Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- D.C./Baltimore Haberdasher? Last post on 8/6/15 at 7:21pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 8:06 am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 6/22/16 at 6:47pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style Last post on Today at 9:58 am in Classic Menswear
- Ambrosi Napoli Last post on 3/2/16 at 7:23am in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- How do I have a black tie optional wedding?Last edited: 3/18/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 94post #1396 of 43605/2/13 at 11:07ampost #1397 of 43605/2/13 at 12:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by marcodalondra
The gala dinner for the Dutch coronation:
I like Prince Felipe of Spain dinner ensemble best but for the vest not being low enough. Also Prince Daniel of Sweden use to get his bespoke garments in Naples, but not sure this is.Quote:Originally Posted by JLibourel
You might think that such an event would have been a white-tie affair, but evidently not. The trend to casual has even reached the high levels of royalty.
Two of my Dutch cousins were friends with Princess Marijke/Christina when she was young. There were a lot of cruel rumors back then that the princess was retarded. These were quite false. She was visually impaired, but she was (and presumably still is) quite intelligent and witty.
At least all but two of the black tie rigs were correct; no notches, neckties or 2B jackets. The exceptions were the Jordanian prince (notch lapel, button-front shirt, Rolex GMT) and the EU president (non-black bow).post #1398 of 43605/2/13 at 2:01pm
Yeah. I think it just sort of melts.Quote:
Rompuy's shoes are pretty bad, too.
But I really want to know who lent Jacques Rogge's his tuxedo.post #1399 of 43605/2/13 at 2:05pmpost #1400 of 43605/2/13 at 5:08pmQuote:
Traditionally the Dutch do not do coronations as such (it is a relative young kingdom), but instead this transfer of "power or responsibilities" - the only ruling monarch invited was Prince Albert of Monaco.post #1401 of 43605/12/13 at 7:18amQuote:Quote:
Orchestras are notoriously heinous at that sort of thing. I'm in a local group of surprisingly solid musical ability; the conductor last night worked magic coaxing Mahler 1 out of us, but his take on a white tie rig (with shoulder seams a quarter of the way down to his elbow and a vest through which you could see his waistband) was a little rough. On the bright side, he gets visibly angry at the idea of wearing tuxedos for matinee performances and insists on suits. There is hope.
One of the eight horn players couldn't find his bow tie before the show, so I ducked backstage and snagged a length of matte black 2.5" gaffer tape from the stagehands, out of which I fashioned something that looked acceptable from more than ten feet away.
No photos because I work with these folks on a regular basis.post #1402 of 43605/12/13 at 7:12pm
Will try to post pics from my wedding in a few weeks. Had my tux custom made a few months ago, although I've dropped a little weight since then (I'm an amateur bodybuilder and in a cutting phase for competitions), but I had factored that into my original measurements so right now the tux seems to fit me almost perfectly.post #1403 of 43605/18/13 at 10:28ampost #1404 of 43605/19/13 at 9:48ampost #1405 of 43605/19/13 at 10:20ampost #1406 of 43605/19/13 at 10:28amThank you!
The owner of a local shop that specializes in antiques (mostly silver, but he dabbles elsewhere) is a friend of ours. He came to know that I was looking for a set of very unique studs/links and offered them to my fiancee' out of his personal collection, who then gave them to me as a wedding gift.post #1407 of 43605/19/13 at 1:05pmQuote:great story!Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
The owner of a local shop that specializes in antiques (mostly silver, but he dabbles elsewhere) is a friend of ours. He came to know that I was looking for a set of very unique studs/links and offered them to my fiancee' out of his personal collection, who then gave them to me as a wedding gift.post #1408 of 43605/19/13 at 1:58pmpost #1409 of 43605/21/13 at 5:24pmpost #1410 of 43605/21/13 at 5:47pmQuote:
You are over thinking this.
Wear the vintage bow tie. You will look good.
(coming from someone who bends the rules a bit now and then.)
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 31 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 56 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official Terrorist Bombing and Other Acts of Inhumanity Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Brexit 3 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › The Grim Reaper - Conne's Obituary Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 6 minutes ago
- › Looking for high quality dress shoes 7 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 16 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding