or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 271

post #4051 of 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Is it just a matter of people valuing them differently or is it because of the specific makeup (metal)?
It's the former. As a rule, you'll pay more when buying from a dealer than a private party. That said, some private parties set their prices at dealer level. As with most items it's best to buy at auction.
post #4052 of 4601
I've seen plain (plated) MOP sets with vest studs for $50 and supposed "platinum inlay" similar looking sets with no vest studs for $500. Seems crazy. Ran across a set at a jeweler today (onyx with a small pearl in the center) for ~$325 total. They were for sale separately as cuff links/vest studs/shirt studs. The lady working the counter thought the vest studs were shirt studs and didn't know what the shirt studs were for.

I'm happy with a $50 plate MOP set for my needs.
post #4053 of 4601
Anyone have any source for shirt studs like these?



Plain smoke MOP without any exposed metal.

Preferably from a source that doesn't want £42 to ship a £24.50 set of studs...
post #4054 of 4601
What site are those from?
post #4055 of 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post

What site are those from?

Pakeman Catto & Carter
post #4056 of 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Anyone have any source for shirt studs like these?



Plain smoke MOP without any exposed metal.

Preferably from a source that doesn't want £42 to ship a £24.50 set of studs...


If you are the industrious sort you could fashion a reasonable facsimile in short order.


post #4057 of 4601


Will this work as an alternative?
post #4058 of 4601

Just had the below tuxedo and shirt made for my wedding.

 

Specs are midnight blue, black grosgrain peak lapels, low button stance, jetted pockets and side vents. The shirt is pique, spread collar, hidden placket.

 

I plan to wear it with velvet slippers, albert thurston white suspenders, kent wang grosgrain cummerbund and Brioni grosgrain bow tie (self-tie, not the one shown).

 

It is very wrinkled in the picture as it just came in. They are shortening the jacket sleeves (currently folded in causing the bunching), shirt sleeves and pants.

 

Thoughts?

 

 

 

 

post #4059 of 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Anyone have any source for shirt studs like these?



Plain smoke MOP without any exposed metal.

Preferably from a source that doesn't want £42 to ship a £24.50 set of studs...

Not sure what your budget is or how exactly a match you're looking for, but onyx on yellow gold is fairly common.  A quick search at Brooks Brothers found a stud & link set that matches pretty closely.  Otherwise I'd just watch ruby lane closely until something turns up.

post #4060 of 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferragamo2012 View Post

Just had the below tuxedo and shirt made for my wedding.

Specs are midnight blue, black grosgrain peak lapels, low button stance, jetted pockets and side vents. The shirt is pique, spread collar, hidden placket.

I plan to wear it with velvet slippers, albert thurston white suspenders, kent wang grosgrain cummerbund and Brioni grosgrain bow tie (self-tie, not the one shown).

It is very wrinkled in the picture as it just came in. They are shortening the jacket sleeves (currently folded in causing the bunching), shirt sleeves and pants.

Thoughts?







Looks great! Love that it's a true midnight and not navy. Not a huge fan of hidden placket, but that's obvious just personal preference. Congrats on the pending nuptials.
post #4061 of 4601
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferragamo2012 View Post

 

I plan to wear it with velvet slippers, albert thurston white suspenders, kent wang grosgrain cummerbund and Brioni grosgrain bow tie (self-tie, not the one shown).

 

It is very wrinkled in the picture as it just came in. They are shortening the jacket sleeves (currently folded in causing the bunching), shirt sleeves and pants.

 

Thoughts?

 

So far so good, but want to see the finished set.  The jacket looks like it fits you well save for the sleeves which are being adjusted.  Can't see much of anything else in the picture; there are definitely some ruffles in the pants about knee level but I'm guessing they are a side effect of the trousers being unfinished.  I'm sure they'll look great after they're properly hemmed.

 

Also, I believe velvet slippers are typically reserved for the host of the event, which for a wedding is traditionally the father of the bride.  Assuming you are familiar with the leather goods store that is your namesake, Salvatore Ferragamo makes a smart looking patent oxford that I'd consider instead:

 

 

 

Or if you're really into slip-ons, they also make something that's sort of in-between a pump and a lace-up:

 

post #4062 of 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post



Will this work as an alternative?

 

An alternative to what? I'd say they're about on par with wingtip brogues and we all saw how much flack Prince William took for wearing those to his reception.  They're certainly the right color, but  breaking from the style of black tie - If you don't want to go patent, then I think you'd be better served by an untextured, polished calf-skin plain front oxford (preferably whole cut) such as:

 

post #4063 of 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post



Will this work as an alternative?
Quote:
Originally Posted by palk View Post

An alternative to what? I'd say they're about on par with wingtip brogues and we all saw how much flack Prince William took for wearing those to his reception.  They're certainly the right color, but  breaking from the style of black tie - If you don't want to go patent, then I think you'd be better served by an untextured, polished calf-skin plain front oxford (preferably whole cut)

I'd have to agree with the above. Pebble-grain black captoes are kind of a confusing beast, and not something I'd pair with black tie. Offerings from Kent Wang or Allen Edmonds might suit instead.

disclaimer: I own the latter with a black Dainite sole; they're my go-to for weddings, funerals, eveningwear, orchestra concerts, job interviews -- anything reasonably spiffy in which the show must go on regardless of weather.
post #4064 of 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by palk View Post

I think you'd be better served by an untextured, polished calf-skin plain front oxford (preferably whole cut) such as:


The uppers are fine but the soles are too thick and prominent for formal shoes.




This is the type of sole treatment that is optimal for formal wear.
post #4065 of 4601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post


The uppers are fine but the soles are too thick and prominent for formal shoes.


This is the type of sole treatment that is optimal for formal wear.

 

Completely agree: pumps are ideal.  As lordsuperb was looking for alternatives to something, I assumed that pumps weren't an option and a less formal shoe was desired.

 

I particularly like the length and shape of the vamp on those.  Where are they from?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations