I'd never wear a flower to a wedding these days unless in the wedding party and instructed. Whether we like it or not, it is a signifier of things and I don't want to break protocol.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- D.C./Baltimore Haberdasher? Last post on 8/6/15 at 7:21pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 3:17 pm in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 2/5/16 at 9:34am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style Last post on Today at 7:48 am in Classic Menswear
- Ambrosi Napoli Last post on 1/19/16 at 9:22pm in Classic Menswear
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The State of Black Tie: Your Observations - Page 82
Styleforum Top Picks
After the ceremony I pluck one from the ceremony arrangements or from the table centerpieces. I am sure that is bad taste, but no one has ever stopped me or complained (to my face).
Hmm...just went to an event hosted by my fraternity. The dress code was black tie, although knowing them, I didn't think they knew what they were talking about. But I didn't give a duck and attended in black tie anyway, and as expected, was the only one wearing what could be considered black tie. Not even the guy who set the dress code.
Yes, I'm still in college, in the fraternity. The others mostly wore suits. I might have seen a few odd jackets; wasn't paying much attention, although one guy had a tux, but with a not-white shirt, not-black vest (not a waistcoat), and a patterned not-black bowtie.
Berate them for looking like assholes. That usually works with my friends.
If I understand button-up shirt to mean a standard white dress shirt, I'd say never. Wear a shirt that takes cufflinks and studs. Either the french cuff or link cuff variety. No barrel cuffs. A tuxedo shirt should be different from a plain white dress shirt.
Are you referring to the marcella style front by "stiff-front?" If so, a shirt in that style is perfectly fine to wear with black tie as is a shirt with tasteful pleats.
I wear a shirt with a fly front, meaning the buttons are covered. It takes cufflinks, but not studs, and the front is smooth with no pleats and nothing but the fly front placket covering the buttons. I would urge you not wear barrel cuffs - links are really required - and to avoid showing regular buttons (either studs or hidden buttons).
Stiff fronts are not only for white tie, but make black-tie even more formal. And would probably look silly with a DB tux, though I won't swear to it. If you are using a single button peak lapel DJ, stiff front with a detachable wing collar can look great.
My Oxxford DB (6 x 2) does not have covered buttons. Af first, I was a bit put off by that, as my prior dinner jackets all had covered buttons, but I've learned to live with it . . . .
- The State of Black Tie: Your Observations
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Things you just don't get 32 seconds ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 33 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 9 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 9 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part Three 10 minutes ago
- › Shoe purge. Saint Crispin's, Enzo Bonafè and Paraboot. 10 minutes ago
- › What to do with this orphaned black tuxedo jacket? Photos included 12 minutes ago
- › I think I hate San Francisco. 12 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 17 minutes ago
- › Massdrop - Official Affiliate Thread 18 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?