or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved - Page 15

post #211 of 339


Sorry Brian, I had to.
post #212 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpyro View Post
Sir if you can watch this ad without getting a technology hard-on then I applaud you, because this nifty little device is going to be costing me $600 sooner rather than later.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad2/

The only things that give me a technology hard-on are mechanical watches, and the one I've got my heart set on is going to set me back ten times that much.

You're telling me about a cell phone? Let me show you what I thought of my last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red View Post
As promised, the most hated, most dysfunctional cell phone ever suffers a well-deserved fate.

Damage done by hand:



Apply one Edward Green Malvern:



Behold the very satisfying result:



http://www.styleforum.net/newreply.p...reply&p=534685
post #213 of 339
While I'm suspect of this thing's reliability and longevity, I'll admit the design is nice.

For all of Apple's presumed "Fascist" tendencies, their design department is superior to most other firms.
post #214 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post


Sorry Brian, I had to.

That's hilarious. I don't mind Apple jokes... I LIKE Apple jokes.

Like I said, I don't put my MBP on my lap. But it never gets scalding hot, just uncomfortably hot. Perhaps the new MBP with the Santa Rosa chipset improved on the old shortcomings. I do recall my PowerBook never got anywhere near this heat level, though.
post #215 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post
That's hilarious. I don't mind Apple jokes... I LIKE Apple jokes.

Ditto. I even had the "iProduct" one on my office door.

Quote:
Like I said, I don't put my MBP on my lap. But it never gets scalding hot, just uncomfortably hot. Perhaps the new MBP with the Santa Rosa chipset improved on the old shortcomings. I do recall my PowerBook never got anywhere near this heat level, though.

If anything, my rev. A MBP is cooler on the bottom than my rev. A PowerBook G4 was.
post #216 of 339
Thread Starter 
New York Times extensive coverages on iPhone launching:

NY Times positive review on iPhone

Interactive review on iPhone features

Waiting for the Latest in Wizardry

Video review

Slide show on pictures taken with iPhone

People started to pitch tents outside Apple 5th Ave. store 2 days ago for the iPhone:


AT&T's iPhone plan in comparison with plans from other carriers:
post #217 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
For all of Apple's presumed "Fascist" tendencies, their design department is superior to most other firms.

LK, I would think you'd be the first to point out that fascism and well-executed design are not necessarily contradictory qualities.
post #218 of 339
ipod and the iphone = more podastrians running around oblivious of the word.. sigh...
post #219 of 339
People are praising it for having a "GPS" function - although it isn't real-time GPS. It will draw up the map and directions for you, but you need to MANUALLY click through the steps as you drive to your destination. First of all, I have a TomTom One and I could not imagine having to manually instruct it to go to the next direction (it does that automatically, obvs). Second, the device is attached to the windshield - where do you put an iphone when you're driving? I am still with traditional GPS devices all the way here.

Although the accuracy of the maps will likely be the same - Google Maps pulls data from the same place my GPS device does (TeleAtlas). It's just that the iPhone won't update the directions in "real time."
post #220 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby View Post
LK, I would think you'd be the first to point out that fascism and well-executed design are not necessarily contradictory qualities.
No, most successful Fascist regime utilized a coherent and well-executed esthetic criterion to consolidate and hold power. And that includes military uniforms and regalia.
post #221 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpyro View Post
Sir if you can watch this ad without getting a technology hard-on then I applaud you, because this nifty little device is going to be costing me $600 sooner rather than later.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad2/

dude, he is in Tokyo. The fucking Motherland for tech. Phones there blow away the iPhone and have had the same features (minus shitty touch screen) for ages.

So -1 for you for being a tool
post #222 of 339
Next time I'll pull out my geographical mind reading abilities before replying to someone.
post #223 of 339
Awesome. Looks like Apple nailed another product. I'll grab one 2nd revision. Is this thing coming out in Japan?
post #224 of 339
The video demo of the keyboard is pretty cool:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/keyboard.html

It's very impressive how much they accounted for.

--Andre
post #225 of 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post
Awesome. Looks like Apple nailed another product. I'll grab one 2nd revision. Is this thing coming out in Japan?
None of the web features will likely work there, considering that EDGE is outdated here, and our new stuff has been outdated in Japan for 5 years.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved