Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- D.C./Baltimore Haberdasher? Last post on 8/6/15 at 7:21pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 2:55 pm in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on Yesterday at 3:26 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style Last post on Today at 12:34 am in Classic Menswear
- Ambrosi Napoli Last post on 3/2/16 at 7:23am in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- How do I have a black tie optional wedding?Last edited: 3/18/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 269post #4021 of 477211/18/15 at 6:52pmpost #4022 of 477211/19/15 at 8:06amProbably set myself up for that. My point, although poorly made, was that each of us must make our own decisions when it comes to formal rules. The lions share of those you interact with won't know the rules, nor give a care about what you have on, as long as you don't look like a complete clown. If you do care and chose to follow for whatever personal reasons, black tie doesn't provide many options for individuality.
BTW....nice to see some quick wit.post #4023 of 477211/21/15 at 10:28pmpost #4024 of 477211/22/15 at 4:27ampost #4025 of 477211/22/15 at 9:24amlike it! the white carnation, or something in red for contrast (reddish stone small one, etc.) seem like great options to me.post #4026 of 477211/23/15 at 12:20pmQuote:
I have two small questions about the dinner jacket:
post #4027 of 477211/23/15 at 12:42pmQuote:
- The pictures appear to show side vents pointing out; was it a personal choice to go with vents and if so would you mind commenting on why?
- What about the boutonnière?
I do like and decided on the vents. I have a rather large arse from playing hockey, which means that ventless jackets puff up in a rather unflattering manner. The vents break that up and I'm pretty ok with breaking that one rule. They normally don't poke up that much, but these photos were taken at the end of the evening, after sitting for both dinner and the symphony - some wrinkling and pulling was inevitable!
It was indeed an oversight as far as the boutonnière. Unfortunately I don't have anyone local who I trust to open up a button hole and do a decent job of it. Any recommendations from anyone here? I could travel with my DJ and have a tailor do it somewhere during my travels... just haven't found anyone yet.post #4028 of 477211/23/15 at 1:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by traditional AE
Probably set myself up for that. My point, although poorly made, was that each of us must make our own decisions when it comes to formal rules. The lions share of those you interact with won't know the rules, nor give a care about what you have on, as long as you don't look like a complete clown. If you do care and chose to follow for whatever personal reasons, black tie doesn't provide many options for individuality.
BTW....nice to see some quick wit.
I beg to differ. The studs, cufflinks, waistcoat, shirt, bowtie, and shoes all offer a fairly large amount of opportunity for expressing your personality. Arguably, there might actually be too much leeway. Imagine arriving at an event in a more formal kit such as Poirot's here:
only to find everyone fancies themselves James Bond:post #4029 of 477211/23/15 at 2:24pmpost #4030 of 477211/23/15 at 5:45pm
I was thinking of having a Midnight Blue single breasted peak lapel one button jetted pocket lounge suit made. Do you guys think it can pass off as a faux dinner jacket? Was thinking of wearing it with a midnight blue dupioni silk bow tie and a fly front hidden placket cream shirt I have.
Edited by The Chai - 11/23/15 at 7:46pmpost #4031 of 477211/23/15 at 6:22pmpost #4032 of 477211/23/15 at 6:23pmpost #4033 of 477211/25/15 at 11:19ampost #4034 of 477211/25/15 at 6:07pmpost #4035 of 477211/26/15 at 3:20pm
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 3 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 4 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 9 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 10 minutes ago
- › patrickBOOTH's Third-of-Life Crisis and (Mostly) Self-Imposed... 10 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 13 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 16 minutes ago
- › Cheaney 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway