or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › B&S Archive › An idea: item request thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An idea: item request thread.

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
This is an idea whose viability I've wondered about for a while, so feel free to kill it through non-participation.

We have, on these fora, a large number of people who would like very specific items at a small cost. We also have a number of scavengers, myself included, who hit up liquidations, thrifts, etc. on an extremely regular basis. This is in addition to a number of members who would simply like to lighten the load on their own personal closets.

It seems like some use could be made of a "Want it Now" ala eBay scheme, wherein posters offer up specific requests (e.g. "I want a blue gingham check shirt of reasonable quality in a 14.5/32") and perhaps state what these requests are worth to them e.g. ("I would pay $20 for it").

I would think it would be in the best interest of things to keep offers, etc. public so that others will be aware that requests have been fulfilled. This is assuming the request is not something that would require continual fulfillment, e.g. "I would like as many repp ties as possible, each one is worth $10 to me."

Anyway, it's an idea. Seems that a bit of money could be mutually earned and saved this way without the in-store guesswork of "I wonder if someone on the forum would like this?"

I'll kick things off by saying that I am very much wanting a pair of extremely dark (not necessarily raw) denim jeans that are fitted through the body, have a fairly low rise, and are either straight or slightly bootcut. My favorite pair of jeans is in shambles and I'm still pouting. I don't care at all if they're new, and as I am fairly broke at the moment, this would be worth about $50 to me.
post #2 of 58
I will answer briefly: I think this a very good idea, actually I was thinking about it yesterday, maybe we are telepathic haha? The best thing is to start a separate subforum within "buying and selling", so that it's easy to see all requests listed on one's computer screen.
post #3 of 58
OK I'll play.

I need a dark brown suede dress belt (size 32-34) to match the Tramezza Gherardo and the only nice one I found was a $180 Canali, which is too much $. I am ready to pay $50 for a nice one, preferably new and unused. I also prefer silver hardware too.

BTW, do I have unrealistic expectations? I've never paid more than $60 for a belt, even for Zegna, Canali, Pal Zileri... but finding dark brown suede has proven very difficult.
post #4 of 58
I like the idea of the thread, but have a few questions about the execution. What if someone buys something, only to find out that it's not what the poster wanted? Or, to flip it around, what if someone buys something for me that isn't quite what I wanted -- am I obligated to buy it? Should we just stick to NWT items that can be returned?
post #5 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foto010101
I will answer briefly: I think this a very good idea, actually I was thinking about it yesterday, maybe we are telepathic haha?

The best thing is to start a separate subforum within "buying and selling", so that it's easy to see all requests listed on one's computer screen.

A separate subforum might make the most sense, though it would need to be easily navigable by the novice Style Forum user.
post #6 of 58
It's a good idea but at the same time, that's what this forum is essentially for. "Buying and Selling". Most of us use it just to sell but as on other fora, anyone can post a WTB (want to buy) post (common protocol is to start the thread title with "WTB: ")
post #7 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I like the idea of the thread, but have a few questions about the execution. What if someone buys something, only to find out that it's not what the poster wanted? Or, to flip it around, what if someone buys something for me that isn't quite what I wanted -- am I obligated to buy it? Should we just stick to NWT items that can be returned?

There's definitely some risk involved, particularly if people are somewhat vague with their requests, e.g. "I want a pair of khakis in 29x32." I can only say that it is in the best interest of all involved to be very upfront about the specifics of a request if you are going to be a stickler for details. NWT items are "safer," obviously, but offer less value. If, for example, I can buy a bunch of solid-colored Polo RL Andrew shirts for $1 apiece and offer them to someone who likes the shirts and wants a handful of them at a slight profit, we have both benefitted.

Obviously there is the problem of people being ridiculous, wanting new things at absurdly low prices, but that problem would be dealt with organically through non-fulfillment.
post #8 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203
It's a good idea but at the same time, that's what this forum is essentially for. "Buying and Selling". Most of us use it just to sell but as on other fora, anyone can post a WTB (want to buy) post (common protocol is to start the thread title with "WTB: ")

Right, but I think there's a pretty sizable contingent of lurkers and near-lurkers who would be very interested in picking up some staples or more eccentric pieces, but aren't terribly inclined to start a new thread about it. Similarly, there are a number of businessmen, guys who work in offices, etc. who are probably paying too much for workhorse wear that could be easily acquired. What I am proposing is essentially freelance personal shopping.
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill
Right, but I think there's a pretty sizable contingent of lurkers and near-lurkers who would be very interested in picking up some staples or more eccentric pieces, but aren't terribly inclined to start a new thread about it. Similarly, there are a number of businessmen, guys who work in offices, etc. who are probably paying too much for workhorse wear that could be easily acquired. What I am proposing is essentially freelance personal shopping.
Got it. I didn't read your OP carefully...
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL72
OK I'll play.

I need a dark brown suede dress belt (size 32-34) to match the Tramezza Gherardo and the only nice one I found was a $180 Canali, which is too much $. I am ready to pay $50 for a nice one, preferably new and unused. I also prefer silver hardware too.

BTW, do I have unrealistic expectations? I've never paid more than $60 for a belt, even for Zegna, Canali, Pal Zileri... but finding dark brown suede has proven very difficult.

I have seen at TJ Maxx dark brown suede belts for not that much; I don't remember unfortunately the manufacturer.
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL72
OK I'll play. I need a dark brown suede dress belt (size 32-34) to match the Tramezza Gherardo and the only nice one I found was a $180 Canali, which is too much $. I am ready to pay $50 for a nice one, preferably new and unused. I also prefer silver hardware too. BTW, do I have unrealistic expectations? I've never paid more than $60 for a belt, even for Zegna, Canali, Pal Zileri... but finding dark brown suede has proven very difficult.
I bought a serviceable RL belt that fits just that description off eBay for around 25$. I think that would be a good place to look.
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
I have seen at TJ Maxx dark brown suede belts for not that much; I don't remember unfortunately the manufacturer.

If you see another in 32-34, I'll gladly take it. There no TJ Maxx in Canada and have never seen any at the equivalent store (Winners).
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
I bought a serviceable RL belt that fits just that description off eBay for around 25$.

I think that would be a good place to look.

I've looked, nada...
post #14 of 58
I'm requesting a suit that would be appropriate for interviews. Charcoal or navy. No pinstripes or windowpanes.

38-40 regular. Pants need to have an inseam that can be let out to 32", and a waist of about 32". Sleeves need to be 25"+

Style-wise, either a higher stance 2B or 3B rolled to the 2nd button. Double vents are prefered, otherwise ventless (I dont like single vents). Pants should be single pleat or flat front.

My budget is a few hundred dollars.

I'm thinking something like Canali, Corneliani, Zegna, etc.
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
I have seen at TJ Maxx dark brown suede belts for not that much; I don't remember unfortunately the manufacturer.

I picked up a dark brown Ben Sherman suede belt for less than $20 at TJ Maxx... after searching for months and not finding anything cheaper than a $99 brown suede Allen Edmonds belt.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: B&S Archive
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › B&S Archive › An idea: item request thread.