attire. I find that my "rule-breaking" tux is more than acceptable in any environment I find myself in. Again, if this were to change there would be a new tux in my life.

That said, my NYE event is black tie but involves a lot of dancing and drinking, thus my more casual tux will be fine. I probably won't even have the jacket on except for walking into the place and leaving the place (even then my date will probably have it on her shoulders). I'm in the wedding I mentioned and therefore don't get to pick my tux.
post #50 of 3575
I'm honestly surprised more people don't wear a dinner jacket to formal events where it is requested or optional. I feel like once you get one that is correct and fits well, you're great. No need to mess around with different suit/shirt/tie combinations, just throw on the tux, formal shirt, bowtie, cummerbund/vest, shoes and you're set.

I would think this would be much easier than trying to dress yourself formally in a suit, at least for guys that don't like to think about their clothing, because a man can wear essentially the same thing to every (semi)-formal event.

At least for me personally, if there is an option to wear black tie, I almost always do. I think it looks infinitely better, assuming you don't have some After Six or Selix monstrosity, and it's pretty easy. Now, I feel really bad for women at these things who have to buy a new X-hundred dollar dress every time...
post #51 of 3575


Quote:

Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Moving back to the black tie discussion - this same thing has not happened with black tie, partly because of the large expense in getting started, and also because of the lack of any occasions even remotely appropriate for the 25-40ish range that seems to be participating in this menswear resurgence. 

 

I think the cost and lack of appropriate functions in which to wear the tux has killed it completely. I'm a 36 year old lawyer, who runs my own business, is on the board of non-profits, routinely attends fundraisers, etc. and last year, when I got married, I specifically didn't buy a tux because I don't believe I would have a single opportunity to wear it again for decades.
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

I think at least in cities if some guys started wearing tuxes out to clubs and classy bars/lounges, many would follow.

 

This is the only thing that would bring it back.

post #52 of 3575
Thread Starter 
For what it's worth, pretty much nobody removed their jackets to dance at the wedding I just came from. And it was your typical fast party music.
post #53 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

That said, my NYE event is black tie but involves a lot of dancing and drinking, thus my more casual tux will be fine. I probably won't even have the jacket on except for walking into the place and leaving the place (even then my date will probably have it on her shoulders). I'm in the wedding I mentioned and therefore don't get to pick my tux.

I always leave the jacket on at these kinds of events. The side benefit is that I believe it's the correct thing to do and it looks better, but the primary reasons are:

1. Get too drunk and forget where jacket is
2. Someone else is too drunk and takes my jacket accidentally

Both have happened to me, sadly. Lesson learned.
post #54 of 3575
I run hot wink.gif
post #55 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

For what it's worth, pretty much nobody removed their jackets to dance at the wedding I just came from. And it was your typical fast party music.

And the third benefit is that dancing often = sweating, and the jacket covers up the shirt that you have inevitably sweat through.
post #56 of 3575
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

I run hot wink.gif

That's why you order a shirt with a voile body and sleeves.
post #57 of 3575
You buy and I'll try! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #58 of 3575
Thread Starter 
From the vibe I picked up, it seems a lot of younger guys (my age, plus or minus five years) have a compulsive reaction against dressing in anything that could be construed as old-fashioned.
post #59 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick R View Post


This is the only thing that would bring it back.

Velvet jackets seem to be making something of a comeback. Wearing a velvet DJ or a smoking jacket to a lounge in NYC or DC - douchey or stylish?
post #60 of 3575
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

You buy and I'll try! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

As quasi-Maid of Honor, I was obliged to dance all night. I stayed pretty cool in my mohair jacket and voile shirt. It would have been even cooler had I ordered the jacket quarter-lined.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations