or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 273

post #4081 of 4600


In that company, I'm sure no one noticed your shirt buttons!

post #4082 of 4600
Good looking tuxedo shirts on sale at Saks!
http://m.saks.com/pd.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306418052&productCode=0477597456938&R=822289773815&P_name=ISAIA&sid=127F38CAD8BC&N=1553+306418052+4294962179+4294906354+4294902824+4294903074+4294915818+4294906976+4294956084+4294905790&bmUID=l7q8MSD
post #4083 of 4600
(Un)Fortunately so few people even know about black tie it isn't an issue. I, myself had to substitute a white shirt for a proper tuxedo (or studded) shirt due to a pre-event mishap. As long as you don't draw too much attention to it, let your natural charisma and savior faire carry you through it.
post #4084 of 4600

Has anyone ever used Black Kimono Silk Chirimen for Dinner Jacket facings?

post #4085 of 4600

Brooks Brothers dinner jacket and trousers (that I got in the seventies), Thomas Pink pique (Marcella) shirt, Barney's grosgrain tie and vest, and Allen-Edmonds Ritz black patent leather pumps.......

post #4086 of 4600
I never realized how boring traditional black tie looks... it's funny, to other non-style forumites, I bet they think that the tuxedo/dinner suit is top notch just by virtue of the black and white ensemble (they won't nitpick on lapels and studs etc).

but I see more of a boring black "suit"....

I have been infected with a vision of semi-foppish style being more "stylish"

What do you all think of something less traditional like this:



and also, I have this nagging idea of using a black watch tartan bow tie...
post #4087 of 4600

@Roycru

 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while those are quite beautiful patent leather pumps, isn't a patent leather oxford best suited to black tie while a patent leather pump is best suited to white tie?

post #4088 of 4600

@bringusingoodale 

 

My personal opinion on traditional black tie is that the elegance and beauty is in the cleanliness and classicness (if that's even a word...) of the black (I refer to both midnight blue and black in this case) and white ensemble.  

 

On the 2 tuxedos in the photo you showed, I feel that less traditional alternatives if done, well look fine.

But something like a navy tuxedo looks like a mass produced copycat of the midnight blue skyfall tuxedo.

 

Non-styleforumites probably also think that notch lapel tuxedos in latex catsuit like fit by probably Hugo Boss would also be quite top notch... 

Our styleforumite nitpickiness is what I would say makes us stand out in a positive way amongst other badly-dressed men.  

post #4089 of 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNiven View Post

@Roycru


Correct me if I'm wrong, but while those are quite beautiful patent leather pumps, isn't a patent leather oxford best suited to black tie while a patent leather pump is best suited to white tie?

Not RoyCru, but I've always understood pumps and plain toe patent leather to be acceptable with black tie, while pumps are pretty much required with white tie.
post #4090 of 4600
And one can call black tie boring, but it's not supposed to be flashy or interesting. It's the antithesis of peacocking. Elegance and neutrality is the goal.
post #4091 of 4600
I don't really have the opportunity to wear black tie myself, but I think it's about expressing your style within a strict set of rules. The higher the formality (black tie, white tie, morning, etc.) the more strict the rules and less freedom to do what you want, but you can still express your style within those rules. The strict set of rules assure everyone looks good at a minimum standard.

The lower the formality the less rules and more freedom to express your style, but the freedom also results in more people looking bad. For example you might notice people well dressed in formal suits, sports jackets, but if they dress less formally like in MC casual their lack of sense and style is highlighted.
post #4092 of 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post

I don't really have the opportunity to wear black tie myself, but I think it's about expressing your style within a strict set of rules. The higher the formality (black tie, white tie, morning, etc.) the more strict the rules and less freedom to do what you want, but you can still express your style within those rules. The strict set of rules assure everyone looks good at a minimum standard.

The lower the formality the less rules and more freedom to express your style, but the freedom also results in more people looking bad. For example you might notice people well dressed in formal suits, sports jackets, but if they dress less formally like in MC casual their lack of sense and style is highlighted.
I'm in complete agreement.
post #4093 of 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

And one can call black tie boring, but it's not supposed to be flashy or interesting. It's the antithesis of peacocking. Elegance and neutrality is the goal.
Yes, the gentleman's attire is meant to frame the canvas that is the lady he is accompanying. She is the peacock.
post #4094 of 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycru View Post
 

Brooks Brothers dinner jacket and trousers (that I got in the seventies), Thomas Pink pique (Marcella) shirt, Barney's grosgrain tie and vest, and Allen-Edmonds Ritz black patent leather pumps.......

 

Superb.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale View Post

I never realized how boring traditional black tie looks... it's funny, to other non-style forumites, I bet they think that the tuxedo/dinner suit is top notch just by virtue of the black and white ensemble (they won't nitpick on lapels and studs etc).

but I see more of a boring black "suit"....

I have been infected with a vision of semi-foppish style being more "stylish"

What do you all think of something less traditional like this:
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


and also, I have this nagging idea of using a black watch tartan bow tie...

 

I think you should seek treatment for your infection. There's nothing boring about black tie. If you've ever walked through a room and the crowd just parts as you walk through it, then you'd understand the power of a good dinner jacket.

 

Are those lapels supposed to be leather? If they are and if you were to wear such a jacket, you would look, I'm sorry to say, ridiculous.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNiven View Post
 

@Roycru

 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while those are quite beautiful patent leather pumps, isn't a patent leather oxford best suited to black tie while a patent leather pump is best suited to white tie?

 

Pumps are perfectly acceptable with black tie. As would be other white tie accessories, such as a white marcella vest, say.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

And one can call black tie boring, but it's not supposed to be flashy or interesting. It's the antithesis of peacocking. Elegance and neutrality is the goal.

 

This.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post

I don't really have the opportunity to wear black tie myself, but I think it's about expressing your style within a strict set of rules. 

 

I agree wholeheartedly with this. But I make my own opportunities. I go out to dinner, I wear a dinner jacket.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post


Yes, the gentleman's attire is meant to frame the canvas that is the lady he is accompanying. She is the peacock.

 

Well, not perhaps a peacock (wrong gender, to say the least), but your point is true. I am but a backdrop to my wife, who dazzled last night in Camille Flawless and Christian Louboutin...

 

post #4095 of 4600
I am under 30 (though close to it) perhaps that has something to do with my sentiment of black tie seeming boring.

and like I said, not to offend anyone, but outside of small circle of clotheshorses and dandy aspirants and fops, no one will care if you aren't wearing "classic" men's black tie ensemble.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations