• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved

mussel

Reaction score
Apple just unveiled the long rumored iPhone. Apple shares went up more than 8%, single-handed pulled the Nasdaq index out of the red, while shares of cell phone and PDA device makers took a tumble. The button you can find on the phone is a control knob.

noqt_internet20070109.jpg

noqt_maps20070109.jpg

noqt_widgets20070109.jpg

noqt_calls20070109.jpg

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha man i want one so bad, do you know when its gonna be available for purchase?

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
haha man i want one so bad, do you know when its gonna be available for purchase?

june

kimizz0

Reaction score
I wouldn't quite say we're saved yet. The iPhone still only uses 2.75G
frown.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I predict that the limited functionality of the phone, its price, and the fact that it is going to scratch and attract fingerprints like gangbusters are going to send the iPhone the way of the G4 Mac Cube... either that or they are going to dump a bazillion dollars into advertizing it like they did the iPod, and then everyone will buy it even though there are better phones out there, just like they did with the iPod.

Apple wants to sell 10 million of these things by the end of the year... which means the probably need to sell 5-7million of them to break even up to this point. I think thats a little bit of wishful thinking.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh, and the REAL news today is that Apple has given up any pretense of being a "computer" company.

victory

Reaction score
From what I've seen in the keynote, I think it's a solid phone. What would prevent me from getting one is the 2 year contract with Cingular and the price. Oh, also the fact that I'm in Korea right now.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was SO yesterday, you non-CES-following chumps.
wink.gif

The fact that it does not support Exchange / Office has (for better or worse) effectively halved or more, its possible business user acceptance. It's more a "hip phone" like a RAZR, KRZR, RIZR, TAZR, BLZR, PHZR and on that front, I think it succeeds. I'm sure they'll convince enough people that they can't live without it and they'll reach their selling goal .. though 500 bucks with a 2y contract from Cingular exclusively kind of sucks..

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
This was SO yesterday, you non-CES-following chumps.
wink.gif

The fact that it does not support Exchange / Office has (for better or worse) effectively halved or more, its possible business user acceptance. It's more a "hip phone" like a RAZR, KRZR, RIZR, TAZR, BLZR, PHZR and on that front, I think it succeeds. I'm sure they'll convince enough people that they can't live without it and they'll reach their selling goal .. though 500 bucks with a 2y contract from Cingular exclusively kind of sucks..

Apple has never really targeted business users. Very little of their products are geared for corporate/enterprise use. The little that does still isn't ideal for general office productivity, but more for specific tasks like graphics and music. I don't see the iPhone as a huge departure from this philosophy.

In terms of pricing, don't forget, they are calling this phone a Widescreen iPod, so they are probably hoping that everybody's next iPod will be the iPhone. Jobs even broke the pricing down into how much people typically spend on a phone and how much they spend on an iPod and said that is how they decided on the price of the iPhone.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Apple just broken open the smartphone market to everyone, not just business users who are willing to put up with the limitations of current smartphones because of what they get in return. I've been using a Treo (600 and now 700p) for over 3 years, and I think Apple's basically done to the smartphone what the iPod did to MP3 players so many years ago: they've made a smartphone that does the things people find most important (phone, email, surfing, convenience info features) very, very well and very easy to use. For me, the music playback is just icing: I'd get the phone just for the email and web features.

The scrolling and the gesture interface are also so very cool. If you've ever used a Treo, you'll also know how cool a design detail the proximity sensor is.

--Andre

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful. It will drop calls just like any other average phone, it will take horrible pictures via built in camera, it will play music straight to your head and show you super amazing funny and exciting videos. I am sad to say, but there is a huge market for all of this. And yes, Paris Hilton will get the first one for free.

P.S. There was never any real sense in buying anything from Apple unless you are in a publishing business.

Earthmover

Reaction score
I don't understand the negativity.

I watched all of the Keynote speech and I have to say I'm very very impressed with the iPhone. This is conditioned on real-life workability of their touchscreen system, but otherwise, this is what a lot of people wanted in terms of streamlining all their electronic devices. What it is is extremely convenient -- if you're ever on a long commute, an airport, waiting for friends, etc. this device will be the best integrated internet/phone/email system created thus far. And there's a lot of little things that also make this product better than what's been available so far. Things like random access voicemail, ability to listen to music and switch immediately to the phone without having to take off your earbuds, real IM-style text messaging, a real full web browser with easy zoom controls, etc. Once you appreciate the amount of useful ideas they've packed into this deviced on top of the obvious advantages of having all the functions integrated, it really is a bargain. I carry a blackberry for work, a Nano for music and a personal cell phone. It would be worth a couple hundred premium just to be able to integrated everything in a real satisfactory way, and this device allows that without a real cost differential than what you would have paid for already. I think there's a significant market for this because from everything I've seen, it's a very well-designed and easy to use machine.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree that it does put a lot in one device, and that's something I would like. But the cost is what kills it for me. If it's around $650 (after taxes) to buy, and a $100 a month to use, that's $3000 for two years of use. Not worth the premium for me, and the camera will surely not be good enough to replace my existing. Ditto for a lot of people with larger ipods.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
I don't understand the negativity.

I watched all of the Keynote speech and I have to say I'm very very impressed with the iPhone. This is conditioned on real-life workability of their touchscreen system, but otherwise, this is what a lot of people wanted in terms of streamlining all their electronic devices. What it is is extremely convenient -- if you're ever on a long commute, an airport, waiting for friends, etc. this device will be the best integrated internet/phone/email system created thus far. And there's a lot of little things that also make this product better than what's been available so far. Things like random access voicemail, ability to listen to music and switch immediately to the phone without having to take off your earbuds, real IM-style text messaging, a real full web browser with easy zoom controls, etc. Once you appreciate the amount of useful ideas they've packed into this deviced on top of the obvious advantages of having all the functions integrated, it really is a bargain. I carry a blackberry for work, a Nano for music and a personal cell phone. It would be worth a couple hundred premium just to be able to integrated everything in a real satisfactory way, and this device allows that without a real cost differential than what you would have paid for already. I think there's a significant market for this because from everything I've seen, it's a very well-designed and easy to use machine.

Note, I agree with you almost wholeheartedly - the one thing I'm noticing people say, however.. is the ability for this thing to be a smartphone. It does not excel in that regard; it successfully has integrated a number of "lifestyle product" genres but the one I think it'll be the best at is of course, media playback. I would have LOVED for this thing to become my goto device.. unfortunately, it's just not feasible for me as my e-mail is Exchange-based.

brian, I am not suggesting that Apple targets business users specifically - I would like to think, however, that at the price point this thing is touted at (which is usually reserved for the smartphone crowd.. which generally is targeted at business users), it would be more capable in that regard. It would not have taken too much for them to throw a lite version of Thunderbird up there, or at least, given you the potential to do so. They've, in true Apple form, locked up the ability to utilize it outside of their propietary format/design/state and that seems almost like an injustice on a piece of machinery this beautifully designed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads