Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- D.C./Baltimore Haberdasher? Last post on 8/6/15 at 7:21pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 9:28 am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 1/12/17 at 11:10pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style Last post on Today at 7:39 am in Classic Menswear
- Ambrosi Napoli Last post on 3/2/16 at 7:23am in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- How do I have a black tie optional wedding?Last edited: 3/18/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 269post #4021 of 472711/18/15 at 6:52pmpost #4022 of 472711/19/15 at 8:06amProbably set myself up for that. My point, although poorly made, was that each of us must make our own decisions when it comes to formal rules. The lions share of those you interact with won't know the rules, nor give a care about what you have on, as long as you don't look like a complete clown. If you do care and chose to follow for whatever personal reasons, black tie doesn't provide many options for individuality.
BTW....nice to see some quick wit.post #4023 of 472711/21/15 at 10:28pmpost #4024 of 472711/22/15 at 4:27ampost #4025 of 472711/22/15 at 9:24amlike it! the white carnation, or something in red for contrast (reddish stone small one, etc.) seem like great options to me.post #4026 of 472711/23/15 at 12:20pmQuote:
I have two small questions about the dinner jacket:
post #4027 of 472711/23/15 at 12:42pmQuote:
- The pictures appear to show side vents pointing out; was it a personal choice to go with vents and if so would you mind commenting on why?
- What about the boutonnière?
I do like and decided on the vents. I have a rather large arse from playing hockey, which means that ventless jackets puff up in a rather unflattering manner. The vents break that up and I'm pretty ok with breaking that one rule. They normally don't poke up that much, but these photos were taken at the end of the evening, after sitting for both dinner and the symphony - some wrinkling and pulling was inevitable!
It was indeed an oversight as far as the boutonnière. Unfortunately I don't have anyone local who I trust to open up a button hole and do a decent job of it. Any recommendations from anyone here? I could travel with my DJ and have a tailor do it somewhere during my travels... just haven't found anyone yet.post #4028 of 472711/23/15 at 1:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by traditional AE
Probably set myself up for that. My point, although poorly made, was that each of us must make our own decisions when it comes to formal rules. The lions share of those you interact with won't know the rules, nor give a care about what you have on, as long as you don't look like a complete clown. If you do care and chose to follow for whatever personal reasons, black tie doesn't provide many options for individuality.
BTW....nice to see some quick wit.
I beg to differ. The studs, cufflinks, waistcoat, shirt, bowtie, and shoes all offer a fairly large amount of opportunity for expressing your personality. Arguably, there might actually be too much leeway. Imagine arriving at an event in a more formal kit such as Poirot's here:
only to find everyone fancies themselves James Bond:post #4029 of 472711/23/15 at 2:24pmpost #4030 of 472711/23/15 at 5:45pm
I was thinking of having a Midnight Blue single breasted peak lapel one button jetted pocket lounge suit made. Do you guys think it can pass off as a faux dinner jacket? Was thinking of wearing it with a midnight blue dupioni silk bow tie and a fly front hidden placket cream shirt I have.
Edited by The Chai - 11/23/15 at 7:46pmpost #4031 of 472711/23/15 at 6:22pmpost #4032 of 472711/23/15 at 6:23pmpost #4033 of 472711/25/15 at 11:19ampost #4034 of 472711/25/15 at 6:07pmpost #4035 of 472711/26/15 at 3:20pm
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 24 seconds ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Frank Clegg Briefcases 1 minute ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 4 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 11 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 13 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...