or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss) - Page 210

post #3136 of 4189
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

I know what you mean; I didn't know the verb/expression.
I understand. There's really no hope for that label. They should start from scratch. And "they" shouldn't be the same "they". smile.gif

Yep, it's all about perception, doesn't matter if it's real or perceived. There was a very interesting show on recently that really drove this home. Really cheap wine in two different bottles. All that was different was labels. One label was all frenchy looking and the other was some generic looking label with a disaster of a name. Everything was dependent on perceived quality and the results were unreal yet very much expected. Perceived quality is oft times the deciding factor in purchasing versus real quality. You see it everyday. It's funny how your brain can make you believe things that are not necessarily real or true.
post #3137 of 4189
The power of a good design sways everything under the sun. People want to feel like they're getting something good and not having the label (of anything really), which is the first thing often people see, makes the company look bad. If they can't do good branding, etc..what else isn't good about their product (we assume everything and pass it over) . I'm not using the bottle as an example just speaking on anything really. I know what it's like to work with a bad product, you just have to work with it and make it the best you can. Now if the client says they want something that you know won't work then yes you can step in and explain why it doesn't and how you think it would be better, thus improving their profits. If the client wants to run over you and get you to do something you know will fail (remember that it's also a representation of your work) then I'd just walk away.
post #3138 of 4189
Quote:
Originally Posted by il ciclista View Post

The power of a good design sways everything under the sun. People want to feel like they're getting something good and not having the label (of anything really), which is the first thing often people see, makes the company look bad. If they can't do good branding, etc..what else isn't good about their product (we assume everything and pass it over) . I'm not using the bottle as an example just speaking on anything really. I know what it's like to work with a bad product, you just have to work with it and make it the best you can. Now if the client says they want something that you know won't work then yes you can step in and explain why it doesn't and how you think it would be better, thus improving their profits. If the client wants to run over you and get you to do something you know will fail (remember that it's also a representation of your work) then I'd just walk away.

How very true. My client is very receptive to my ideas so once we get into Winter we'll be doing some redesigning. This is one of those deals where I inherited some problem children but that's just the way it goes. As far as walking is concerned I've done my fair share of that as well. When I know it's going to be a disaster or the concept just won't work I'm not interested in the project at all no matter how good the money or exposure is.
post #3139 of 4189
and then there's Ektar...

Just playing around with the 102 and a new macro zoom lens. Ektar is quickly becoming my film of choice for landscapes and outdoorsy stuff. It's easy to use, relatively cheap and as long as it's reasonably exposed the results are excellent.

7985480925_ce249cae0a_z.jpg
OGW Ektar Minolta SRT-102 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

7985491944_0f8d37002c_z.jpg
OGW Ektar Minolta SRT-102 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

7985482965_c3df657284_z.jpg
OGW Ektar Minolta SRT-102 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

7985496368_761fbf9aa8_z.jpg
OGW Ektar Minolta SRT-102 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr
post #3140 of 4189
this bee was really getting after it haha
7990726221_937e6ce013_z.jpg

7990726147_f24e369e2b_z.jpg
post #3141 of 4189
: ) Second one is nice too, IC.
post #3142 of 4189
thanks nobd, nothing compared to your macro shots but I try wink.gif
post #3143 of 4189
Not true, but I'll take the compliment. smile.gif
post #3144 of 4189
Yes, "Move closer" was (is?) a great thread.
post #3145 of 4189
Couple recent street shots

7997567490_cfcd7a7161_z.jpg

7997561487_6a4c5e5ee7_z.jpg
post #3146 of 4189
Great colours, shoreman. And interesting second picture... SoCal's dad?
post #3147 of 4189
Ha, no, just your average dude wearing most of a nun's habit.

Also, after using iPhoto for years, I recently upgrade to Lightroom. Holy shit!
post #3148 of 4189
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post

Ha, no, just your average dude wearing most of a nun's habit.

But of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post

Also, after using iPhoto for years, I recently upgrade to Lightroom. Holy shit!

I did the same thing a few months ago. I used the Canon and Fujifilm software with PS before, but now use Lightroom to process my raw files. Sounds like you like it?
post #3149 of 4189
Yeah I like Lightroom a lot. Only been using it a couple of weeks so haven't really put it through all the paces, but the color/tone adjustments are more intuitive and more subtle. I want to go back and fix the white balance on dozens of shots I butchered with iPhoto (and, let's face it, when I shot them). White balance for mixed indoor available light is probably my #1 problem with the digital pics I take.

The workflow I'm still adjusting to, but the results I've been quite happy with.
post #3150 of 4189
Yes, I understand white balance problems. Sometimes B&W is a convenient solution smile.gif.

I'm happy with it too. It's a lot of software for your dollars (euro's in my case).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)