or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 101

post #1501 of 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebbin View Post

What's the consensus on having a black grosgrain bow tie with midnight blue lapel grosgrain interfacings? I doubt I'll find a tie and cummerbund that would match up perfectly with the lapels my midnight blue tux. 

I thought that even a midnight tux was supposed to have black facings, no?

That being said, I've never heard it referred to as "midnight tie", lol so you should be fine.
Edited by TimelesStyle - 9/19/13 at 6:58am
post #1502 of 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebbin View Post

What's the consensus on having a black grosgrain bow tie with midnight blue lapel grosgrain interfacings? I doubt I'll find a tie and cummerbund that would match up perfectly with the lapels my midnight blue tux. 

Perfectly fine.
post #1503 of 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebbin View Post

What's the consensus on having a black grosgrain bow tie with midnight blue lapel grosgrain interfacings? I doubt I'll find a tie and cummerbund that would match up perfectly with the lapels my midnight blue tux. 

You can get a tailor to make you a bow-tie if you want them to match. Pretty easy stuff. Mine did.
post #1504 of 3319

 

Just a picture of my black tie rig for this coming Friday. I'm don't have a tuxedo shirt and I am aware of the shoulder dimpling but I think it should be more than adequate for a university ball. 

post #1505 of 3319
The shirt isn't blue, is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebbin View Post

Just a picture of my black tie rig for this coming Friday. I'm don't have a tuxedo shirt and I am aware of the shoulder dimpling but I think it should be more than adequate for a university ball. 
post #1506 of 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post

The shirt isn't blue, is it?

 

 

No, it's the lighting. It's a white spread collar from Charles Tyrwhitt. 

post #1507 of 3319
^ Then you're good to go. Nice tux, where'd you pick it up? Might you consider having the trousers shortened just a bit? smile.gif
post #1508 of 3319

Half-canvassed suit from a Thai MTM. They managed to deliver it within a week with the requested lowered button stance and wider peak lapels. There are some issues with the shoulder divots but I can't really complain given the relatively low price. I'll see what I can do about the trouser lengths before the event. 

post #1509 of 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebbin View Post

Half-canvassed suit from a Thai MTM. They managed to deliver it within a week with the requested lowered button stance and wider peak lapels. There are some issues with the shoulder divots but I can't really complain given the relatively low price. I'll see what I can do about the trouser lengths before the event. 

Don't lose any sleep over it. Overall you look damn good. Is it a strictly black tie event?
post #1510 of 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post


Don't lose any sleep over it. Overall you look damn good. Is it a strictly black tie event?

 

The event is described as black tie but it's definitely treated more like a prom or high school formal by many of the attendees. Every year, there's photos of law students rocking up in business suits, striped shirts, grey polyester "tuxedos" from H&M, ill-fitting black suits, long ties and alot of rentals.Tuxedos and proper black tie attire are definitely in the minority. 

post #1511 of 3319
All having the effect of making you look EVEN better.
post #1512 of 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post

All having the effect of making you look EVEN better.

+1.
post #1513 of 3319

Sleeve pitch looks off, given the twisting/wrinkling down the arms.

 

Also, look into having the sleeves at the right length.  One seems longer than the other.

Tuck the PS in to only show about 1/4 inch.  This will increase the look of this rig a lot

Others have mentioned the trouser length, as it stands, it looks like a rented piece they made work for you. (this is the perception I get)

The trousers should have no break, and just a clean drape.  It will be magnificent!

 

Overall it has a lot of potential to be outstanding! Just minor tweaks that a tailor should be able to do in a few days or so.

post #1514 of 3319
Looking great again, Stebbin.
post #1515 of 3319
Today's NYT online has slide show of HBO party after the Emmys; lot's of "tuxes" but not one a correct black tie rig using GABTS (generally accepted black tie standards). A bit surprising, even in this debased age, that not even the "adults" in attendance knew what a dinner jacket should be. However, pics of Sofia Vergara insure you're not wasting your time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations