Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- D.C./Baltimore Haberdasher? Last post on 8/6/15 at 7:21pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 2/22/17 at 8:01am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 2/19/17 at 3:26pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style Last post on Yesterday at 4:28 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ambrosi Napoli Last post on 3/2/16 at 7:23am in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- How do I have a black tie optional wedding?Last edited: 3/18/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 264post #3946 of 478110/12/15 at 8:41amThanks gents for all the advice...As a father with 2 girlies under 8 I honestly don't attend enough events to warrant buying a $2'000 tux/dinner jacket for a cruise. It was more a question as if the suits would do...or if renting a tux (the horror) would be better. Of course not taking 2 suits along overseas over would be a bit easier...but I'm taking a few SCs in my carry-on garment bag anyways...post #3947 of 478110/12/15 at 9:39amQuote:Originally Posted by justonemore
Thanks gents for all the advice...As a father with 2 girlies under 8 I honestly don't attend enough events to warrant buying a $2'000 tux/dinner jacket for a cruise. It was more a question as if the suits would do...or if renting a tux (the horror) would be better. Of course not taking 2 suits along overseas over would be a bit easier...but I'm taking a few SCs in my carry-on garment bag anyways...
Why not pick up a lightly used tux, have it tailored. Most people only use a tux once then realize they have no need for it.post #3948 of 478110/12/15 at 9:42ampost #3949 of 478110/12/15 at 9:43amQuote:
Because he thinks he needs it. Then realizes he doesn't. You're just taking advantage of a mistake someone else made.post #3950 of 478110/12/15 at 10:20am
Again gents...thanks for the thoughts...Until the girls are old enough to go to (and sit through) Premiers, I will probabaly stick to the less formal "Matinees"... Yes...I'm one of those D*cks that insist that my children attend classical concerts... but at the correct showing ...and with easiy escape seats... I wear suits to these events...and when I say suit...I don't mean OTR Macy's versusCanali full canvas suits cut to me...I also believe in dressing to the event...and perhaps a "Carniva" brand cruis is not the event to buy a proper tux for....and when I do buy a tux...I weant it to be proper...and cost be damned compared to quality.post #3951 of 478110/12/15 at 1:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by justonemore
Again gents...thanks for the thoughts...Until the girls are old enough to go to (and sit through) Premiers, I will probabaly stick to the less formal "Matinees"... Yes...I'm one of those D*cks that insist that my children attend classical concerts... but at the correct showing ...and with easiy escape seats... I wear suits to these events...and when I say suit...I don't mean OTR Macy's versusCanali full canvas suits cut to me...I also believe in dressing to the event...and perhaps a "Carniva" brand cruis is not the event to buy a proper tux for....and when I do buy a tux...I weant it to be proper...and cost be damned compared to quality.
I suppose a cruis is not the proper reason to buy a tux. But, I'm of the opinion every well dressed man should own a tuxedo. I picked up a Brioni classic tuxedo (peak lapel, piped pockets, one button, shell) for 450 off the bought and sold, then I had it altered and now it looks like great.post #3952 of 478110/12/15 at 1:11pmpost #3953 of 478110/13/15 at 4:37amPossibly the discussions have made their way round to the same old topics, spending on a tux and owning one at a reasonable cost.
If the points haven't already been (re-)raised, I think once you own a tuxedo you begin to look more carefully for events to use it...Eventbrite and other sites are at least decent resources for the next black tie dinner or event. I should have been at a black tie dinner on October 3rd at the W hotel ballroom DC, with a really interesting guest speaker. Regret that I couldn't make it, but that's one of many within a few hours drive for me.
As for owning at a reasonable cost, it would be worth looking into Suitsupply (off the rack or a nice MTM job), or waiting until Polo has a good promo/ sale-- then picking up the necc. accessories later throughout the year as you see them, sales, etc. at Saks / Barneys Warehouse/ Paul Stuart!
Edited by The_Foxx - 10/13/15 at 5:06ampost #3954 of 478110/13/15 at 7:48pm
I finally had an opportunity to wear my rig last weekend to a wedding in NC. While it rained like crazy it survived traveling to and from the event.
It needs some work on the shoulders but otherwise for the first wear it worked out well. I also added ribboned laces to my patent leather Aldens. The pic was taken before I had a chance to tuck the collar behind the bow. Also at the wedding I noticed most of the younger people in black tie has some kind of contrasting bow tie. I also don't think I saw another cummerbund, but to be fair I doubt anyone saw mine.post #3955 of 478110/14/15 at 6:15pmpost #3956 of 478110/14/15 at 8:13pmpost #3957 of 478110/15/15 at 5:32ampost #3958 of 478110/15/15 at 5:35ampost #3959 of 478110/15/15 at 5:40amQuote:In twenty years of wearing tuxedos, I've never worn anything but wing collars. I feel a lot better about it since I discovered fitted bow ties; an uninterrupted band of satin looks a lot better than random sizing hardware.
That said, my next shirt will probably be a turndown collar... just for something different.post #3960 of 478110/15/15 at 7:33am
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 36 seconds ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 2 minutes ago
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 2 minutes ago
- › Pierpont Leather - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › RRL black leather belt. Size 32 8 minutes ago
- › RRL FW16 cotton jersey blue/black plaid shirt. Size Medium. 11 minutes ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 11 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...