or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter - Page 6

post #76 of 1735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post

You will be much happier when you start to expect less from humanity.

I think there is a lot of philosophical truth to that.
post #77 of 1735
OE! Can I presume that Napoli has your allegiance now?
post #78 of 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post

You will be much happier when you start to expect less from humanity.

whoops ^^^^^ shog[1].gif
post #79 of 1735
This is what we have to deal with in England. Our country is full of scum like this. It's hideous, shameful, horrendous, disgusting.
post #80 of 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafan View Post

OE! Can I presume that Napoli has your allegiance now?

Forza Napoli!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen View Post

This is what we have to deal with in England. Our country is full of scum like this. It's hideous, shameful, horrendous, disgusting.

That's a little strong, no? I find what happens on the subway a mild inconvenience, but nothing more than that. Actually, its inconvenience is outweighed by its value as amusement.
Edited by odoreater - 11/29/11 at 9:48pm
post #81 of 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post

Forza Napoli!!!!
That's a little strong, no? I find what happens on the subway a mild inconvenience, but nothing more than that. Actually, its inconvenience is outweighed by its value as amusement.

Problem is, this happens everywhere.
post #82 of 1735
I think this thread could use a positive character. I happen to like a performer who has his spot staked out each and every time I switch lines at one particular station. He's always there belting out some older American artist's work, like Johnny Cash. He's pretty unobtrusive as he doesn't clog up foot traffic, and he's actually doing something which merits giving him money unlike others who just sit there with a cup in the middle of the walkway.
post #83 of 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullytra View Post

I think this thread could use a positive character. I happen to like a performer who has his spot staked out each and every time I switch lines at one particular station. He's always there belting out some older American artist's work, like Johnny Cash. He's pretty unobtrusive as he doesn't clog up foot traffic, and he's actually doing something which merits giving him money unlike others who just sit there with a cup in the middle of the walkway.

are you kidding me? you must be a tourist, those guys might be the most annoying
post #84 of 1735
I can't help but be equally impressed and annoyed by the performers at train stations.
post #85 of 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

are you kidding me? you must be a tourist, those guys might be the most annoying

I don't think I'm a tourist anymore. What's so annoying about someone performing on one of the walkways near a platform? I'll agree that on the actual metros they are annoying, but next to a platform you only have to hear them for a max of 3-5 minutes if you're near their spot.
post #86 of 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

I found on the London Underground if someone was trying to strike-up a conversation with me, it was because they where up to no good, trying to sell bootleg cigarettes or some other nefarious things.
Here when someone starts a conversation with me on public transport, it's usually because they want to practise their English. I've even managed to get some good private tuition work this way as well.

HELLO MY NAME IS JON I WOULD LIKE TO PRACTICE MY ORAL ENGLISH SKILL WITH YOU
post #87 of 1735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullytra View Post

I think this thread could use a positive character. I happen to like a performer who has his spot staked out each and every time I switch lines at one particular station. He's always there belting out some older American artist's work, like Johnny Cash. He's pretty unobtrusive as he doesn't clog up foot traffic, and he's actually doing something which merits giving him money unlike others who just sit there with a cup in the middle of the walkway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

are you kidding me? you must be a tourist, those guys might be the most annoying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

I can't help but be equally impressed and annoyed by the performers at train stations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullytra View Post

I don't think I'm a tourist anymore. What's so annoying about someone performing on one of the walkways near a platform? I'll agree that on the actual metros they are annoying, but next to a platform you only have to hear them for a max of 3-5 minutes if you're near their spot.

I purposely didn't include them because well, if you can entertain me you have earned that $1 I give you. I am a musician so if I see something that impresses me, I will chip in.

It is annoying when they try to preform and get money when the train is way too crowded with annoyed people, however. All in all these people mean well, which can't be said about the other offenders.
post #88 of 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I purposely didn't include them because well, if you can entertain me you have earned that $1 I give you. I am a musician so if I see something that impresses me, I will chip in.
It is annoying when they try to preform and get money when the train is way too crowded with annoyed people, however. All in all these people mean well, which can't be said about the other offenders.

If its a large platform than im ok with it as long as there is no drumming. last thing i need on my way home from work is another headache, on the train, those people should be arrested.
post #89 of 1735
An amusing subset of the subway demographic:

The Oh Shit I'm in Brooklyn Tourist
Regular commuters see this all the time. A group of mostly domestic tourists will hop on a downtown train figuring they all go to Ground Zero, Century 21, etc, get confused, miss their stop, head under the East River, pull out their subway maps and realize they're in Brooklyn. Eyes get wide. Panic sets in. Hopefully then a reassuring NYer will tell them just to go to the other side of the Fulton, Borough Hall, Court St., platform to return to civilization.
post #90 of 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post

You will be much happier when you start to expect less from humanity.

This is the mentality that is ruining the world. Expect more, get more. Expect less, get less. I don't have kids, but when I do I'll expect the same amount of respect and consideration towards the common man that I was held accountable to. More people should hold their friends/family to that standard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter