or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 283

post #4231 of 4728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb924 View Post

What's everyones general preference for tuxedo shirt fronts? Plain or pleated? Debating for my wedding rig

I prefer a Marcella front over pleats.
post #4232 of 4728
^ +1
post #4233 of 4728
Marcella.
post #4234 of 4728
In the proud StyleForum tradition -- both! Sometimes, I want the simplicity of a Marcella front, particularly if I'm wearing a DB dinner jacket. But I've always loved the old Brooks Brother four-pleat shirt. There's just something unique about those wide pleats. It's what I wear more often with my SB DJ.
post #4235 of 4728

I ended up going with a Thomas Mason broadcloth on Propercloth with a picque front. My next black tie purchase will definitely be something with pleats. 

post #4236 of 4728

End of evening. Yes, shirt is all kinds of wrong, due to laundry issues. No cummerbund, because DB. Cream DJ because 22 degrees Celsius in Budapest today, and AC at the event could not deal with 1500 bodies. Though dress code was black tie, I saw no one else, bar a few in honorable pseudo black tie. Trousers tickle my floating ribs, and shoes are patent loafers with grosgrain band. I stood out. Conclusion ; a lot of my fellow students have an idea what black tie is, but do not own the proper pieces. Black notch lapel suits galore.
post #4237 of 4728
FWIW, I find it cooll.
I should come to Budapest more often if you have student BT parties (I'm from Ljubljana. Not too much such stuff here, unfortunately) smile.gif
post #4238 of 4728

A night out on the town...well, San José, which barely qualifies.

 

 

And here's why...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #4239 of 4728


You Sir are a Gentleman  :worship2:

post #4240 of 4728
Looks like the kind of guy that, upon the waiter noticing the outfit and asking what the occasion is, would simply give him a puzzled look and answer "Dinner".

Edit - I think he actually is that guy, from many pages ago if I'm not mistaken. And here I thought I came up with a witty original comment.
post #4241 of 4728
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdductorMagnus View Post

Looks like the kind of guy that, upon the waiter noticing the outfit and asking what the occasion is, would simply give him a puzzled look and answer "Dinner".

Edit - I think he actually is that guy, from many pages ago if I'm not mistaken. And here I thought I came up with a witty original comment.

 

.

post #4242 of 4728
I'm looking for a waistcoat. I purchased a tuxedo with satin lapels, but it didn't come with any waist covering. I bought a cummerbund from Kent Wang to complete the look, and I have no issues with it. However, I do want a satin waistcoat in case I prefer that look (never tried it) or to at least have the option. The problem is, I can't find one by the tuxedo maker (Canali). I read up on Brooks Brothers selling one, but the reviews are that the fit is horrible. Obviously I need to see it in person, but does anyone have any leads on where to check out a satin waistcoat?
post #4243 of 4728
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeero3 View Post

I'm looking for a waistcoat. I purchased a tuxedo with satin lapels, but it didn't come with any waist covering. I bought a cummerbund from Kent Wang to complete the look, and I have no issues with it. However, I do want a satin waistcoat in case I prefer that look (never tried it) or to at least have the option. The problem is, I can't find one by the tuxedo maker (Canali). I read up on Brooks Brothers selling one, but the reviews are that the fit is horrible. Obviously I need to see it in person, but does anyone have any leads on where to check out a satin waistcoat?


Stick with the cummerbund unless you can find a u-shaped waistcoat.

post #4244 of 4728
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeero3 View Post

I'm looking for a waistcoat.

http://www.buddshirts.co.uk/black-satin-waistcoat.html
post #4245 of 4728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 


Stick with the cummerbund unless you can find a u-shaped waistcoat.

I don't believe it's satin, but here is one: http://shop.edeandravenscroft.com/collections/formal-dress/products/black-tie-evening-waistcoat

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations