or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter - Page 27

post #391 of 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

and if you have to bring a bike and can't use it for whatever reason (it's pouring rain out and you neglected to check if it was going to rain today, or somebody blew up the Brooklyn bridge so you can't use it, or you popped a tire from trying to hop sidewalk curbs all afternoon), then get on at the last car of the train which is usually the least populated. Common sense.

This. There have been a couple of times where I had mechanical issues which prevented me from riding that I've had to bring the bike on the subway with me. I got on the very last car and there was PLENTY of room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

I will take a crosstown bus if I'm above 60th. Other than that, no busses. And I'll do a cab if I'm drunk, carrying something really heavy, or the rare occasion where the the trains are down (which is NOT rare at all) and I have an appontment or a reservation to be at some place at a given time and that time is very soon (very rare). Even when I'm at work late and a free ride is on the company, I'll still take the train.
You saw Manton on a platform of the 6? Were you the guy that mentioned his book to him?

The M23 is a fantastic crosstown bus whereas the M42, M34, and M14 are all atrocious. I also take the 2nd ave and 1st Ave uptown/downtown buses on occasion and the M72 across the park is always a good one.
post #392 of 1742
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

I will take a crosstown bus if I'm above 60th. Other than that, no busses. And I'll do a cab if I'm drunk, carrying something really heavy, or the rare occasion where the the trains are down (which is NOT rare at all) and I have an appontment or a reservation to be at some place at a given time and that time is very soon (very rare). Even when I'm at work late and a free ride is on the company, I'll still take the train.
You saw Manton on a platform of the 6? Were you the guy that mentioned his book to him?

Yeah, I do drunk cabs, that is about it. Crosstown above 60th is hard for obvious reasons. It is rare that I do it.

I did see him on the six. It was last summer. I would have liked to chat more, but he was with somebody. I didn't want it to be even more awkward than it most likely already was. I didn't mention his book, though.
post #393 of 1742
ha, damn. Apparently somebody approached him on the platform and mentioned the book. He was with a female co-worker and in his own words "She was super impressed. I could have closed."
post #394 of 1742
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

ha, damn. Apparently somebody approached him on the platform and mentioned the book. He was with a female co-worker and in his own words "She was super impressed. I could have closed."

Wait, then it probably was me. I'm trying to remember what I said exactly, but he was with a woman. She looked baffled when I said, "Excuse me, Mr. Anton, right?"

I guess he learned something about PUA that day.
post #395 of 1742
laugh.gif yeah then it probably was you. Awesome.
post #396 of 1742
Great thread. For me personally the NYC subway system provides much more entertainment than aggrevation. It helps when I'm feeling blue to know that there are people out there that can't reach the day-to-day conclusions and decisions needed as part of living and working in a large city that I consider subconscious at this point.

But Yesterday Was Cold Guy
Given how much people feel the need to talk about the weather, I would think it a virtual impossibility that an unseasonably warm day or snow storm could sneak up on anyone. Earlier this month, on a day that is forecasted to reach the mid 70s, I see TONS of people on either the 4 or 5 train bundled up in their overcoats, scarves, and winter hats. This could go two ways: 1. The person is sweating like a pig and I get to lol and feel superior, or 2. The person shows no sign of discomfort and I get to be amazed by their zen-like state. No lose situation. These are for the most part educated people headed to their office job. Are there really people out there that have smartphones and don't check the weather.com hourly forecast before they get dressed for the day?

Express Train Agnostics
Overheard a group of tourists all excited that they found the Fulton St. stop and they could take the 6 all the way to 96th street. Enjoy that ride during rush hour. I debated telling them to change to the 4/5 at Brooklyn Bridge but didn't trust them to figure out transferring again.
post #397 of 1742
I'm confused about the last part. First, the 6 doesn't stop at Fulton street so they couldn't take it to 96th, and 2) the 4/5 doesn't stop at 96th
post #398 of 1742
Must have been thinking Brooklyn Bridge, not Fulton. The move would be to take the 4/5 from Brooklyn Bridge to 86th and change to the 6.
post #399 of 1742
Thread Starter 
Two days ago I was at the Prince St. N,R, (and formerly W) station waiting for the uptown train. This girl in a hurry comes through the turnstyle and quickly asks, "How do I get to the Downtown side!?" I have to admit, I got a bit of joy when I told her she had to leave the station and cross Broadway to get to the other side. I am such an asshole.
post #400 of 1742
I had just swiped through w/ my monthly when this slightly older woman tried to buy a card (8th St. N/R station, w/ no booth). She came to the turnstiles and asked in a bitchy voice if someone would 'sell' her a swipe as the machines weren't working. My monthly, having just been swiped, wouldn't work for another 15 minutes so I shrugged and said sorry. She then began harranguing me "look I'll pay $2 for the ride, what is wrong with you?!" and furiously shook 2 singles. I told her that a ride is $2.25, and that if she would do better if she rounded her offer up to $3. She then went into a state of high dudgeon and angrily crawled underneath the turnstile...
post #401 of 1742
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafan View Post

I had just swiped through w/ my monthly when this slightly older woman tried to buy a card (8th St. N/R station, w/ no booth). She came to the turnstiles and asked in a bitchy voice if someone would 'sell' her a swipe as the machines weren't working. My monthly, having just been swiped, wouldn't work for another 15 minutes so I shrugged and said sorry. She then began harranguing me "look I'll pay $2 for the ride, what is wrong with you?!" and furiously shook 2 singles. I told her that a ride is $2.25, and that if she would do better if she rounded her offer up to $3. She then went into a state of high dudgeon and angrily crawled underneath the turnstile...

I hate fare evaders.
post #402 of 1742
Where does this fall on the subway etiquette spectrum?

Fare strike!
post #403 of 1742
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Where does this fall on the subway etiquette spectrum?
Fare strike!

Assholes.
post #404 of 1742
if they really wanted to fuck with the MTA, a few of them should just take a "leap of solidarity" onto the tracks during rush hour.

assholes.
post #405 of 1742
Two weeks ago on an uptown 6 at 4pm:

Saw a tired looking 30 something woman (looked like she might work in a salon, but only be allowed to blow dry the hair?) ask to share the earbuds of a attractive 20 something man. He awkwardly gave it to her as she obviously tried to chat him up. She asked to browse the song collection on his iphone, he deflected and offered to flip through it to show her what he had. This lasted for 2 stops before he signaled it was his stop. She didn't remove the earbud, so he had to awkwardly yank it out of her ear and "jokingly" wipe it off on his jacket. After this point she kind of began to deteriorate on the train, rubbing water through her hair and then slowly applying some bright red lipstick.

Luckily she got off with me at the 77th street stop, walked next to me for a few paces and then quickly stepped to the left, where I heard the noise of a zipper. After taking a few more steps I looked back to find her in a corner, squatting with pants around her ankles. Her face was a brilliant mixture of pain and pleasure. I was tempted to photograph her but she clearly had some boundary issues and would have probably tried to chase me down and rub piss/shit on me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter