or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter - Page 69

post #1021 of 1742
My commute was a 10 minute walk door to door a few years ago. Trouble is that meant I ended up spending longer in the office than others. Never seemed fair to me that just because someone has chosen to live miles away it's ok for them to be out the door at 5.30, but I'd get dirty looks if I did the same because everyone knows I'm just round the corner.

Decided if you can't beat them, join them and moved out of London to the country.
post #1022 of 1742
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

How long are your guys' commutes on the subway? Door to door?

20 minutes.
post #1023 of 1742
Thread Starter 
In between an apartment and a closing for a condo I lived with my girlfriend for a month in Midwood, Brooklyn. Way the fuck out there. My commute went from 15 minutes to over an hour. I wanted to put a bullet in my head every last minute of that month. To make matters worse the subways were messed up on the weekends due to construction for that month. One day on the bus it took me over 3 hours to get to Manhattan. I was so pissed, another 4 and I could have been in Europe. I was also very nauseous on that bus and when I finally got off it was like 90 degrees outside and I seriously thought about offing myself.
post #1024 of 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

In between an apartment and a closing for a condo I lived with my girlfriend for a month in Midwood, Brooklyn. Way the fuck out there. My commute went from 15 minutes to over an hour. I wanted to put a bullet in my head every last minute of that month. To make matters worse the subways were messed up on the weekends due to construction for that month. One day on the bus it took me over 3 hours to get to Manhattan. I was so pissed, another 4 and I could have been in Europe. I was also very nauseous on that bus and when I finally got off it was like 90 degrees outside and I seriously thought about offing myself.


Yeah...parts of Midwood has some beautiful homes, but it is out there commute wise.
post #1025 of 1742
Thread Starter 
Yeah, she had a giant 2 bedroom for like $1,000 a month. She lives with me now and she misses how cheap the grocery stores were there. Also, they had the weirdest kinds of foods you can only get out there. She still makes trips to get good blood kalbasa and weird fish that I would never touch.
post #1026 of 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

How long are your guys' commutes on the subway? Door to door?

Between 15 minutes and 85 minutes.
post #1027 of 1742
Thread Starter 
Well, you live in Japan where everybody is crazy in terms of commuting.
post #1028 of 1742
i find that 30-45 mins. is fairly typical for NYC, and even in Manhattan.

when I was in DC, my commute was 30-45 minutes, but it was in a car, which was awful. Subway time > car time, but one needs a newspaper.
post #1029 of 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

subway time > car time, but one needs a newspaper.

Definitely. I get most of my reading done on the subway.

I swear, Kindles were made for the subway commuter.
post #1030 of 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Definitely. I get most of my reading done on the subway.

Agree...I read going and coming and at times have ducked so that someone that I know does not come over and talk to me during this time.
post #1031 of 1742
Thread Starter 
I don't get anything done on the subway. I walk longer than my subway commute is. I am too easily distracted to read on the subway. Plus it is always sardines so it would be cumbersome.
post #1032 of 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

times have ducked so that someone that I know does not come over and talk to me during this time.

I've totally done this too.



I've noticed that the morning commute is a no-talk zone for 99% of riders, and rightfully so. The evening commute tends to be more vocal.
post #1033 of 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

at times have ducked so that someone that I know does not come over and talk to me during this time.

Hahahaha, me too. I have moved cars before so I wouldn't have to talk to someone I knew because I wanted to just read my book.
post #1034 of 1742
Thread Starter 
Totally. It is especially awkward when that person is an okcupid date you had a night of debauchery with 5 years ago.
post #1035 of 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

I've totally done this too.



I've noticed that the morning commute is a no-talk zone for 99% of riders, and rightfully so. The evening commute tends to be more vocal.


A few weeks ago I jumped on the F at my stop heading to work. I saw a customer sitting in the car not far from me(I was standing). I pretended that I didn't see him. I actually had an appt at his office later in the day...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter