Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- D.C./Baltimore Haberdasher? Last post on 8/6/15 at 7:21pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 9/28/16 at 3:51pm in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 9/19/16 at 4:41pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style Last post on Yesterday at 8:30 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ambrosi Napoli Last post on 3/2/16 at 7:23am in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- How do I have a black tie optional wedding?Last edited: 3/18/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 94post #1396 of 45365/2/13 at 11:07ampost #1397 of 45365/2/13 at 12:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by marcodalondra
The gala dinner for the Dutch coronation:
I like Prince Felipe of Spain dinner ensemble best but for the vest not being low enough. Also Prince Daniel of Sweden use to get his bespoke garments in Naples, but not sure this is.Quote:Originally Posted by JLibourel
You might think that such an event would have been a white-tie affair, but evidently not. The trend to casual has even reached the high levels of royalty.
Two of my Dutch cousins were friends with Princess Marijke/Christina when she was young. There were a lot of cruel rumors back then that the princess was retarded. These were quite false. She was visually impaired, but she was (and presumably still is) quite intelligent and witty.
At least all but two of the black tie rigs were correct; no notches, neckties or 2B jackets. The exceptions were the Jordanian prince (notch lapel, button-front shirt, Rolex GMT) and the EU president (non-black bow).post #1398 of 45365/2/13 at 2:01pm
Yeah. I think it just sort of melts.Quote:
Rompuy's shoes are pretty bad, too.
But I really want to know who lent Jacques Rogge's his tuxedo.post #1399 of 45365/2/13 at 2:05pmpost #1400 of 45365/2/13 at 5:08pmQuote:
Traditionally the Dutch do not do coronations as such (it is a relative young kingdom), but instead this transfer of "power or responsibilities" - the only ruling monarch invited was Prince Albert of Monaco.post #1401 of 45365/12/13 at 7:18amQuote:Quote:
Orchestras are notoriously heinous at that sort of thing. I'm in a local group of surprisingly solid musical ability; the conductor last night worked magic coaxing Mahler 1 out of us, but his take on a white tie rig (with shoulder seams a quarter of the way down to his elbow and a vest through which you could see his waistband) was a little rough. On the bright side, he gets visibly angry at the idea of wearing tuxedos for matinee performances and insists on suits. There is hope.
One of the eight horn players couldn't find his bow tie before the show, so I ducked backstage and snagged a length of matte black 2.5" gaffer tape from the stagehands, out of which I fashioned something that looked acceptable from more than ten feet away.
No photos because I work with these folks on a regular basis.post #1402 of 45365/12/13 at 7:12pm
Will try to post pics from my wedding in a few weeks. Had my tux custom made a few months ago, although I've dropped a little weight since then (I'm an amateur bodybuilder and in a cutting phase for competitions), but I had factored that into my original measurements so right now the tux seems to fit me almost perfectly.post #1403 of 45365/18/13 at 10:28ampost #1404 of 45365/19/13 at 9:48ampost #1405 of 45365/19/13 at 10:20ampost #1406 of 45365/19/13 at 10:28amThank you!
The owner of a local shop that specializes in antiques (mostly silver, but he dabbles elsewhere) is a friend of ours. He came to know that I was looking for a set of very unique studs/links and offered them to my fiancee' out of his personal collection, who then gave them to me as a wedding gift.post #1407 of 45365/19/13 at 1:05pmQuote:great story!Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
The owner of a local shop that specializes in antiques (mostly silver, but he dabbles elsewhere) is a friend of ours. He came to know that I was looking for a set of very unique studs/links and offered them to my fiancee' out of his personal collection, who then gave them to me as a wedding gift.post #1408 of 45365/19/13 at 1:58pmpost #1409 of 45365/21/13 at 5:24pmpost #1410 of 45365/21/13 at 5:47pmQuote:
You are over thinking this.
Wear the vintage bow tie. You will look good.
(coming from someone who bends the rules a bit now and then.)
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 16 seconds ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 25 seconds ago
- › Eidos Napoli 1 minute ago
- › Winter Boot w/ Shearling 2 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 3 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 4 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 6 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 6 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...