or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 249

post #3721 of 3735
The last thing I'll add on this debate is a suggestion to heed the following:

Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

That is all.
post #3722 of 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Unrelated to what I am saying. I wish you (plural) would realize that. It's the "thinking" thing.
Your impression of what you think are the tradition, and the gold standard, of black tie have most likely been established by listening to people who have been on SF for 3 months, and heard it was best a month earlier from people who'd been on SF for 3 months, who heard it was best a month earlier from people who'd been on SF for 3 months, etc, etc.

You have every right to like it best. To think it is the only appropriate one is an invention.

archetypal_yuppie Why are you such an angry person? You are doing the same thing that you are complaining about, you are sounding self righteous. I will say I am one who wears shawl lapel and peak lapel tuxedos, I have one of each. I will not wear notch lapel, flap pocket, with no waist covering because that is what my suits look like and my semi-formal wear should look a step above what I normally wear. I do not criticize people I see wearing what I won't, that is impolite. But in a forum like this I will debate what looks good in a tuxedo because that is one purpose of this forum. Other than your calling names all you've said in support of your position is that most men today wear that and so it is the right way to do it. I will say that since the 70's men have not known how to dress. I don't judge proper clothing by what men wear today or what the clothing industry tells men they should wear. I look to men I think dressed well and that is mostly in the 30's and 40's. I welcome your arguments for your point of view but calling names is not debate.
post #3723 of 3735
Complaining about a lack of attention or critical thinking in this "debate" is not the same thing as name-calling.

I am not an angry person. People that know me in person would probably describe me as happy-go-lucky (acquaintanceship 0% coincides with people on SF, as far as I know).

There are many things that drive me nuts, however, and "debating" with people whose arguments range from poor to idiotic is one of them.



I'm not gonna snap at someone who is ignorant, inquiring, asking, learning, etc. But [ high horse ] + [ wrong ] usually melts away my restraint pretty quickly. Remember that my initial criticism in this "debate" was at its heart in defense of people that poster A-something-something was looking down upon.
post #3724 of 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


I am never one to discourage one from buying a tuxedo and I think it is something most well-dressed men should own, especially living in NYC where there are opportunities to wear it, but be honest with yourself about how practical it is if you have to buy a decent tuxedo new (keep in mind you need the tuxedo, a shirt, bow tie, vest/cummerbund, cufflinks/studs and shoes (stitch cap black oxfords highly shined will do in a pinch but are not true black tie). Some of your friends will not have black tie weddings and you'll be wearing a suit instead. If you are in a wedding party, the bride / groom may be possessed by the idiotic idea that everyone in a wedding party needs to match and thus must rent matching attire from a rental store regardless of whether they own a tuxedo themselves. So if you are buying a tuxedo because you think it is a good thing to have and can reasonably afford it, go for it. If you are only buying for these weddings which may not be black tie and where you may not get to wear your tuxedo even if you are in the wedding party / it isn't a practical purchase at the moment, you may want to hold off.
 

 

This is all great advice, but the point that I highlighted is what I fear the most. There aren't enough opportunities to dress in formal attire, and I'm afraid I'll be stuck in a cheap Men's Wearhouse center vent tux in a silver color because they think it "looks cool." Soul-killing.

post #3725 of 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

This is all great advice, but the point that I highlighted is what I fear the most. There aren't enough opportunities to dress in formal attire, and I'm afraid I'll be stuck in a cheap Men's Wearhouse center vent tux in a silver color because they think it "looks cool." Soul-killing.

I've advised engaged couples on this every chance I get, particularly the "let them wear their own" part. It'll look better and rentals are gross. It would be white by the time I was done bleaching it enough to be willing to wear.

Plus bridesmaid dresses are often the same color but slightly different styles. No reason not to do the same on the groomsmen.
post #3726 of 3735
My cat wears his tuxedo in the shower.


But really! I'm shopping for my first real tuxedo today! I decided on a midnight navy peak lapel, single button of course. Going to see my tailor to look at my fabric options!
post #3727 of 3735
Lol! He needs a bowtie though.
post #3728 of 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamless View Post

midnight navy

Beware, potential source of regret if you want to keep this thing for several years.

-Peak of its popularity right now
-Each picture of you will be in the midnight navy, if you see the same people you'll stand out a bit each time

To me, this choice seems more rational as a 2nd or 3rd tux.
post #3729 of 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Beware, potential source of regret if you want to keep this thing for several years.

-Peak of its popularity right now
-Each picture of you will be in the midnight navy, if you see the same people you'll stand out a bit each time

To me, this choice seems more rational as a 2nd or 3rd tux.

I would say that blue/navy is at the peak of its popularity now, but true midnight ("midnight navy" doesn't really exist in this regard, IMO) will always be pretty timeless. The picture thing you bring up doesn't really matter since a true midnight will look black in photographs (same way black sometimes looks purplish or blueish).
post #3730 of 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Beware, potential source of regret if you want to keep this thing for several years.

-Peak of its popularity right now
-Each picture of you will be in the midnight navy, if you see the same people you'll stand out a bit each time

To me, this choice seems more rational as a 2nd or 3rd tux.

Fair. I'm a ginger so I have been back and forth on black and navy to soften the extreme against my pasty skin.
post #3731 of 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Beware, potential source of regret if you want to keep this thing for several years.

-Peak of its popularity right now
-Each picture of you will be in the midnight navy, if you see the same people you'll stand out a bit each time

To me, this choice seems more rational as a 2nd or 3rd tux.

Depends what he means by "midnight navy." If he's talking about a true midnight blue, I don't really see this as an issue and it seems a fine choice for a first dinner jacket (Poole even steers its clients to midnight blue over black on dinner jacket commissions). If we're getting more into the navy realm, then I agree it's a bad idea for a first dinner jacket.
post #3732 of 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Depends what he means by "midnight navy." If he's talking about a true midnight blue, I don't really see this as an issue and it seems a fine choice for a first dinner jacket (Poole even steers its clients to midnight blue over black on dinner jacket commissions). If we're getting more into the navy realm, then I agree it's a bad idea for a first dinner jacket.

True midnight blue. I just think it photographs so well.
post #3733 of 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamless View Post

True midnight blue. I just think it photographs so well.

I hear you. You can't go wrong with midnight blue or black. When I get a second dinner jacket, it will be midnight blue peak.
post #3734 of 3735
[IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarkies View Post

Lol! He needs a bowtie though.
post #3735 of 3735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamless View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations