or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Buying my wife a goldendoodle: good or bad idea?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying my wife a goldendoodle: good or bad idea? - Page 2

post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf895 View Post

They are not recognized by any of the kennel clubs. There is no recognized breed standard. As such, breeders don't show them for conformation to any breed standard. .

This is not always such a bad thing.
post #17 of 54
The thing is . . The so-called cross breeders charge ($$$$) the same price if not more than what purebred dogs go for. But you're not getting any of the benefits of a purebred dog with 100s of years of selective breeding to prevent genetic diseases and to establish good temperaments.

Why risk the $$$$ when you have no idea what kind of dog you'll end up with? With a purebred from a good breeder, they'll be able to tell you about the kind of temperament and/or any health problems associated with their line. The cross-breeder wouldn't be able to accurately do that.
post #18 of 54
Well, I have a purebred so I'm not opposed but many purebreds are very inbred due to closed registries (among other things) which can lead to those very genetic problems you hope to avoid.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into this.

HS, 'doodles are OK, pretty goofy in my experience and all over the place as far as size and looks. Just go look at dogs and do a bit of reading. When it comes time to buy or adopt, think about talking to Lefty or Jan as they are both really knowledgeable and would likely know or know of breeders in your area.
Edited by NorCal - 11/21/11 at 5:17pm
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf895 View Post

The thing is . . The so-called cross breeders charge ($$$$) the same price if not more than what purebred dogs go for. But you're not getting any of the benefits of a purebred dog with 100s of years of selective breeding to prevent genetic diseases and to establish good temperaments.
Why risk the $$$$ when you have no idea what kind of dog you'll end up with? With a purebred from a good breeder, they'll be able to tell you about the kind of temperament and/or any health problems associated with their line. The cross-breeder wouldn't be able to accurately do that.

This is horrible advice. Purebred dogs - even from so-called "good" breeders - have a terrible track record of genetic abnormalities, congenital diseases, shortened lifespans and overall poor health. This is common sense stuff: the smaller the gene pool the less robust and the more prone to genetic defects. The healthiest dog you can get is the good old-fashioned mutt.

See:
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=7055788&page=1
http://www.dogbiz.com/dogbiz-genetic-disease-guide.html
http://www.dogandcathealth.info/purebreddogs/bbreedhome.html
http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_dg_purebred_dogs_complications

As for "$$$$", why spend "$$$$" on a fancy breed whose grandfather is also its uncle, when you can get a great non-inbred mutt for next to nothing from a shelter?
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post


As for "$$$$", why spend "$$$$" on a fancy breed whose grandfather is also its uncle, when you can get a great non-inbred mutt for next to nothing from a shelter?

Well, there's no guarantee he'll be healthy either, but +1 to this.
post #21 of 54
LOL I've got an Alsador. Or as we call her a mongrel because she's a member of the family not something to use to show off how cool/rich we are.
post #22 of 54
I've never understood the interest in purbred dogs. It sounds like the only kind of thing families with coat of arms who are proud of their racial purity and inbreeding would enjoy
post #23 of 54

A crossbred dog can be as large a genetic mess as a tightly bred purebred. It's not as if the mixing of a Standard Poodle with Addisons and a Golden Retriever with Dysplasia will magically make both health issues go away in their puppies. If you do look at a goldendoodle ask for health clearances on the parents.

 

Do you know this mix? Why does your wife want one? List off as many characteristics in a dog as you can as well as a realistic assessment of your canine experience and I may be able to suggest a few breeds. Or go to a shelter and grab a cute dog.

 

lefty 

post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

A crossbred dog can be as large a genetic mess as a tightly bred purebred. It's not as if the mixing of a Standard Poodle with Addisons and a Golden Retriever with Dysplasia will magically make both health issues go away in their puppies. If you do look at a goldendoodle ask for health clearances on the parents.

Maybe not, but it'll certainly improve their chances.
post #25 of 54
i want a basset hound now frown.gif
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

i want a basset hound now frown.gif

How is your dog doing? Has it had the surgery?
post #27 of 54
she had surgery on friday, mass was actually on the vaginal wall, which is good. still waiting to get the biopsy results back. she's asleep on my foot right now snoring really, really loudly.
post #28 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by apropos View Post

Maybe not, but it'll certainly improve their chances.


Of developing both diseases. Hybrid vigour is a myth. The late geneticist Dr. George Padgett found more hereditary diseases in cross bred dogs than is found in the Cocker Spaniel.  

 

Most GD are scattershot bred and I would no sooner buy one from untested parents than I would any purebred.

 

lefty

 

post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

she had surgery on friday, mass was actually on the vaginal wall, which is good. still waiting to get the biopsy results back. she's asleep on my foot right now snoring really, really loudly.

I hope she continues to recover, nicely.
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Quote:


Of developing both diseases. Hybrid vigour is a myth. The late geneticist Dr. George Padgett found more hereditary diseases in cross bred dogs than is found in the Cocker Spaniel.  

Most GD are scattershot bred and I would no sooner buy one from untested parents than I would any purebred.

lefty

You're forgetting one important thing which makes all the difference - the relative frequency of said genetic diseases in cross-breeds vs pure-breeds. This was not addressed by Padgett in his seminal google page which the both of us are referring to. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Buying my wife a goldendoodle: good or bad idea?