Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- D.C./Baltimore Haberdasher? Last post on 8/6/15 at 7:21pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 12/2/16 at 2:29pm in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 11/23/16 at 3:17am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style Last post on Yesterday at 2:27 am in Classic Menswear
- Ambrosi Napoli Last post on 3/2/16 at 7:23am in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- How do I have a black tie optional wedding?Last edited: 3/18/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 280post #4187 of 45973/3/16 at 8:33amQuote:
Just to be clear, I was trying to help with identify the right picture of the event as @tbrock mentioned notch lapel, wing collar etc... whilst the VP was wearing peak lapel and turn down.
And whilst you can be over critical about fit and cut, the jacket has the right details for example (lapels, pockets)post #4188 of 45973/8/16 at 3:56pmpost #4189 of 45973/8/16 at 4:15pmQuote:
Awesome. You'll find excuses to wear it to other events too. I got mine 3 years ago and have worn it about 15 times. Only one was mandatory black tie, a couple were black tie preferred, and the rest were black tie optional where I could have easily worn a suit if I didn't have the tuxedo.post #4190 of 45973/8/16 at 7:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by archibaldleach
Awesome. You'll find excuses to wear it to other events too. I got mine 3 years ago and have worn it about 15 times. Only one was mandatory black tie, a couple were black tie preferred, and the rest were black tie optional where I could have easily worn a suit if I didn't have the tuxedo.
Yeah, I figured as much. It's about 1.5k. I think I'm fine on the shoes (some C&Js, nothing fancy; I wanted Lobb monk straps, but hard to justify), but it'll take about 2k overall to round it out - planning to support Kent Wang on the cummerbund and tie.
The woman I'm seeing makes dolling up look effortless, so this might be an excuse for a nice date in between the weddings.post #4191 of 45973/8/16 at 11:30pmpost #4192 of 45973/9/16 at 6:03ampost #4193 of 45973/9/16 at 7:12amI think what I budgeted is pretty reasonable for something I'll likely have for a lifetime and maybe wear once or twice a year. I'm fine on the cufflinks, the balance of the budget will be the tie, cummerbund, and shirt.
Also, I was joking about the monk straps. I do want G&G, EG or Lobb ones at some point, but obviously not for black tie.
I think Foo mentioned earlier in the thread that these sort of events are for the women to stand out. I want to be as positively boring, toe the line, get out of the way as possible.
I get crap from my friends because I usually wear American Apparel or Lulu Lemon workout cloths on one hand or boring suits on the other. I rather like not being a clown that sticks out.post #4194 of 45973/9/16 at 7:27ampost #4195 of 45973/9/16 at 7:28ampost #4196 of 45973/9/16 at 12:35pmpost #4197 of 45973/10/16 at 1:22pmpost #4198 of 45973/10/16 at 2:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by skier12
Some black tie pics from White House dinners.
Cooper, Cuban and Cook look to be the best dressed amongst men. Tiffany Cuban and Sheryl Sandberg are always perfectly dressed - would snuggle.
I also thought Goldman paid wellpost #4199 of 45973/12/16 at 10:14amQuote:Originally Posted by skier12
Some black tie pics from White House dinners.
Whoever Alberto Vourvoulias is, he appears to have borrowed a tuxedo from Ted Cruz. And I have to concur about Sheryl Sandberg.post #4200 of 45973/12/16 at 6:08pm
I put my rig together for a similar price:
$175 for a NWT Caruso peak lapel tux w/ flat front pants on eBay (seller didn't know what they had)
$75 pre-owned Cheaney wholecut oxfords on eBay
$40 new Drakes button in suspenders on eBay
$25 NWOT David Donahue pique tux shirt new without tags on eBay
$35 R Hanauer bow tie new at local store
$15 Pre-owned MOP studs on eBay
$10 Saks Silk white pocket square from Saks Off Fifth
$115 for tux & shirt alterations
I did splurge on some ST Dupont cufflinks to go with my rig but I don't count them in the tux cost cause I wear them to work often as well. I also just got a BB diamond tip tie to switch things up a bit. I also choose to go no-cumberbund, but I'll probably pick one up at some point.
Anyone interested in the same Caruso tux deal I got, there are a few left in 40L and 42L- PM me and I can lead you to the mother lode. I had 2 other friends buy the same tux at the same price. I even thought about buying and flipping them here or on eBay but decided not to take the risk.
Edited by dwlbu - 3/13/16 at 5:41am
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › The Toronto For Sale Thread 27 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 9 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 9 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 10 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Mister Freedom N-1H deck jacket navy Troy lined size 36 13 minutes ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 16 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Aspesi Beige Field Jacket Size Large 18 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway