or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 264

post #3946 of 4597
Thanks gents for all the advice...As a father with 2 girlies under 8 I honestly don't attend enough events to warrant buying a $2'000 tux/dinner jacket for a cruise. It was more a question as if the suits would do...or if renting a tux (the horror) would be better. Of course not taking 2 suits along overseas over would be a bit easier...but I'm taking a few SCs in my carry-on garment bag anyways...
post #3947 of 4597
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemore View Post

Thanks gents for all the advice...As a father with 2 girlies under 8 I honestly don't attend enough events to warrant buying a $2'000 tux/dinner jacket for a cruise. It was more a question as if the suits would do...or if renting a tux (the horror) would be better. Of course not taking 2 suits along overseas over would be a bit easier...but I'm taking a few SCs in my carry-on garment bag anyways...

Why not pick up a lightly used tux, have it tailored. Most people only use a tux once then realize they have no need for it.
post #3948 of 4597
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanS View Post

Why not pick up a lightly used tux, have it tailored. Most people only use a tux once then realize they have no need for it.

Then why would he go out and buy one?
eh.gif
post #3949 of 4597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanS View Post

Why not pick up a lightly used tux, have it tailored. Most people only use a tux once then realize they have no need for it.

Then why would he go out and buy one?
eh.gif

Because he thinks he needs it. Then realizes he doesn't. You're just taking advantage of a mistake someone else made.
post #3950 of 4597

Again gents...thanks for the thoughts...Until the girls are old enough to go to (and sit through) Premiers, I will probabaly stick to the less formal "Matinees"... Yes...I'm one of those D*cks that insist that my children attend classical concerts... but at the correct showing ...and with  easiy escape seats... I wear suits to these events...and when I say suit...I don't mean OTR Macy's versusCanali full canvas  suits cut to me...I also believe in dressing to the event...and perhaps a "Carniva" brand cruis is not the event to buy a proper tux for....and when I do buy a tux...I weant it to be proper...and cost be damned compared to quality.

post #3951 of 4597
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemore View Post

Again gents...thanks for the thoughts...Until the girls are old enough to go to (and sit through) Premiers, I will probabaly stick to the less formal "Matinees"... Yes...I'm one of those D*cks that insist that my children attend classical concerts... but at the correct showing ...and with  easiy escape seats... I wear suits to these events...and when I say suit...I don't mean OTR Macy's versusCanali full canvas  suits cut to me...I also believe in dressing to the event...and perhaps a "Carniva" brand cruis is not the event to buy a proper tux for....and when I do buy a tux...I weant it to be proper...and cost be damned compared to quality.

I suppose a cruis is not the proper reason to buy a tux. But, I'm of the opinion every well dressed man should own a tuxedo. I picked up a Brioni classic tuxedo (peak lapel, piped pockets, one button, shell) for 450 off the bought and sold, then I had it altered and now it looks like great.
post #3952 of 4597
Absolutely. I got mine for something like 40 bucks. Had been worn once. Great option to have in the closet.
post #3953 of 4597
Possibly the discussions have made their way round to the same old topics, spending on a tux and owning one at a reasonable cost.

If the points haven't already been (re-)raised, I think once you own a tuxedo you begin to look more carefully for events to use it...Eventbrite and other sites are at least decent resources for the next black tie dinner or event. I should have been at a black tie dinner on October 3rd at the W hotel ballroom DC, with a really interesting guest speaker. Regret that I couldn't make it, but that's one of many within a few hours drive for me.

As for owning at a reasonable cost, it would be worth looking into Suitsupply (off the rack or a nice MTM job), or waiting until Polo has a good promo/ sale-- then picking up the necc. accessories later throughout the year as you see them, sales, etc. at Saks / Barneys Warehouse/ Paul Stuart! biggrin.gif




Edited by The_Foxx - 10/13/15 at 5:06am
post #3954 of 4597


I finally had an opportunity to wear my rig last weekend to a wedding in NC. While it rained like crazy it survived traveling to and from the event.

It needs some work on the shoulders but otherwise for the first wear it worked out well. I also added ribboned laces to my patent leather Aldens. The pic was taken before I had a chance to tuck the collar behind the bow.shog[1].gif Also at the wedding I noticed most of the younger people in black tie has some kind of contrasting bow tie. I also don't think I saw another cummerbund, but to be fair I doubt anyone saw mine.
post #3955 of 4597
Oops! I failed to read that last post carefully
post #3956 of 4597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post




It needs some work on the shoulders.
Those shoulders need a lot ($$$$) of work by a tailor who knows what he's doing.
post #3957 of 4597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post

I also don't think I saw another cummerbund, but to be fair I doubt anyone saw mine.

They are only conspicuous by their absence.
post #3958 of 4597
Maybe it's just me, but I think wing collars look absolutely terrible when worn with black tie. Having that black ring around one's neck looks beyond silly to me. shog[1].gif
post #3959 of 4597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post

Maybe it's just me, but I think wing collars look absolutely terrible when worn with black tie. Having that black ring around one's neck looks beyond silly to me. shog[1].gif
In twenty years of wearing tuxedos, I've never worn anything but wing collars. I feel a lot better about it since I discovered fitted bow ties; an uninterrupted band of satin looks a lot better than random sizing hardware.

That said, my next shirt will probably be a turndown collar... just for something different.
post #3960 of 4597
I greatly prefer turndown collars and could not see myself wearing a wing collar with black tie, but I don't think they're awful. A bit suboptimal (very suboptimal with a shawl collar), but that's all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations